Help for CAFS students. (2 Viewers)

ShadowLighte

HSC
Hey Kat92, thank you for giving up your time and effort to help those who need help with CAFS even after you've finished the course. I'm doing CAFS now in Year 11 and so far it's been quite enjoyable and actually kind of easy and I've done well for all of my tests and assessments but I have that's due this Thursday and I need a little bit of help with it. The area of study is Families and Communities and there are two parts to it.
Part A: 1. Prepare a brief overview of your selected local community including
-the names of the suburbs
-the nature of the people eg. ethnic groups, political figures, employment levels
-types of housing- public, private, townhouses
[I assume I can find all this on the ABS website]
2. Select a community organisation that supports families in performing their functions (in any way) in your chosen community. Prepare a detailed report about this organisation addressing the following:
-identify the needs of the group using the organisation
-examine the methods the organisation uses to inform the community of its function
-describe how families access the organisation
-examine the role of the organisation- ie. what services do they provide and how do they assist the family?
-what are the benefits for the family of using this organisation?
-how is the organisation funded?
NOTE: DO NOT merely present a rehash of the organisation's brochure or website. You MUST ANALYSE the information you gather and determine its relevance in addressing the points above
Part B: Oral Presentation
1. Prepare a 4 minute oral report- This should focus on the key issues of your research (Part A 2) in a summarised form. You should be able to communicate your findings to the class in a coherent, logical manner with the use of appropriate language. Additional materials may be used where relevant eg. PowerPoint, summary sheet etc.

You report must be clearly presented and typed. Pictures may be used throughout the report. The report should be in your own words and not directly copied from a text or website. Using the headings stated above to identify the section you are addressing. Within the report, all areas should be clearly addressed and thoroughly answered.

I'm having trouble picking a community organisation, could you refer one to me? People are already doing childcare centres and leisure centres. I'm also terrified of the oral presentation. I'm planning to use a PowerPoint presentation as I did use it before but in a different class with only the teacher as audience and it was a really nice teacher so I really don't know about this. I have social anxiety so even just thinking about it is making me freak out and panic. Would you be able to suggest anything to help? If you don't, thank you for your time anyways :)

Kat92

HSC
Hey Kat92, thank you for giving up your time and effort to help those who need help with CAFS even after you've finished the course. I'm doing CAFS now in Year 11 and so far it's been quite enjoyable and actually kind of easy and I've done well for all of my tests and assessments but I have that's due this Thursday and I need a little bit of help with it. The area of study is Families and Communities and there are two parts to it.
-the nature of the people eg. ethnic groups, political figures, employment levels
2. Select a community organisation that supports families in performing their functions (in any way) in your chosen community. Prepare a detailed report about this organisation addressing the following:
-examine the methods the organisation uses to inform the community of its function
-examine the role of the organisation- ie. what services do they provide and how do they assist the family?
NOTE: DO NOT merely present a rehash of the organisation's brochure or website. You MUST ANALYSE the information you gather and determine its relevance in addressing the points above
1. Prepare a 4 minute oral report- This should focus on the key issues of your research (Part A 2) in a summarised form. You should be able to communicate your findings to the class in a coherent, logical manner with the use of appropriate language. Additional materials may be used where relevant eg. PowerPoint, summary sheet etc.

You report must be clearly presented and typed. Pictures may be used throughout the report. The report should be in your own words and not directly copied from a text or website. Using the headings stated above to identify the section you are addressing. Within the report, all areas should be clearly addressed and thoroughly answered.

I'm having trouble picking a community organisation, could you refer one to me? People are already doing childcare centres and leisure centres. I'm also terrified of the oral presentation. I'm planning to use a PowerPoint presentation as I did use it before but in a different class with only the teacher as audience and it was a really nice teacher so I really don't know about this. I have social anxiety so even just thinking about it is making me freak out and panic. Would you be able to suggest anything to help? If you don't, thank you for your time anyways :)
Thankyou, I am glad to be able to help and make a difference! :)

I love the fact that you are being unique- Is there some sort of local facility in your area that you could research?? This is what I ended up doing as I had a similar task. Maybe consider something like Meals on Wheels, Nursing homes, Churches, Volunteer centres etc. The syllabus documentation should also list a few dotpoints from memory of different types.

