HELP! International Crimes (1 Viewer)

maryroser

HSC
I'm kind of stuck. i've just realised that i don't think i'm going to have enough to write if the crime essay is on international crime. our teacher really rushed us through it cuz we had taken so long on the topic so we only ended up spending 1 or 2 lessons on it. i like to have 3 main points for an essay. what could they be?

horsefreak

HSC
What do you mean by points for an essay?
Do you have a syllabus ??

uirate

HSC
Depends on the question really, but generally on effectiveness you talk about effectiveness of legal/non-legal measures (domestic and international) dealing with international crime (transnational + crimes against international community)

horsefreak

HSC
Your three points could be, international crimes against humanity, war crimes and transnational crimes.
For each one, know what it is, what the subgroups for each is i.e.
International crimes against humanity you have piracy etc

Then conclude with the effectiveness/non-effectiveness of the legal and non legal measures.

Claire_xox

Premium Member
HSC
There are two main categories of International Crime:
1) Crimes against the international community- those that are so serious that they are widely condemned by the majority of states e.g. war crimes, genocide case= Hitler
2) Transnational Crimes- crimes that involve the crossing of state borders either in origin or effect e.g. Human/drug trafficking

You should learn legal and non-legal responses specific to each category e.g. for those against the international community the most major response has been the Rome statute- developed the ICC, you can refer to the Tokyo trials after WW2. On the other hand for Transnational Crimes responses include INTERPOL, border security, extradition treaties etc.
Don't forget to link each to effectiveness- often with International Crime effectiveness is limited by the lack of cooperation between states

EDIT: also the syllabus differentiates between international responses and domestic e.g. the creation of the Rome Statute and ICC was an international response while the ratification of the International Criminal court Act was a domestic response- aimed at outlawing those crimes contained in the Rome statute

Last edited:

maryroser

HSC
thanks heaps. hopefully i'll be able to bullshit it a bit. pretty screwed for legal, with ext on the same day. hopefully my rank will save me. do you reckon they're going to be specific in the option essays? they've always been pretty general in my opinion

rayy_bann

HSC
Omg firstly I hope they do young offenders. Secondly I hope there aren't going to be specific options. In which case it's still alright as there are two questions to choose from. But if they're specific I hope they ask for contemporary issues. Gl guys :)

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, if you're running out of time for revision, a lot of the international crime stuff can be used in world order, so take note of that, if you're doing world order :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)