• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HARRY POTTER & THE HBP - what did you think? (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

jennylim

HSC
oh and now i defend!!!

the romantic relationships were not at all unrealistic. the kids are 16 (or 17). since when do average teenagers have terribly complex spiritual relationships foreshadowed with circle symbolism since the age of 11? exactly, they don't. they have hormones, they feel attracted to people and they feel happy when they're with the person they like. in the case of ron - i challenge you to find me an insecure 16 year old boy who will pass up the opportunity to have a rather physical relationship with a pretty girl who clearly thinks he's fantastic (or at least acts it to his face).

in harry's case: for those who think his attraction to ginny is rushed, may i just ask how long you need YOUR crushes to develop? harry took the better part of a year which i actually reckon is slow!! speaking as a teenager, i can sometimes just meet someone and think "hey, he's hot...let's see what happens now." or whatever.

now i shall vehemently challenge the idea that it was completely based on romance. although romance was certainly a way bigger factor than it has been in any book, i attribute it to the fact that they are now 15-17 and acting their age - and also to the fact that i bet it'll be pretty much ditched in bk7 in favour of action, action and action. this book was based on voldemort's backstory, the growing relationship between harry and dumbledore, and most of all on harry's growing maturity. we see the contrast of dumbledore telling harry not to worry because "you are with me" to him telling harry "i am not worried - i am with you." we see harry realising that he has made the choice to hunt voldemort and that he is walking into the arena with his head held high.

it's got character development and the interesting sideplots like malfoy's possible (hopeful) redemption. it's got a very interesting and morally ambiguous plot regarding snape and his future/current motives.

that is what harry potter and the HBP is about. not just romance!!

the adventure at the end was sinister rather than exciting and climactic - but JKR has said that bks 6 and 7 are like one book split in 2. i believe the lack of a "climax" in bk 6 is that bk 6 is pretty much laying the ground for a big climax in bk 7. so i'll forgive her for not that much action.

now onto personal opinions....

i thought the first chapter was hilarious and rather topical actually. especially the PM of britain waiting for a call from a president!! hahaha.

the title of the HBP may in fact hint at further snape significance...but otherwise i get your point, that certainly was the oddest title of the lot. like chamber of secrets is all about the chamber of secrets, the prisoner of azkaban is about the prisoner of azkaban and so on.

haha sorry for the monster post shinigamideathg, i love HP to death and this book is certainly among my favourites now!!

mahuligan

HSC
''the adventure at the end was sinister rather than exciting and climactic - but JKR has said that bks 6 and 7 are like one book split in 2. i believe the lack of a "climax" in bk 6 is that bk 6 is pretty much laying the ground for a big climax in bk 7. so i'll forgive her for not that much action.''

i completely agree with you on that. everyones been whining about how this book was the least exciting of them all but i really think it's just laying down the foundations for an amazzzinnnggg finale.

googooloo

HSC
jennylim said:
4) he and narcissa are having it off and he wants to do a big favour for her and save her son (who he also likes heaps, though not quite in the same way).

who knows??
So true that one, it's my fav. version.

p.s. i haven't actually read the book. But I knew the snape killing dumblie by ppl blurting it out.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC

jennylim

HSC
hahaha omg the new trailer is FANTASTIC. i love the music, i love the camera work, i love how exciting it looks, i love how krum is really cute...hehehe.

it all looks great and harry's nervous "i was just wondering if..maybe..." is so goddam cute!!!

anyway this is a random post for me to show off my new av.

*shows off*

ps: googooloo you're not alone...plenty of severus/cissy shippers out there!!

jennylim

HSC
The_highwayman said:
Jennylim. that av is hilarious! LOL. where do u find em?
haha..i nick them off ppl in hp forums (eg sugarquill)...or hp websites. snapey is one of my favourites (altho i gotta say for an all time great av, you can't go past PaleReflection....)

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Sorry to bump the thread guys, but I finally got around to reading the book.
By any chance did anyone ponder on the idea that Aberforth Dumbledore might be the barman at the hogs head? I remember in OOTP that Harry picked up the distinct smell of goats in the bar and if I remember correctly wasn’t Aberforth once charged with putting illegal charms on a goat, which was recognised in GOF. In HBP Dumbledore shows that his friendly with the barmen, as seen when he met with Voldermort about the dada job. This might also answer where Fawkes went at the end of HBP, if indeed this theory is correct.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
gah!! when?! where?! when did she say that it was him!!?

keladry

lady knight
HSC
isn't it fairly common knowledge? its been around for a while...

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yep, read it for the first time a few days ago, after Chem was over! :D I cried at the end--I NEVER (seriously) cry from reading a book but this time I did! Any ideas who RAB is? That fake Horcrux bothers me a lot. And Snape--well, we all knew he was a dodgy figure since Harry first came to Hogwarts, but seriously, killing Dumbledore? Oh well...

keladry

lady knight
HSC
i'm not convinced that snape killed dumbledore for an evil reason tho... somehow to have snape, a complex character, turn one-dimensional doesn't sound right to me...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)