HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - thoughts (SPOILERS!!) (2 Viewers)

Aralia

Mieow...
HSC
LOL - the book came out on Saturday morning...Bought it at 0930 at Big W. Went home, read 60 pages, went to work 2 hours later, came back home, read it more. The next day...work, work, read, read.

Nothing special...except I'd sat up on Sunday night - the whole night, lying in bed and finishing the book. I was really numb at the end lol. 4 hours of sleep. The headache I got the next morning wasn't cool either - start of the 2nd uni session *sigh*

I did all this 'cos ppl kept ruining every book for me since the 4th.

lisajf

C'est la vie
HSC
Hey everyone just wondering if any one can push me in the right direction about a new series to get stuck into aolong the lines of harry potter?

J

jhakka

lisajf said:
Hey everyone just wondering if any one can push me in the right direction about a new series to get stuck into aolong the lines of harry potter?
The best thing I would suggest is to try something new. As much as I enjoy the series, there are other books out there, people.

Isobelle Carmody's Obernewtyn Chronicles are quite good. So are Sean Williams' Books of the Change and Books of the Cataclysm.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
It annoys me when people say stuff like that. We're all aware that there are new things out there but we want more Harry Potter. Stop patronising us.

J

jhakka

And it annoys me when people aren't able to find something they enjoy without needing it to be exactly the same as something else. Go investigate it by yourselves. "Harry Potter" is not a taste or a genre, so no one will be able to tell you if you'll enjoy other titles as much.

lisajf

C'est la vie
HSC
I know there are othe things out there i was merely suggesting in the genre of adventure/fantasy. I have read romances and murder mysterys and other stuff however i dont enjoy them as much as i do with adventure/fantasy style genres. Im not a complete moron and dont need to be patronised and derrrr i am searching for something myself i have been web surfing as well as going into libraries/bookstores and simply thought that people would have good recommendations for fantasy/adventure. No need to get all uppity.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Yes, jhakka, the point is that I'm rather sure everyone is aware of something so obvious.

"Harry Potter" is not a taste
I'd say that there's enough unique to the series to give it its own very distinct flavour.

J

jhakka

And despite all the threads full of book reccomendations, it still needs to be said apparently.

Anywho, I mentioned two authors whose books contain similar themes to Harry Potter in my first post, so while I'm being a patronising bastard, I'm also being helpful and giving you what you want.

lisajf

C'est la vie
HSC
I know there are threads with book rec ommendation but i wanted to know what people who read HP thought of any other Series or trilogies. At least you can admit your a patronising bastard...lol any way...peoples opinion in Wheel of Time, His Dark Materials, Obernewtyn Chronicles and Abhorsen Trilogy would be appreciated. :)

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22618569-12377,00.html
Harry Potter author JK Rowling has confirmed what fans have long suspected - the principal of Hogwarts, Albus Dumbledore, is indeed gay.

Rowling outed the headmaster at a sell-out appearance at Carnegie Hall in New York. After a brief reading from the final book in the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Rowling took questions from the audience.

When a young fan asked if Dumbledore would find "true love", Rowling answered: "Dumbledore is gay".

The outing was greeted with gasps, then applause from the crowd, the Associated Press has reported.

Rowling revealed that Dumbledore was still smitten with evil wizard Gellert Grindelwald, whom he defeated in battle.

"Falling in love can blind us to an extent," Rowling explained, defending Dumbledore's taste in men.

She said Dumbledore had been "horribly, terribly let down" and that his doomed love for Grindelwald was his "great tragedy".

millstone

HSC
Holy Mother Of God
I Can't Believe Of All Characters
Dumbledore Is Gay

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
millstone said:
Holy Mother Of God
I Can't Believe Of All Characters
Dumbledore Is Gay
Yeah I know!!!

Although this did cross my mind at one point, and i was like "Dumbledore?...naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh." I'm not really happy with this revelation at all.
This news is going to be a cause for a grand celebration for gay harry potter fans, Dumbledore is now going to be a gay icon for gay guys around the world, lol :p

millstone

HSC
i had always imagined prof. sprout being a lesbian
or remus (damn tonks, wrecking my theory)
or even flitwick!
but never dumbledore

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
^ Me too, i always suspected Flitwick being gay, Crabbe and Goyle as well. But, it was dumbledore the whole time :mad1:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
stfu bazookajoe!

Yeah, Dumbledore suits the mould I suppose. I always thought that he and McGonagall were more than just workmates, even though I kinda suspected Dumbledore had to be gay. But hey, apparently not.

HSC
Wow. I guess that explains why he was unwilling to go and fight Grindelwald until he couldn't avoid it. In retrospect I can kind of seem him as gay

It's a wonder they didn't get Ian McKellen to play him in the movies :)

kloudsurfer

HSC
Im totally suprised

Am I the only one who didnt suspect that any of the characters are gay?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)