Help for struggling RFTG students 2007 (1 Viewer)

louweesel

HSC
I'd like to offer my assistance to any students studying retreat from the global in the texts and ways of thinking module. If you have any questions contact me at louweesel87@hotmail.com.
hope 2 hear from you
- Lou

shimmy&shine

HSC
you must have really enjoyed it. I loved it too. It was th best course.

ALthough please share your HSC mark before helping other students. good luck with that. :)

subjectiv

HSC
N/A
I have an assessment task next week which I don't really know how to prepare for. The question is pretty vague.

"Your understanding of RFTG with analysis of an unseen related text".

I'm not enjoying RFTG atm, but I think that's because I don't understand it completely. Anyway, anyone know how i should prepare for this task? please help :).

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
I'd have to say that wasn't very nice shimmy, i expected more from a nice sweet girl like you :confused:

Song hye gyo, weren't you modernism girl :eek: ? I would have thought pomo would have been the most logical follow-through, but hey good luck! RTFG is like anti-globalisation right? Which is anti-pomo :p

Sorry i wish i could be more help =/

p.s. actually maybe you could try developing a library of different related texts (fiction and non-fiction) for rftg? that's what our teachers advised us for ee1, and most people collected two different texts (with analysis) each week and did quite well!

subjectiv

HSC
N/A
bobness said:
I'd have to say that wasn't very nice shimmy, i expected more from a nice sweet girl like you :confused:

Song hye gyo, weren't you modernism girl :eek: ? I would have thought pomo would have been the most logical follow-through, but hey good luck! RTFG is like anti-globalisation right? Which is anti-pomo :p

Sorry i wish i could be more help =/

p.s. actually maybe you could try developing a library of different related texts (fiction and non-fiction) for rftg? that's what our teachers advised us for ee1, and most people collected two different texts (with analysis) each week and did quite well!
Yeah, I'm so depressed. :cold: I really wanted to do pomo!! It would've helped me out with history ext too. Oh well.

Anyway, if i've learnt anything these past few weeks, it's that RFTG is not black-and-white anti-global. It celebrates the local but acknowledges the negative aspects of it as well, especially in Heaney's poetry (which is what we started with). RFTG also embraces the technology, services, etc, that the global brings but it rejects homogenising cultures, capitalism, etc. Actually i don't know about the latter. hahaha, i wish david eldridge was my teacher.

shimmy&shine

HSC
bobness said:
I'd have to say that wasn't very nice shimmy, i expected more from a nice sweet girl like you
glitterfairy said:
^ why do we have to share our hsc mark before offering to help others?
woops! sorry i f i hurt anyone's feelings, my intentions weren't too be negative but i was just curious, and I'm sure that others are too, what her marks were (or will be). I'm sure you'll be a great help too anyone that asks! really.

Sorry Louweese! If you are :vcross: or :( with me, or to anyone else, I'll give you permission to :hammer: on my head for an hour, lol.

[I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to do all these emotion smiley face thingys!! It better we worth it! I especially love this one :wave: . I wanted to include it in the apology sentence but it didn't really ft the context, so yeah..]

love shimmy

xoxo

shimmy&shine

HSC
subjectiv said:
Yeah, I'm so depressed. I really wanted to do pomo!! It would've helped me out with history ext too. Oh well.

Anyway, if i've learnt anything these past few weeks, it's that RFTG is not black-and-white anti-global. It celebrates the local but acknowledges the negative aspects of it as well, especially in Heaney's poetry (which is what we started with). RFTG also embraces the technology, services, etc, that the global brings but it rejects homogenising cultures, capitalism, etc. Actually i don't know about the latter. hahaha, i wish david eldridge was my teacher.
hey, when i started rftg, that's how i thought about it as well. I was like, one whole year of this!!!?? But i guess you learn to appreciate it, because it does kindle a lot of aspects of the state of the world today. Tis very interesting!

