HARRY POTTER & THE HBP - what did you think? (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

kaylz

HSC
I read it today... Did she reallllllly have to kill dumbledore?

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
i wonder how helpful dumbledores portrait will be

E

Elenessa

I read the book in 3h 10min and I'm sooooo glad i found the post cuz noone would let me talk about HP & HBP as they thought I'd tell them.

Last edited by a moderator:

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
persephone said:
I remember that bit. I guess I just didn't notice the word slut....
as if you didn't! it certainly was the highlight of the book for me.

imagine all those mummys and daddy's having to explain to their kids what a slut is. it's fantastic!

littlemic21

Lurking In The Shadows
HSC
bubz :D said:
please read the first post of the thread.

i just finished. i'm lost for words.

i have never cried so much while reading a book before. i didn't cry when he actually died, but i bawled my eyes out in the last two chapters. i loved dumbledore.

and i'm also absolutely distraught that raiks's spoiler ruined it for me, because as soon as i'd read about snape in the first few chapters, i KNEW that his spoiler (ie, a photo of page 566 of our version) would be true.

a few things:

- i found this much funnier than OoTP.
- i kinda liked harry/ginny.
- could R.A.B be regulus a. black? (sirius' brother) though we don't know his middle name
- i liked JKR's uses of the words "slut" and "ejaculate" :p not sure if the parents'll be too happy though, keep an eye out on smh etc :p

more later

*sniffs*
where does she use ejaculate??

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
littlemic21 said:
where does she use ejaculate??
he doesn't "ejaculate", not in the sense we're used to anyway.

i can't be bothered to get the book right now, but it was towards the end, i think it was slughorn's reaction of dumbledore's death. something along the lines of "omg i can't believe it!" slughorn ejaculated.

very austen-esque.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
bubz :D said:
he doesn't "ejaculate", not in the sense we're used to anyway.

i can't be bothered to get the book right now, but it was towards the end, i think it was slughorn's reaction of dumbledore's death. something along the lines of "omg i can't believe it!" slughorn ejaculated.

very austen-esque.
dang, thats not half as cool as what i thought it was going to be...suddenly im slightly less interested in this book lol.

littlemic21

Lurking In The Shadows
HSC
ok thanks, found it

'Snape!' ejaculated Slughorn, who looked the most shaken, pale and sweating. 'Snape! I taught him! I thought i knew him!'
and i agree with everyone else, i really liked the book but all the relationships seemed like a horrible piece of fan fiction, just not true to rowlings style

persephone

HSC
I was on some other forums and they wre discussing how there was something not quite right about this book. I think they're going into conspiracy theory overdrive. But there is something not right with this book. And despite the New York Times giving it a positive review (and they mustn't be fans), all these other people are very confused.

There's a HBP discussion here....you have to be registered to actually read it. You don't have to wait for an email to validate your account either.

http://talk.portkey.org/index.php?act=idx

Abraxus

HSC
first i'll say that i'm not gonna bother with using roll-overs since everythings been blown in the last 8 pages anyway..

yea, i agree there was a lot of "wtf humour" as i'd like to call it .. i've agreed and disagreed with heaps of stuff i've read in this thread, since theres been so many posts its hard to quote everyone. but i did agree that the romance shit was overdone and sounded like the heap of fan fiction that i've read and been appalled by. but like mrs weasley said, i reckon jo just wanted to emphasise dumbledore's point about the power of love.

unlike most ppl seem to think, i reckon the book answered heaps of unanswered questions arisen in the first 5 books. i wasnt surprised by dumbledore's death, nor was i expecting it, so no comment. i like to tackle the books without expectations or predictions, its how i enjoyed the first 4 books way back in 2000, which is why i stay away from all forums and sites regarding future books (or just 'book' now).

and for those who're angry bout the infamous spoiler .. how could you even go browsing around online while still readin the book? in the 24 hours it took me to read it i avoided the computer at all costs .. not long after book 5's release a guy on my msn list put in his nick, "for anyone who hasnt read HP5, sirius dies!!", so i wouldn't be surprised if in a few minutes he'll have the same thing about dumbledore. there are dickheads out there that take pleasure in delivering unwanted spoilers without warning, i thought the book 5 release taught us all that. if u really didn't wanna ruin your reading experience, stay away from the net, trust me!!

Last edited:

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
lol lol @ wacko theories:

I just noticed something weird. The binding of the UK Version, like the spine, is the exact same colour as CoS. No other spine has been the same colour. Is there something about the CoS that we're missing, perhaps Ginny being possessed?! Could Voldemort be controlling Ginny to get Harry away from himself? To keep him occupied. Something wasn't right here, and now I'm wondering if it is linked to CoS in a way. Ginny was most dominant in this book. Could Voldemort be behind it?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Well people have been saying 'oh, why is Ginny suddenly attractive to boys, that's soooo unreasonable'.... and I think it's completely reasonable, and realistic. Many girls 'come out of their shell' around age 15-16 and I think that's what happened to her.

I think the Ginny = Voldemort's tool, again, thing is a bit far fetched though.

HSC
I thought originally that books 2 and 6 had a lot in common but that JK had removed most of those links in editing book 2 and so that now they have the same amount of relevance to each other as they do to all the other ones.

kirabolton

HSC
I've actually changed my mind, i quite liked it in general. At first i was so pissed off about Snape but now that i think about it, it was a good move by rowling because nobody was expecting it. its pretty cliche that dumbledore died, but it was pretty damn sad that snape did it. i think the whole dumbledore not being so powerful and you know, dying and all, makes room for Harry to really step up and boy did he mature doing this book. yep. thats all i've got to say. oh and i agree that the ships were pretty fan fictiony, especially harrys sudden 'oh i love ginny'. it was kind of annoying.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
mrbassman said:
so who is R.A.B. ????
Suppose it would be Regulus Black. Thought it might be Aberforth Dumbledore using a nickname.

And don't be so quick to accept her merry little tale about snape going to the "dark side". He knows Riddle is using him and don't miss the fact that he protected Malfoy and didn't kill Harry. Actually it's kind of obvious he has his own agenda. Even Herminone (who Rowling more often than not uses as the voice of reason) sort of forgives him ("Hate is a very strong word"), so I think it's safe to bet it won't be a clear cut "Oh I'm snape look at me, I'm all evil and stuff now!".

ishq

brown?
HSC
I agree with Slide.
Also, we don't really know what Dumbledore meant when he said "Severus please.." It could have been an ask to put him out of his pain.

Who is RAB? A new character, most probably.
Who guessed that Snape was the HBP? It took me a while, but I got with the Draco incident.

Do you guys reckon Dumbledore will live on as a portrait in the headmaster's room and keep giving directions/teaching his knowledge? Because I cannot imagine anything happening with him completely gone.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
argh just finished the book...
whos rab dammit? and does anyone else think that the potions teacher is a bit of a wuss? he didnt fight or nothing...

and bubz i think you should change the thread to include spoilers without having them roll over things since i cant do em...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)