Help needed with Skills! (1 Viewer)

sipahi

HSC
Hi everyone, I require guidance with the skills sections of the physics course..If people have any material, notes practice papers for me to improve my skills, it would help very much.
Thankyou in Advance :):)

iBibah

HSC
Hi everyone, I require guidance with the skills sections of the physics course..If people have any material, notes practice papers for me to improve my skills, it would help very much.
Thankyou in Advance :):)
What are the things in particular you need help with?

sipahi

HSC
mainly to do with graphing...i struggle with graphing and line of best fit..lol..I have no idea why :(

iBibah

HSC
mainly to do with graphing...i struggle with graphing and line of best fit..lol..I have no idea why :(
You mean you don't know how to graph and find the line of best fit?

sipahi

HSC
well.....err...Wheres my teacher when i need him to comment on this type of question T_T..
So basically i'm confused about how to draw line of best fit..because I have heard conflicting things..I just want to learn the correct thing..I konw how to graph..but I get confused when the question asks you to draw a graph which prodces a straight line from a given set of information T_T.. and little tricks like that..so I want peoples experiences to help me with skills and types of questions that could be asked. :)
Thanks for the replies btw :) repped

iBibah

HSC
well.....err...Wheres my teacher when i need him to comment on this type of question T_T..
So basically i'm confused about how to draw line of best fit..because I have heard conflicting things..I just want to learn the correct thing..I konw how to graph..but I get confused when the question asks you to draw a graph which prodces a straight line from a given set of information T_T.. and little tricks like that..so I want peoples experiences to help me with skills and types of questions that could be asked. :)
Some information you get from an experiment is not 100% accurate (for obvious reasons) but theoretically should produce consistent results. Because data can vary from what it's 'supposed' to be, we draw a line of best fit to essentially 'summarise' our data, and produce patterns that are more 'theoretically correct'. When you are asked to draw a graph which produces a straight line, you just plot all the data and then draw the line of best fit.

A tip for drawing a line of best fit:
- Draw a line that is as close to all the points as possible - least deviation form the points. But when you draw it, try to make it pass through at least two of the points exactly, as it will make it easy to determine the gradient (as most questions make you do) a little more accurately.

sipahi

HSC
Thankyou for your help.. :)..With the drawing of straight line from a given set of information, was not as simple as just using the values listen because some of the information was in the form of squares eg. v^2 or r^2, hence they would naturally produce a curve as others were kept constant....Sorry my english is bad if you couldnt understand my context :(

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Your teacher was tutoring :p

But, yeah.. listen to Habibi, he knows what he is on about :)

Just think about the equation that the result(s) are relating to. For example, if you are doing gravitational force, you know that F = Gm1m2/d^2, therefore if you think about the equation of a straight line (y = mx+b), you can change the equation to F = Gm1m2 x 1/d^2, therefore if you plot F vs 1/d^2 you will get a straight line as they are proportional and Gm1m2 are constant, therefore the gradient of your straight line will be Gm1m2

iBibah

HSC
Thankyou for your help.. :)..With the drawing of straight line from a given set of information, was not as simple as just using the values listen because some of the information was in the form of squares eg. v^2 or r^2, hence they would naturally produce a curve as others were kept constant....Sorry my english is bad if you couldnt understand my context :(
The line of best fit can be curved. It's rare, but it can still occur. Same concept as a straight line, draw a line as close as you can to all the points, which should be curved naturally.

sipahi

HSC
Thankyouu...iBibah (?) and Sir..but can i still get resources to help practice this type of stuff please ^_^

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
You have all those trials which I put up for the class, surely there are some skills-based questions in them :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)