Yeah, and it's good that it isn't anti-global. My teacher was like, you can't just say that, even Proulx goes out of her way to portray the negative aspects of the local community, like the ancestral ways of rape and incest. Also with Heaney, it's ironic how he must embrace the power of the global world to voice his concerns and reclaim his cultural heritage.

It's also intersting how the course Retreat from the Global, is not just about global-local dimensions, but it also requires the student to have a sound knowledge on Postmodernism (pomo theories are a must), globalisation, westernisation, the nature of post-colonial texts, and then consider the economic, philosophical, religious and scientific paradigms.

Anyway, I'm just yabbering on here, but that's just my thoughts, which I can now, if i wish, dispose of! YAY!!!!

subjectiv

HSC
N/A
shimmy&shine said:
hey, when i started rftg, that's how i thought about it as well. I was like, one whole year of this!!!??

That's what i thought!! Funny thing was, I didn't even know we were going to do it for the whole year, until last week. I thought we had to do electives from module A, B, and C. Hahahaha :headbang:

You mentioned it was ironic how heaney used the global to promote the local. Is that what he does in "Digging"? With the pen? :confused: I kinda get how the economic and scientific paradigms in that poem relate to RFTG, but i can't seem to find anything philosophical or religious.

HSC
N/A
Digging is a pretty good example of how Heaney uses the global to promote the local. The important thing to remember is that times have changed - Heaney isn't really in a position to be able to continue family tradition by becoming a turf-cutter (ok, so he could if he REALLY wanted to...) but he can spread the values by writing about it ("pen/"I'll dig with it"), which for this purpose is a much more effective method of 'continuing 'local' values than if he took up a career as a turf-cutter.

Writing of course, is a distinctly non-irish thing. Historically, there isn't even a written gaelic language - they survived purely on oral history alone, etc etc.

In terms of 'philosophy', maybe it's worth thinking about the fact that a) instead of writing some form of dashing poetry, he's literally digging up old stories and old values that are currently dying out. To top this off, his poems are very very well known - didn't he recieve the nobel prize, or the literary equivalent of the nobel prize? Can't remember exactly. So yes it's true, he is using a "global" method of communication to reach a "global" audience, but in my opinion he does a lot to establish a kind of 'link' between the past and present, re-inventing the local to become part of the new global world (through his poetry).

shimmy&shine said:
woops! sorry i f i hurt anyone's feelings, my intentions weren't too be negative but i was just curious, and I'm sure that others are too, what her marks were (or will be). I'm sure you'll be a great help too anyone that asks! really.
:)

My only issue with this sort of thing is this: I've observed since my HSC year that subsequent generations of HSC-ers are becoming more and more marks-based. It's getting so bad that within a few years, I'm expecting people to "judge" the value/relevance of the advice I dole out purely based on a number I earnt years ago (and since I didn't get full marks for both EE1 and EE2, under this system I'm the type of person "people shouldn't listen to") that measured how well I responded to essay questions at a particular time and under particular conditions. What people forget is that sometimes you actually know more about something AFTER you've been examined on it. After you've had time to reflect, get some additional education (read: uni! lol, and tutoring experience), you can actually be in a better position to help others.

A mark says nothing about how well I can communicate ideas through discussion, nor other qualities such as being able to help people understand particular concepts. When you think about it, much of what goes on in forums is decidedly peer-tutor based. We're not grilling each other on grammar or how well we're answering questions - we're just pooling our knowledge and trying to help each other. No matter what kind of marks you get, there's no reason to assume you can can't help someone (even in a small way) just because you're not an 'expert' that got full marks or something.

