Help, advice and encouragement needed!! (1 Viewer)

ATAR Achiever

HSC
Hello to all who are able to help me,
My problem is probably unfamiliar to most of you, but I would just like to get some advice and encouragement from any who can give it. I started year 12 this term, term 4 2013, and now that the holidays are in clear sight I am realising that with the relaxed study plan I have been following, I am behind in terms of work, marks and motivation!
What I want to know most of all is whether I can catch up and achieve the end result that I soo badly want (ATAR 90+). I know that with hard work, perseverance and a good attitude we can all work wonders, but at the moment one feels as though I may be starting too late to achieve my goals.
Thanks for your time, I know that there are those of you who care and people out there who will help me, much appreciated!!

zhusalmz

HSC
neck up, I started in February of this year, let alone having a 6 week holiday to study. If you honestly need encouragement from a bunch of people on the internet who couldn't care less about you, you should reassess your motivations. 20 minutes into your hsc and its "already too late" lmfao get real

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Advice-in this upcoming summer holidays, you should strive to:

1) evaluate your previous term's performance and establish short term and long term goals and strategies on how you could improve, establish more efficient/effective study habits-experiment with new study methods and routine, organize your room/study file/study schedule if you haven't done so-and enforcing regular self-discipline and independent learning in your study.

2) revise over all content learnt(because they will be examined in trials and HSC-so more regular revision is better than revising the whole year's worth of content at the end of the year) and learn new content-preferably at least one term ahead of the school, but make sure you do questions/practice essays/creative to be able to utilise both past and new content effectively-highlight any parts you don't understand to ask the teacher during next term

3)To finish exam preparations for assessments that are established early next term, i.e. perhaps your half-yearlies for English, and to finish assignments due early next term as well as any homework allocated by your subject teachers

4) Do not sleep too late-you should establish a regular sleeping pattern to maintain good health as well as do a regular amount of exercise.
Make sure you are studying at hours optimal to your alertness and concentration, and establish an objective for each study session and strive to achieve it, and upon achievement of that objective, you should reward yourself-either with free time, a snack, or something else. Time is a luxury in the HSC, so make sure you are planning your holidays well before hand and using it very wisely-in a way that you will not be regretting.

5)For English, you should strive to read all your prescribed text and perhaps start finding related text for your relevant modules.
Overall, you should be aiming for consistency, persistence and balance in your holiday study schedule:)

Encouragement:
1)go to this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pEBz6PzF50-watch the video, re-watch it if you need to-it will give you some good boost of short term motivation

2)"I started year 12 this term, term 4 2013, and now that the holidays are in clear sight I am realising that with the relaxed study plan I have been following, I am behind in terms of work, marks and motivation! "
The facts are you have more than 75% of your HSC journey left to go(I have included the holidays into account), that means you still have the majority of your marks up for grabs-where there are at least 3-4 more assessments for each subject you do, and multiple by a minimum of 5 subjects, that is at least 15-20 more opportunities to lift up your game and maximise your internal marks and get help from your teachers, and you probably have more than 5 subjects, so that means many opportunities-that is up to you to now focus and maximise your performance in these upcoming tasks-hence it is not too late. Plus you are conscious of the fact that you cannot maintain a relaxed study plan and you need to catch up-these upcoming 6 weeks of summer holidays will be the perfect opportunity to do that. You can do it if you choose to believe you can:)

3)"What I want to know most of all is whether I can catch up and achieve the end result that I soo badly want (ATAR 90+). "
If you so badly want that ATAR, stick it up on a wall, repeat to yourself everyday you are going to get that ATAR, you should not be asking the question of 'whether I can?' but you should be asking much more pragmatic questions such as "How can I?" and "What goals I need to achieve to get to my ATAR goal?", whenever you feel demotivated, visualise the joy you will feel in getting an atar of 90+, but at the end of the day, what's equally important as achieving your ideal atar is for you to be able to say, at the end of the year, that you have given the HSC your best shot and have no regrets-change your study habits now to make sure you maximise your potential-doing the hard work this year will maximise your chance of getting your desired uni course in minimum amount of time.

