Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling (1 Viewer)

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
i dont think that it matters whether you can remember it or not.. well, it shouldnt, cos lots of people after they go through a trauma like seeing someone die they try to block it out or they just cant remember cos its too big... so if that was the case then perhaps lots of people wouldnt be able to see them just cos they cant remember it....
GR! its just annoying... i find unanswered questions and stupid little mistakes like this so infuriating... i hate it!

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
yeah, but isn't there a difference between being too young to remember it, and simply blocking it out from the trauma??

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
mmm... but i dont think that he was too young... if he can remember it, even though it was with the dementors he still does remember it. its still there

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
ok, apparantly, harry didn't actually see the parents die, like he saw cedric die....

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
hmm... with the Lily thing, it was pretty obvious that she was with Harry when she died. wasnt she protecting him? i think its a little weak that it has to "sink in" but oh well, its not my book.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
i dont think that matters. youre still concious at that time, so even if you dont actually rember it its still in your mind/brain/ memory.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
What??? of course it would be. everything that happens to you would be stored somewhere. its just that you cant access some stuff.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
okay okay... calm down. i just find it a little stupid thats all... god, i love the books, theyre excellent, i just feel that its not the best explanation for it....
im not gonna stop reading the books because of it, for crying out loud.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
i think JKR also said on her website, that harry didn't couldn't see the thestrals before because he didn't actually see his parents die - he was in the cot and could only see the green light etc.

i'll try and find it from her site.

edit finally found it, after reading the FAQ 2398472 times, i remembered it was hidden under the dark mark -___-

Q: "why could harry see the thestrals in 'order of the phoenix'? shouldnt he have been able to see them much earlier, because he saw his parents/quirrell/cedric die?"

A:
i've been asked this a lot. harry didn't see his parents die. he was in his cot at the time (he was just over a year old) and, as i say in "philosopher's stone", all he saw was a flash of green light. he didn't see quirrell's death, either. harry had passed out before quirrell died and was only told about it by dumbledore in the last chapter.

he did, however, witness the murder of cedric, and it is this that makes him able to see the thestrals at last. why couldn't he see the thestrals on his trip back to the train station? well, i didn't want to start a new mystery, which would not be resolved for a long time, at the very end of the fourth book. i decided, therefore, that until harry is over the first shock, and really feels what death means (ie, when he fully appreciates that cedric is gone forever adn that he can never come back, which takes time, whatever age you are) he would not be able to see the thestrals. after two months away from school during which he has dwelled endlessly on his memories of the murder and had nightmares about it, the thestrals have taken shape and form, and he can see them quite clearly.

Last edited:

MajinR

Procrastination Master
HSC
seen that, funny but at the same time not funny... since i hate getting a book ruined... I think the book was already selling when he got it, like he probably bought it 5 mins after it came out and flipped to the end or something... you'd have to watch it again and listen what he says the time was, and when the book actually came out...

persephone

HSC
Very funny. The chick at the end who was yelling bitch was funny.....But I would have been pissed. Although I got the ending spoiled for me right here on BoS and I was yelling at the computer screen...

somechick

HSC
N/A
persephone said:
Very funny. The chick at the end who was yelling bitch was funny.....But I would have been pissed. Although I got the ending spoiled for me right here on BoS and I was yelling at the computer screen...

my brother read it before me and he was like threatening me the whole time. !!!!

haley11

HSC
Well im a slacko and i got distracted while trying to read Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix so i didnt finish it. However I started it again so i could remember what happened so i could start reading the new book.
And i quite agree that it is very irritating that people who have finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince are revealing everything that has happened.
It is a disapointment to others who have yet to read the new book or who have not finished it .

somechick

HSC
N/A
yeah!

i was on my school bus the year that OOTP came out and these rat-children were yelling out (the monday that it came out)
"yeah, blah blah blah dies!!!!!!!" at the top of their voice, and i was like
GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!
you evil little morons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)