On a side note, I know many people who DO get full marks in particular subjects. Their notes may be extensively detailed, but in terms of being able to pick up where you're having difficulties AND being able to help you overcome those, it's a totally different story. I know tutors who have "qualifications" galore, but can't teach for crap because their communications skills suck muchly. I don't care how well they did in their examinations, I want to know how well they can help me. How often can I get in contact with them? Will they be happy to take on my multitude of stupid questions? What kind of exercises do they give to help things like cutting down on waffling/resorting to Thesaurus-ism in essays, and do they spoon-feed or hold more discussion-type sessions to constantly test the strength and depth of the student's knowledge? Learning something and teaching it are two completely different skills - remember this!!!!!!

Of course, some people will be better than others in terms of 'tutoring'. Most tutors I know offer an initial tutoring session at significantly reduced rates, with a no-commitment policy. 'try before you buy', so to speak. In the OP's case, it looks like she's offering her advice for free. Why not try it? If you don't think she's worth it, then all you have to do is never email her again :p

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
shimmy&shine said:
Sorry Louweese! If you are :vcross: or :( with me, or to anyone else, I'll give you permission to :hammer: on my head for an hour, lol.

[I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to do all these emotion smiley face thingys!! It better we worth it! I especially love this one :wave: . I wanted to include it in the apology sentence but it didn't really ft the context, so yeah..]

love shimmy

xoxo
BAHAHAHAHA that was hilarious maybe i should sig it <3

Do i have permission to :hammer: (knock you up) for an hour? LOL DON'T MIND THE SEXUAL CONNOTATIONS THIS IS MY WAY OF JOKING AROUND SERIOUS BUSINESS ETC ETC. :eek: If anyone takes it the wrong way i'll also be :vcross: or :(. Btw hi shimmy :wave: i love this one too

edit Done and done. Listening to glitterfairy gets me lollies yay! I'm only like this cause i went back to school today and said goodbye to all my teachers :(

RFTG is the least popular of the module b electives in ee1. True story, it means your candidature is yooneek.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Try to keep things on topic though, ok?

If you 'just want to clarify something for one person' and it has no value to anyone else on the forum, try pming it next time. :)

kcchippy

HSC
zangetsu.xo said:
i dont know anything about RFTG but if anyone happens to want to help me with individual and society any help would be greatly appreciated!!
sorry have no idea what the individual and society module is about, although I'm sure if you posted a specific question in one of the individual and society threads, someone would be of help

Dave2007

HSC
I'm really enjoying RFTG, because theres material you actually have to come to grips with and form an opinion on, unlike journeys which invites itself to you just being a cynical arsehole about everything.

I don't know if the offer of help from people is still out there (I read the post, it says it was made last year? oh well...) but any help at all would be nice....I'm doing the island, shipping news and the castle. Ideas for supp texts, good pieces of creative writing to look at, essays, presentations, notes or encouraging advice/discussion points would all be appreciated.

lil_miss

HSC
so here's my two cents worth haha

as others have said, rftg isn't one sided; anti-global -there is a need to understand why there are people who remain within the 'global' and why others return to it, and why others stray toward it.

it's not just black and white and your work should show that both sides have benefits, you should question but answer -why possibly, the composer has chosen to portray the local more favourably, or at least acknowledge its their way of thinking..

i mean it's not really black and white in the "real" world, is it?

I never really warmed up to rtfg so I'm a little sketchy, but I think what is important is that you make the marker be aware that you realise it's not as simple as retreat=good, embrace global=bad.

kcchippy

HSC
Yes of course, one of the basic tenets is the RFTG requires you to at least acknowledge the inadequacy of the global-local dichotomy and the subsequent symbolic associations of good-bad (or vice versa). Island and Heaney are fantastic main texts to demonstrate the complexity of 21st century life and Island particularly as it gives a broad spectrum in terms of personas and the way they have responded to the changing reality. Of course, in terms of the syllabus the way it is worded, in my humble opinion, seems to still uphold the global-local dichotomy such that the global is not just symbolised but actually temporally located and I would argue that is not. Basically, RFTG had a lot to do with how you defined the local and the global, and then from then onwards how did the personas deal with the changing reality in terms of technological developments, changes to the structure of society (agrarian vs information age) etc. In terms of additional material, foreign films are gold especially ones set in asia where there are complex depictions of the simultaneously and harmonious existence of both the "old" world of agrarian society and the "new" world of techno-info phenomenon. China and India in particular. I used the movie "samsara" (2002) and I found it was awesome on so many levels.

