has anyone started their compositions? (1 Viewer)

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
Cubase sux, it never lets you do anything you want
i had to delete half of my comp today because it wouldn't quantize properly and stuffed it up.
thank god i saved it beforehand :D
but yeah, cubase is crap
have you tried band in a box? it's not as hi tech, but it's good for chordal arrangements and stuff

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
Originally posted by fingolfin101

I'm not all that familiar with midi's, but is there any way you can make midi's sound good?
the words "midi" and "sound good" don't really go together

chepas

HSC
Originally posted by Crikket
the words "midi" and "sound good" don't really go together
LOL - Touch. Unless you have this really A1 top of range sound card. My home computer sounds like shit but when I put it on the school's a piano sounds like a piano, but a trumpet sounds like someone stepping on an alto duck.

I didn't realise that there were so many notation software things out there. Apart from Sibelius/Finale/Cubase and about2 others... mmm.... I used Sibelius for the first time at this compo day somewhere last year and I liked in instantly.

What programmes do people use? Cubase, Sib, etc?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
i have this crappy program at hom called cakewalk, but thats only crappy cos i reckon i probably don't know how to use it correctly.

theres sibelius, which is only very good if you can read music well... it allows you to do the stuff that cubase doesn't like rubato etc.

cubase is good for score notation. ie. if you want something played through midi, sib is the best but cubase aligns everything and, if quantized correctly, works well for notation.

i've never personally used band in a box, but i've been told that for sounds its really good and for arranging things -- for different instruments etc.

chepas -- i'm only doing one comp, so my whole phrase is for the core comp -- finally decided on a cello and oboe as my instruments of choice. :D

chepas

HSC
Yay for revelations! I seriously need inspiration for the core. Would a brass fanfare be Australian/25years enough? If it included like, didjeridu, shakuhachi and a zither?

Back in the dark ages (like, 4 years ago) I bought this really cheap and nasty notation software Music Works Personal. It was slow and argh and all the visual stuff you had to format yourself. NOthing was automated, and it was just really cumbersome. When Sibelius came it was like stepping into Narnia...

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
Originally posted by ujuphleg
i have this crappy program at hom called cakewalk, but thats only crappy cos i reckon i probably don't know how to use it correctly.
lol, actually knowing how to use it might come in handy :p
so what's the easiest software to use for recording and notating?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
they all depend really. how much you know them really defines how good they are. i have mates who don't read music, use cubase and get FANTASTIC results. but give them sibelius and they'll be up the creek without the paddle. whatever works for you really. what course do you do crikket?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)