• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Have any of you ever had a really bad workout? (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
1) Rippetoe is really pedantic about the way you hold the bar in the squat. He says to make sure your wrists are straight (which I find a bitch to do) but I noticed that most powerlifters have bent wrists anyway. Whats your opinion on it?
AFAIK one of the reasons which Rippetoe specifies the straight wrist is because it helps create a very stable platform for the bar.

Oliver04

HSC
AFAIK one of the reasons which Rippetoe specifies the straight wrist is because it helps create a very stable platform for the bar.
I'm getting a bit bored of rippetoe.

I think if you're lifting for 'general strength' like a football team or something he's fine, but for powerlifting, olympic lifting or bodybuilding he just has a general idea of how to approach it.

rozymisty

HSC
nooo i have a perfect workout each and every time!! (being sarcastic there of course!!)

what a fucking stupid question!! How can you NOT have a bad work out?!!

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Hey guys. Heres what I do.

3x12 Military Press
3 x 21s
4x5 then 1x8 of bench pressing
3x12 machine fly
3x 12 machine row
3 x 12 other machine row, narrow grip
3 x12 other machine row with wide grip
3 x 12 lat pull down
3x 12 shoulder press machine
3 x 12 tricep cable pulldown
3 x 12 other tricep cable thing ( forgot its name)
3 x 12 bicep curls
3x12 upright row.

Also eating alot of stuff, wont I get fat?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
you need the food to give you energy AND to help rebuild your muscles after a workout. You wont get fat, though u may gain SOME fat, which is why professionals tend to bulk up heaps, then once they're satisfied they shed whatever little fat they may have gained to get a sculpted greek-statue-esque physique.
Food is a major player in determining muscle growth.

also, what are 21's?

Oliver04

HSC
as far as I'm concerned shroom is a troll. we've linked him to shit, explained shit in depth for entire threads and still he manages to be a moron.

don't feed him omie.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
You do 7 full bicep curls, then 7 which are from the half way point to the end bicep curl position, then 7 from starting position to the halfway position, if that makes sense.

Also, since squats are good for growth because of the testosterone level increase, does the machine squat replicate the free weight squat?

And if I were to do 1 hour of cardio every second day when im not doing weights, would that be bad for muscle growth.

BreezerD

HSC
Im not trolling, its just, differetn sources say different things.

You say, eat whatever, as many trips to McDonalds as possible.

Others say, for a 91kg guy 3000 calorie from healthy food is enough.
Bulking Up And Gaining Muscle For The Bodybuilder

read that link.
Okay I'm drunk so I'm going to be really blunt here;

Oliver and I are the strongest people on this forum by FAR. I don't know about him, but I've been lifting for about 7 months now. I've gained 20kg and added about 200-250kg to my big 3 total in that time and remained pretty lean during that time. I'm one of the strongest high school students in the country at any weight and I weigh under 95 kilos.

You, however, are weak and thin. I don't know how long you've been lifting, but after 3 months I had gained 14 of my 20kg.

I promise you that I am doing things the "right" way. This is evident from my results. You should listen to me and the people I listen to.

BreezerD

HSC
You been on the vb breeze? you be bloody careful...
Yuck. I was drinking carlton dry; not my #1 choice, but it was free.

EDIT: Shoom, it's better to not drink alcohol if you want to get strong.

Last edited:

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
dont try to push it too much if you're having a particularly bad day. last time i just wasnt focussed and up to it, i decided to push through it, and ended up injuring myself. not fun.

Oliver04

HSC
Yuck. I was drinking carlton dry; not my #1 choice, but it was free.

EDIT: Shoom, it's better to not drink alcohol if you want to get strong.
thats okay then.

Once I had a mate, he just had a sip of vb down at the pub...Woke up the next day in Zanzibar tied to a goat and a police officer just walks up to them, shakes his head and wacks a marriage permit on his head. That stuff's crazy, I get drunk just thinking about it.

Oliver04

HSC
Update on powerlifting:

I gave the 'Newcastle Powerlifting Branch' a call off the Australian IPF website, its a dead email and a dead phone number. I'd say there was a group but no longer.

Breeze put me in contact with a guy who's competing at the worlds named Scott who goes to my uni. I've spoke to him and once he gets back from the worlds we might have a beer and start training together down at the uni gym.

Tim035

HSC
Update on powerlifting:

I gave the 'Newcastle Powerlifting Branch' a call off the Australian IPF website, its a dead email and a dead phone number. I'd say there was a group but no longer.

Breeze put me in contact with a guy who's competing at the worlds named Scott who goes to my uni. I've spoke to him and once he gets back from the worlds we might have a beer and start training together down at the uni gym.
Is the uni gym at Newcastle any good? There is a 20% chance I may end up their next year doing Master of Pharmacy, if I can get the finances together to live their.

I'd imagine being able to train with a guy that has dedicated his life to lifting and is competing in worlds would be so awesome.

@ Shrooms '21s' - I've seriously seen skinny teens at my gym doing those, I just put on my 'I' am disappoint son' face and keep working out.

BreezerD

HSC
I'd imagine being able to train with a guy that has dedicated his life to lifting and is competing in worlds would be so awesome.
His life isn't quite dedicated to it but he's passionate about it. He's 20 now I think, so it's just junior worlds, but he has been to worlds every year since he was about 17, he set a deadlift record in the 56kg class (200kg or so) when he was 17 in France.

Oliver04

HSC
Is the uni gym at Newcastle any good? There is a 20% chance I may end up their next year doing Master of Pharmacy, if I can get the finances together to live their.
Never seen it tbh I work out at home, by the sounds of things it wont be that bad.

Come on down, you can have a beer with me.

Lulz, powerlifting isn't that bigger sport man.

@ Shrooms '21s' - I've seriously seen skinny teens at my gym doing those, I just put on my 'I' am disappoint son' face and keep working out.
dunno what it is and dont wanna know.

Tim035

HSC
Lol, don't ask me why but I jumped to the conclusion he was one of those world strongest man competitors....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)