Help me decide on uni course plz (1 Viewer)

Varin9

HSC
i want to do bachelor of commerce at usyd, which is a 3 year course but don't know if i should combine it with a science degree as well extending it to 5 years. my reasoning for this is that:

- i heard commerce is very theoritical with no real life practical, so i though doing a science may help eg major in financial satisctics, computer science etc.

- I want to enjoy the uni experiance and may want to spend more than 3 year ultimately is it enjoyable like high school style environment

-I also dont want to waste my time on a science degree lose out on 2 years of work experiance i could of built up

Also should i consider combining it with a engineering degree if so which one, and what are the advantages and disadvantags

thx in advance

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Moved to university forums.

Varin9

HSC
i also dont know if i would like to do a 5 year couse, because ill be approz 23 when getting a job, when i cud be 21 and already making some money

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What job do you want after university or what career are you looking at? That's the main question you have to answer.

Varin9

HSC
not sure tbh, but proabably work in some company, will the science degree help or wud i be potentially losing out on abt 80k,

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
not sure tbh, but proabably work in some company, will the science degree help or wud i be potentially losing out on abt 80k,
It depends on the company. Unless you're looking at Commerce for a scientific specific company, it's probably not necessarily relevant.

Varin9

HSC
but would majoring in financial maths statistics be of any use, because the atar requirement is the same

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If your job requires financial mathematics or statistics - then yes, it'll help.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
but would majoring in financial maths statistics be of any use, because the atar requirement is the same
It could be of use, depending on the field you went into. We really need more information about what you want to do. Commerce is a huge sector, and 'work for a company' really doesn't narrow it down much at all.

Varin9

HSC
my two major in com will proabably be: OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT AND DECISION SCIENCES MAJOR (UNDERGRADUATE) and MARKETING MAJOR (UNDERGRADUATE), i want to eventually work in the creative side of a business where descion making is involved.
Or maybe in FINANCE MAJOR (UNDERGRADUATE)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
my two major in com will proabably be: OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT AND DECISION SCIENCES MAJOR (UNDERGRADUATE) and MARKETING MAJOR (UNDERGRADUATE), i want to eventually work in the creative side of a business where descion making is involved.
Or maybe in FINANCE MAJOR (UNDERGRADUATE)
Then I don't think a science degree is the best use of your time. If you were contemplating economics or statistical analysis it could be worthwhile.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Kk thanx is there anything else you can recommend me in anyway
If you're keen to do a double you could do something like Arts. It often gets a bad rap (usually from Engineering/Math type people), but it's actual got some fairly interesting majors.

Otherwise, there's honours and masters on top of the Bachelor degree. Or just go straight out into the workforce. Internships are worth looking into as well.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Commerce/Engineering could be good for perhaps... if one wants to get into a management position in engineering?

Commerce is a very wide subject - and encompasses things like management, economics, finance and the like.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
alternatively you could consider these two degrees that is offered by USYD, B Agriculture Economics and B Resource Economics. Both of the degrees is applied commerce/economics i.e. you learn the theoretical part and then go on field trips/mini practicals and apply your knowledge. You get one major in Agr eco or Res Eco depending on the degree chosen and upto two other majors in commerce/arts field. I know Agr Eco offers second majors such as marketing, accounting, psychology etc Res eco offers biology/chemistry/finance etc. So both these degrees offer great variety.

Now the cut off may put you off because its simly 85-90 compared to a commerce cut off 96 but after being informed about the degree, I think its probably a better degree than a straight out commerce. My school careers advisor gave me lots of info on those two degrees and maybe you should ask the uni more info on it to see what you think.

I know someone on BoS who is curretly studying B resource economics but forgot his name :( he might be a better person to tell you about it.

Reasons to choose this degree over a straight commerce degree
*opportunity to apply theory into pratical experiences
*4 year degree
*honours integrated part of the degree. Your final result will basically determine whether you graduate with honours or not, instead of having to do an extra year for honours
*lots of variability e.g. majors from arts/business/science faculty
*small faculty so i am guessing smaller classes.

I would have taken up my Faculty merit scholarship for it if I wasnt offered a Law degree from UNSW.

Just a suggestion but otherwise maybe consider doing Commerce Liberal Studies? You get to study subjects from outside business faculty and its 4 years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)