Powerpoint would be the way to go- i.e. have a heading, dotpoints, picture and graphs from ABS. Although, nowadays people are moving towards prezi presentations (but this really depends on your technological ability). However, due to the timeframe stick with the powerpoint and print the summary slides.

As for the social anxiety that is always something that is hard to overcome! Although a few suggestions:

Managing Nerves

1. Prepare

Know Your Audience
Think about your audience before your presentation. The more confident you are that you are presenting them with useful and interesting material for them, the less nervous you will be. You really don't want your presentation to be a surprise. If it is, you lose complete control over the audience's reaction and that is a large factor in nervousness. So:

• Define who your target audience is;
• Ask people who will be representative of the audience what they expect from the presentation;
• Run your presentation plan by a few people to see if they think something is missing or is overkill;
• Consider contacting participants by email beforehand and asking them a few questions about what they expect;
• Greet audience members at the door and do a quick survey of why they are there and what they expect.

Know Your Material
Nothing is worse for nerves than trying to give a presentation on a topic you are not well prepared for. This doesn't mean you have to be an expert beforehand, but you'd better know it backwards on presentation day.
Another important point to remember is that you can't possibly cover everything you know in the time available. So focus on the most pertinent points and then supplement with other material if time allows.

Engage your audience:
To make your material interesting and memorable, include occasional questions to the audience to encourage audience participation. This enhances the learning experience and gives you a break from presenting. It also allows you deliver your information in a more conversational manner which is often more believable.

Structure Your Presentation
A common technique for trying to calm nervousness is memorizing what you intend to say. But all this does is make you sound like a robot. If you miss a word or draw a blank, your whole presentation is thrown off and then your nervousness compounds itself. It is far better to structure your presentation so that you give yourself clues to what is coming next.
• Have a set of key phrases listed on a cue card;
• Refer to these phrases to trigger your mind as to what is coming up next;
• If you are using slides, use these key phrases in your transitions.
• This approach helps you control your own uncertainty about whether you will remember what you want to say and the order you want to say it.

Tip:
A simple, widely used, and highly effective structure is to tell the audience what you're going to say, then say it, and then recap what you've said.

2. Practise, Practise, Practise

Although you should avoid memorizing your presentation, you do want to be very comfortable with your delivery. Familiarity brings confidence, and practice helps you to deliver the words naturally. This means they will be coming more from your heart and mind, rather than from a piece of paper.
• Learn the organization and order of your presentation;
• If you do feel the need to memorize, limit it to your opening. This will help you
get off to a smooth start;
• Try videotaping yourself. You will see what you look like to others and then you
can make a plan to change the things that need changing;
• Use audiotape to listen to how you speak, your tone and your speed, and adjust appropriately;
• Prepare for large speaking events by practising with a smaller audience first; for example, by inviting colleagues to listen to a dry run during their lunch hour. –
• Resolve pronunciation issues (multisyllabic words, phonemes you have trouble with)
• Decide what you are going to wear - make it comfortable and appropriate;
• Arrive early and get your equipment set up;
• Anticipate problems and have backups and contingencies in place in case something doesn't work, you forget something, etc;
• If possible, give everything one last run through in the real environment;
• Prepare responses to anticipated questions. Try to think like that one person in the front row who always tries to trip the presenter up.

3. Calm Yourself from the Inside
Nervousness causes physiological reactions which are mostly attributed to the increase of adrenaline in your system. You can counteract these effects with a few simple techniques:
Practise deep breathing - adrenalin causes you to breath shallowly. By breathing deeply your brain will get the oxygen it needs and the slower pace will trick your body into believing you are calmer. It also helps with voice quivers, which can occur when your breathing is irregular;
Drink water - adrenalin can cause a dry mouth, which in turn leads to getting tongue-tied. Have a glass of water handy. Take sips occasionally, especially when you want to emphasize a point;
Smile - this is a natural relaxant that sends positive chemicals through your body;

Use visualization techniques - imagine that you are delivering your presentation to an audience that is interested, enthused, smiling, and reacting positively. Cement this positive image in your mind and recall it right before you are ready to go on;
Press and massage your forehead to energise the front of the brain and speech centre;

Just before you start talking, pause, make eye contact, and smile. This last moment of peace is very relaxing and gives you time to adjust to being the centre of attention;
Speak more slowly than you would in a conversation, and leave longer pauses between sentences. This slower pace will calm you down, and it will also make you easier to hear, especially at the back of a large room; (when you are nervous you speak more quickly than you think, so aim to speak more slowly than usual – esp. if you have pronunciation issues)

Move around during your presentation. This will expend some of your nervous energy;

Stop Thinking About Yourself. The audience is there to get some information and it is your job to put it across to them. It’s not all about you!