Furthermore, another tenet that seems to come up a lot (especially in the marker's comments for past years) is the use of post modernist and post colonial readings. Well I went for the latter mostly, although I did exam some "post modernist" elements in the post colonial novels and short stories I read (I found Indigenous Australian short stories were gold in terms of transcending the barriers of time and space, that is living in a global realm but maintaining a sense of local identity - because really retreat from the global is trying to find out who we are in the wake of a changing reality). Post colonial text that I used was Nadine Gordimer's July's People (apartheid south africa) awesome text, complex and USYD has a fantastic collection of criticisms which you can use to boost the academic level of your critique (yes, I frequented sydney and macquarie uni libraries in years 11 and 12, if you can find uni level critiques they help phenomenally in trying to understand the concept of "readings"). So basically, this text reinforced initially the global-local dichotomy (the "global" interlopers being the Afrikaners and the "local" being the native africans). There is just too much in it to discuss really.. I did a one hour seminar on it for my class and still had so much more to say, so needless to say it's a fabulous text especially alongside Heaney which also has a colonial history.

I found that RFTG is as difficult as you make it for yourself. Even though there are these larger concepts of globalisation etc, that isn't the essence of the module,. the module I found (if you look at the set texts) is about personas trying to find their identity in the changing reality of the 20th and 21st century, so you discuss the barriers of time and space eroding, you discuss how globalisation affects individuals and societies, you discuss technology, basically just the very first thing to do is break about the syllabus. Just take out every word and every phrase and define it in your own words and on your own terms. If you can do this, then basically you have exactly what you should be looking to talk about in your essay, no matter what the topic is or what the question is.

In terms of the creative component, well the sky's the limit, but again they could ask you to refer to your texts, so don't fall into the trap of just modifying your critical for the creative component, or like the 2005 HSC (the one I did) it could be purely creative (joy!). Creative component still needs to meet the requirements of the syllabus, so perhaps you would like to choose a character from Macleod's Island and write a speech that he/she is giving about how their life has changed since the turn of the century and how they're adapting to it, or perhaps a presentation at the town counsel on how they should ban outsiders from coming in and why (in doing so, illuminating the various points of the syllabus).

I just think there is so much you can do with RFTG without really doing a lot of background theory study in terms of understanding what it's saying, because it's a module that is about your everyday life and your everyday struggle for identity. For example, a migrant can relate to have the local identity and customs of his/her past that is celebrated in the microcosm of his/her family (much like The Castle where they have their own culture in their home) but when outside this microcosm could meld and play the game of life to the rules of the wider world (Skrzynecki anyone?) so that there is this dual identity, but really his/her identity is an amalgamation of these influences.

Anyways, I hope that helps to illuminate the thought *process* of how to approach RFTG. It's not exactly systematically written, so I apologise if it doesn't flow logically.

kcchippy

HSC
Dave2007 said:
I'm really enjoying RFTG, because theres material you actually have to come to grips with and form an opinion on, unlike journeys which invites itself to you just being a cynical arsehole about everything.

I don't know if the offer of help from people is still out there (I read the post, it says it was made last year? oh well...) but any help at all would be nice....I'm doing the island, shipping news and the castle. Ideas for supp texts, good pieces of creative writing to look at, essays, presentations, notes or encouraging advice/discussion points would all be appreciated.
Last year being 2 months ago

Dave2007

HSC
:mad1: I see how it is....

Kinda reminds me on like december 30/31st when people say "Oh, see you next year" and you get horribly confused!

Meh, i was just posting here in the hope someone would give some decent tips or such.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)