4)"I know that with hard work, perseverance and a good attitude we can all work wonders, but at the moment one feels as though I may be starting too late to achieve my goals."
Ok, so you know the ingredients to success, then you must use these ingredients on a daily basis to concoct success, you must take it one step further than knowing, you must start truly believing in these qualities as the keys to 'success' and you must start practising them. It is like knowing a maths concept is inadequate, you must practice that maths concept and understand how it works. Stop feeling and stop your low modality, self-doubt language, 'I may be starting too late to achieve my goals'-start working and remember this, it is never too late to start, if you believe you can, you can, if you believe you can't, you can't-it is that simple, your self-belief will literally determine a large extent to which you shall achieve the success you desire.

I live by a mantra, 'When you fall, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again'-essentially it means that when you do well, you remain humble, and when you don't do so well, you persevere and keep trying and NEVER, EVER give up:) If you have any questions about English or the HSC-you are always welcome to pm me over the holidays:)

Hope my advice helps and I wish you all the best for your HSC year:) I have belief you can pick yourself up and redeem yourself with hard work and brilliant results at the end of the year. Now you just have got to start believing in yourself:) (and study very hard of course)

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Some great advice by strawberrye. At this point, you definitely have time to turn things around - I mean, chances are you have only completed a small fraction of your assessments. I'd use the holidays to catch up first and foremost and then I'd work on coming up with a gameplan for this year - like strawberrye said, assess what you have done wrong in the past and develop mechanisms to fix these issues.

gwilymprice

HSC
What I did for motivation was printed out my atar goal and first preference for university, then put it on the wall where I worked and studied. Then when you study and think 'can't be bother' or 'this is too hard' you can look at it and remind yourself what you are doing it for. Helped me heaps, but don't know if you would like it. Hope it helps a little and I hope you have a good 2014

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
(asian accent) Do you want to be garbage man or doctor? Study hard!

DanS

Born to do better.
HSC
Just a little note everyone....

I know this guy quite well, and I can truthfully say that he way overstating his case! In reality, he poses quite a problem to my ranks in most subjects. But either way, the motivation is always needed for all of us... thanx all! (except maybe the 1st replier :()

TheGreatWinston

HSC
Just a little note everyone....

I know this guy quite well, and I can truthfully say that he way overstating his case! In reality, he poses quite a problem to my ranks in most subjects. But either way, the motivation is always needed for all of us... thanx all! (except maybe the 1st replier :()
don't give ur friend away!!

Spiritual Bean

The only
HSC
neck up, I started in February of this year, let alone having a 6 week holiday to study. If you honestly need encouragement from a bunch of people on the internet who couldn't care less about you, you should reassess your motivations. 20 minutes into your hsc and its "already too late" lmfao get real
This.

100%

I get that we sometimes need direction, but what this guy said, stands.

ATAR Achiever

HSC
Wow, didn't expect so much!!....I can't say much but just want to thank you for the post and say that I will certainly work through what you have said!!.....Thanks!

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Haha don't worry, I feel as though I'm in the same boat as you (massive truckload of unfinishable work) but I think a good way to start is break all your tasks down into smaller milestones, so when you do them, you can feel a bit of satisfaction and glee for completing them. Try and find a really good organisation system that can make sure you efficiently complete all your work. I find time management is a really big problem for me when I want to do some work.

In terms of motivation, have an extremely specific goal you want to work towards. ATAR 90+ is too general and vague. Look for a uni course you really want (assuming you want to go to uni) and work towards that instead. Narrowing your goals can significantly improve motivation. Other goals can include state ranking subjects, getting nominated for showcases (i.e. ArtExpress or Encore, etc.), etc.

And you have 6 weeks to do your work. Take it one day at a time and be careful you don't overwhelm yourself. The HSC is a marathon (as many of my teachers say) and you want to reach your peak around HSC/trials. Just remember, it's never too late to start putting in the hard yards and working towards that ATAR goal :)

Best of luck!

DanS

Born to do better.
HSC
This.

100%

I get that we sometimes need direction, but what this guy said, stands.
I know this contradicts what I said earlier but I truly had a good laugh when I saw the second post...:) no hard feelings Mr Achiever!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)