Having panic attacks due to chemistry Prac (1 Viewer)

bibi34

HSC
N/A
This term we are doing a titration for Chemistry which is worth 20% of our mark. Honestly speaking I suck at any Practical stuff. I am terrible at delicate things like handling a burette, reading the meniscus etc.

Ever since we have started doing this Prac and making solutions etc. I seem to be getting extremely paranoid and anxious. It's all I can think about. I can't stop worrying that something will go wrong. When I am using my equipment my hands shake and my nerves go all over the place.
I can't seem to get anything right. I knock things away, I have made my standard solution thrice in case something went wrong the first time.

I can't concentrate on anything . I don't even want to study anything else or basically do anything else because all I can think of is how not to fail this prac assessment. I can't eat, sleep, study anything.
It may seem like an exaggeration but I honestly cannot afford to lose 20% of my chemistry marks. I feel so lost.
What do I do?

Last edited:

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Relax a little :) it will be ok if u relax and ease ur mind a bit

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Just chill.

If there's a written part I would focus on calculations but if there isn't just concentrate on trying your best.

You'll be fine.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Don't worry, I stuffed up my prac (it was titration), because every time I did the titration I spilt it (haha fail by me!). My ranking for that particular was really really low, and I got pretty pissed off about it. However, don't worry about it, 20% isn't the end of the world!

Mine was worth 30% (+I also stuffed up our 20% research task) :) however I still got a band 6 in my HSC, so I wouldn't worry too much! If you deserve a good mark in the HSC then you will get it, if you work hard enough

bibi34

HSC
N/A
Don't worry, I stuffed up my prac (it was titration), because every time I did the titration I spilt it (haha fail by me!). My ranking for that particular was really really low, and I got pretty pissed off about it. However, don't worry about it, 20% isn't the end of the world!

Mine was worth 30% (+I also stuffed up our 20% research task) :) however I still got a band 6 in my HSC, so I wouldn't worry too much! If you deserve a good mark in the HSC then you will get it, if you work hard enough
WOW.You must've gone to a school with a good ranking. Sadly mine is not even in the top 200's.

HSC
You'll be ok mate! Just take it easy during the experiment and don't rush. Just a tip to make sure you put on the safety glasses and don't take them off til your done..

If it helps I sucked at Chem Prac's but I made sure I familiarized myself with the experiment being tested and ended up coming 2nd with a score of 30/32 :)

Last edited:

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Ok first of all 20% is not the end of your HSC. Secondly, there is a written part to the practical, so if you study all things to do with titrations, and do practice problems, you'll be able to ace that. Also, you'll only earn several marks for actually doing the titration; the rest is about the method, reliability, validity + accuracy - so make sure you study all of these very well and look at all possible sources of error. Thirdly, you have to relax! I was in the EXACT same situation as you; I was nervous about my practical and thought I would do badly. Our teacher let us all practice doing titrations outside of class to build our confidence. Maybe you could ask your teacher to do the same. After doing a few practice runs, I felt better. I ended up coming 2nd in the prac with 48/50. Remember most of the marks are not earned by getting good titration readings.

Yes the practical part sounds scary, but its not the main point of the task. Honestly, the teachers want you to know how to titrate, but they care more about whether you know the steps involved, how to take averages, and discuss the results as these will be tested in the HSC.

Jimmy2064

HSC
Chill! Pracs are honestly the easiest way to get marks! It's just a simple matter of following a few guidelines. Nerves and anxiousness are your biggest problem! I just did my titration today and I thought it was pretty simple, just take your time.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
just chill down... chill down and take da chill pill.

don't worry, be happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)