Head/Observation Checks (1 Viewer)

ionlydochest

HSC
N/A
So i did my P's test last week and I failed because i had 4x observation errors, 2 of which are my fault and 2 of which i wasn't unsure about. So i was doing my test at liverpool. Apparently i got a headcheck error when leaving the parking spot from the RMS. Can anyone explain to me why is that? What do i have to check? When i turn right out of the parking spot, do i have to head check the car to my right? Also, i was pretty sure i headchecked when i did my kerbside stop, is the only head check i have to do is both mirrors and to my left when i indicate just before i pull over, like changing lanes? Also, this may not be relevant but i got a signalling error for my 3 point turn which i pretty sure i indicated for all 3 turns and when pulling over.

Do i have to headcheck through the back window everytime i hit the reverse gear? Never had an instructor and i failed because of that. :vcross:

Can someone run me through the headchecks for the manouvres please?
Thanks so much. My next test is in a weeks time and Im hoping i finally can get my p's.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Those headchecking are all bs. Just keep turning your head and you'll pass, "fake observations".

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Those headchecking are all bs. Just keep turning your head and you'll pass, "fake observations".
Not really. I've been in situations where there is too much water from rain on my mirrors and have had to rely solely on head checks as I pretty much had no mirrors.

Also if you frequently drive on a multi-lane highway/motorway which consists of merges, you'll get into a crash quite easily if you don't turn your head. There's been many times where I am about to enter a lane but some person is speeding and randomly goes into the lane I was intended to get into. If I didn't turn my head at those times I would have gotten into some serious crashes at 100+ kph.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Not really. I've been in situations where there is too much water from rain on my mirrors and have had to rely solely on head checks as I pretty much had no mirrors.

Also if you frequently drive on a multi-lane highway/motorway which consists of merges, you'll get into a crash quite easily if you don't turn your head. There's been many times where I am about to enter a lane but some person is speeding and randomly goes into the lane I was intended to get into. If I didn't turn my head at those times I would have gotten into some serious crashes at 100+ kph.
I definitely agree with its necessity in real life scenarios. But I believe that the RTA makes it appear almost like a joke with the amount of times you have to do it. Like what the OP said about their observation when leaving the parking spot.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Basically you need to head check before every single turn you make.... so your points were deducted with reason.
When you turned right out of your parking spot you should've head checked right
When you kerbside stopped you head check just as/after you indicate
With 3 point turns I'm pretty sure you only signal twice. On the initial turn, then the last one. My instructor didn't have me indicate during the middle reverse portion.

I just came home from a lesson lol that is the source of my info, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong guys

I already have all of my hours done and could've gone for my test a while ago but I strongly advise against going for the test without at least one lesson beforehand. There are so many things my instructor has shown me that two years on my Ls with 3 different drivers plus a skim through the L book did not teach me.

leehuan

HSC
Basically you need to head check before every single turn you make.... so your points were deducted with reason.
When you turned right out of your parking spot you should've head checked right
When you kerbside stopped you head check just as/after you indicate
With 3 point turns I'm pretty sure you only signal twice. On the initial turn, then the last one. My instructor didn't have me indicate during the middle reverse portion.

I just came home from a lesson lol that is the source of my info, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong guys

I already have all of my hours done and could've gone for my test a while ago but I strongly advise against going for the test without at least one lesson beforehand. There are so many things my instructor has shown me that two years on my Ls with 3 different drivers plus a skim through the L book did not teach me.
With a 3pt turn, I indicated a kerbside stop first. Then I indicated right to commence the 3pt. That was it.

Anyway, on the original note.

You're supposed to be reversing AND looking backwards at the same time. That rear vision mirror isn't gonna tell you if you're about to crash into a car behind you.

As for the kerbside stop, I just made sure there were no cars everywhere, mirror check, blind spot check and was fine.

When you're pulling out, from an angled parking lot, a headcheck is always necessary. For a left turn, just checking your right is sufficient. But for a right turn, in any scenario, you have to give way to anything on the left, right AND straight ahead if you're the one entering the traffic and the oncoming cars are in the high risk of crash zone. You never have right of way when you're right turning from a give way scenario.

Of course, if you're right turning and THEY have give way, just make sure there's no oncoming traffic. But clearly you did not fail that.

Last edited:

ionlydochest

HSC
N/A
Thank you so much guys. So when i leave the parking spot, i make sure i headcheck right when i leave. I forgot it because there were cars and i had to wait a while. And the 3 point turn only needs one indication when you do your initial turn to the right?

When i was reversing, i used my side mirrors because the street was empty. How often do i have to look at the rear window? I'm used to using the middle mirror to reverse.

Thanks for all your input.
Wish me luck Monday!

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Thank you so much guys. So when i leave the parking spot, i make sure i headcheck right when i leave. I forgot it because there were cars and i had to wait a while. And the 3 point turn only needs one indication when you do your initial turn to the right?

When i was reversing, i used my side mirrors because the street was empty. How often do i have to look at the rear window? I'm used to using the middle mirror to reverse.

Thanks for all your input.
Wish me luck Monday!
my instructor says to turn and look at the rear window for the entirety of the period I'm reversing

ionlydochest

HSC
N/A
Oh. I will do that in my test. Thanks a lot guys. How about for reverse parallel parking? I usually use the side car as reference points so do i still have to look at the rear window the whole time? Or am i allowed to use the centre mirror. How often do they require you to look at the rear window?

Reverse parking is indicating --> pulling over next to car infront with a gap of a meter ---> head check side and oncoming traffic and side mirrors --> put gear to Reverse and check rear window --> head check side again and reverse. Is there anything i'm missing?

leehuan

HSC
If you're reversing, your main point of focus is where you are going. So for normal reversing, look straight back. For reverse parallel, look to the back-left whilst occasionally glancing at your left mirror for the sake of reference.
Reverse parking is indicating --> pulling over next to car infront with a gap of a meter ---> head check side and oncoming traffic and side mirrors --> put gear to Reverse and check rear window --> head check side again and reverse.
I have my gear on reverse but then I do all of my checks, that way once I'm done checking I can reverse.

But make sure you reverse properly.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Trust me make sure you look physically before doing anything in reverse... the other day I was coming out of the garage and backed into the neighbours bins :L...

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Trust me make sure you look physically before doing anything in reverse... the other day I was coming out of the garage and backed into the neighbours bins :L...
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT PLS EVERYONE TAKE NOTE

(once someone literally backed into the side of my car because they weren't looking)

Ekman

HSC
Do you have sensors or a rear camera at all?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)