Has anyone gotten a band 6 without reading any prescribed Texts/Novels? (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
I was wondering whether any1 here has received a band 6 in english without having read any of their prescribed novels or texts, just summaries, notes, etc. ?

Simile

HSC
N/A
My friend just memorises his pre written essays and adapts it to the question.. So yeah I guess it is possible.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
i got band 5 from that so close enough

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
coz i don't read any of my prescribed texts and use summaries to make a killer essay, i got 94% in my yearly lol
The marking standards for the preliminary year vary dramatically from HSC. TBH I don't think unless you were actually a genius of fuar levels, its highly recommended to read the text. If you don't put the work in, don't expect great results.

HSC
coz i don't read any of my prescribed texts and use summaries to make a killer essay, i got 94% in my yearly lol
Does not mean you'll get 94% in the HSC.

Not trying to be rude or anything -

Your cohort for English may be bad or crap, and hence why your essays are killers. Or maybe not.
However, remember in the HSC your Essay is competing against essays from other advanced students from selective schools like ruse, baulko and what not. And to a HSC marker, your essay may be horrible in comparison to another persons.

The HSC involves hard work and continual effort. One cannot cheat the HSC and expect to get a high mark. So read your prescribed texts.

Last edited:

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Sometimes (with Shakespeare) our teachers tell us not to read the texts! Lol strong logic, but they give us summaries and analysis and it preey much feels like we know the play anyway, so yeah I guess it's possible and a way to save time.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
But that pretty much gives most of those students in the class the incentive to regurgitate what the teachers gave them which may not necessarily to achieve the top marks.
truee

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
You can pull it off for most modules e.g. Belonging, Module A and Module C.

Would not recommend it for Module B.

Seriously, Module B has very specific questions in the HSC so if you don't know your Module B text(s) holistically, you might find yourself in a bad situation.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I guess it is possible (i.e. through getting a set of extremely good notes from an expert in the texts), but there is very little point in speculating on this, because earning results through one's hard work, and part of that involves reading and analysing prescribed text (a vital process of engaging with one's learning) will be vital for long term academic success-in this case, I am trying to emphasise the importance of attitude towards one's studies rather than just looking at defining an individual by numbers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)