Good Luck for it all! I will be thinking of you! :)

Kat92

HSC

Hey ShadowLighte, I hope everything worked out well in the end! :)

mamie johnson

HSC
am seeking for help in Cafs
cuz i got an reach search task and i dont no what to do
i need help with same questionnaire for the place i chose to reach about
so could you please help me.

Kat92

HSC
Ok, I guess the first question is what is the topic: groups in context, multiple role expectations, etc. Without that information I can't really direct you to any place as to where you would find research material.

Otherwise, if are you referring to the IRP- you could have a look underneath resources on this site to see some past examples.

ShadowLighte

HSC
Hi Kat92, sorry for not replying any sooner but thank you so much for your response and words of advice. Yep, things went well- a lot more than I'd originally planned and ended up second in the class with the mark of 27/30 :)

Kat92

HSC
Congrats! Anything is possible if you set your mind to it and rewards will be reaped. :)

emily96

HSC
Hi, I dunno if you can help.. But any way can give me tips for the irp?? I want my topic to be either 'does depression affect a young persons wellbeing?' Or 'are young people growing up to fast in today's society?' Any help..?

Kat92

HSC
The best thing is to see what literature is already out there, consider how to link to the CAFs dotpoints and how you would implement various methodological practices.

Have a look at some of the guides on this website.

Personally, I would find the first one to be a better topic and the second would be more inclined towards a subject like Society and Culture.

If you still have further questions after reading the guides let us know.

jjay

HSC
Help pleaseeee! I need to start my IRP but I still dont have a research question :(
And I need to get the question checked by my teacher, which one do you think is better:

-How does cyberbullying affect the emotional and social wellbeing of youth and what support services are available?
-To what extent does the family environment affect an individual's mental illness and how effective are support services in dealing with cyberbullying for the youth?

Kat92

HSC
These are an excellent start. However, a hypothesis or research statement should be more focussed i.e. rather than saying emotional and social wellbeing it is better to select one over the other.

As for the second one, I feel, you are trying to do too much as there are different topics contained within the one research question: I.e. family units, mental illness and cyberbullying.

Have a look at my step by step guide to see ways of structuring/formulating a research question or hypothesis. :)

Brittney-Lee

HSC
N/A
Hey there :),
I'm doing CAFS at the moment, just started Year 12 and was wondering if you had any summary pages to help me to do the HSC next year and to do well... PLEASE AND THANKYOU :)

Moey-187

HSC
can someone send me their survey questions as i have no idea what to put in in my surveys.
thanks in advance.

DaeTokki

HSC
N/A
Hello! I'm starting my CAFs IRP at the moment and my Area of Study is "Do We Need God?" and no matter how much I think, it's so hard to come up with a good, strong hypothesis... please help me! :(
My Project Plan is due in a few days... T_T

Kat92

HSC
Hi DaeTokki,

Hmm this is an interesting one! Personally, even I am stuck trying to find something to link it to. All I can think of is perhaps you could make some connection with the concept of self-actualisation with respect to self-esteem and self-confidence?

I.e. A connection to God can help an Individuals' progress towards self-actualisation. (Obviously you would have to think about the wording but it provides some food for thought ;) )

Good Luck with it, I hope that I have somewhat helped! :)

Kat92

HSC
Hey there :),
I'm doing CAFS at the moment, just started Year 12 and was wondering if you had any summary pages to help me to do the HSC next year and to do well... PLEASE AND THANKYOU :)
Hi Brittney-Lee & Laura-jayne14,

There are some sample summary pages underneath the resources section on this site and practice questions that past CAFS students have uploaded! :)

Last edited:

Kat92

HSC
can someone send me their survey questions as i have no idea what to put in in my surveys.
thanks in advance.
You will want to make sure that you have a mixture of questions that are open ended, closed and use likert scales.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)