Help Regarding University / HSC (1 Viewer)

PodiatryA

HSC
Right.
Well i would love to study a Podiatry couse when i finish year 12 next year at the University of Newcastle. But on the site of the campus where i would like to take my course it states this:
Assumed knowledge: Chemistry and Mathematics. If you have not studied HSC Chemistry or Mathematics you are advised to take bridging courses conducted by the ELFS Centre at the University prior to the start of semester.
The problem is, i havn't chosen Chemistry as one of my subjects, but instead of Chem, i have Senior Science (which does contain a little bit of chemistry, which could be regarded as ASSUMED KNOWLEDGE) Would they let me in still if i havn't studied full out Chemistry. Or would i have to participate in the ELFS Centre.

One final question, with the ELFS centre. How long does it take to get the knowledge and begin doing the Uni course (Would it be a 1 year program?)

Thanks, and if you managed to read my mumbled jargon and give answers to my worrying questions, again Thankyou. :)

Currently in Year 11.

Last edited:

Brontecat

HSC
u would more than likely get in - the chances are they will let u do a bridging course to make up for what you need to know

the only time the above would not work is if it's a year where there are lots of applicants and well above the UAI needed, in this case they would simply cull those who dont have the assumed knowledge just to eliminate ppl.

Source: Maths teacher who is an ex bridging course guy

As for your second question i have no idea

LordPc

HSC
assumed knowledge wont bar you from getting into any course. they dont check up on it, its just assumed that you know it.

ofcourse having said that, not having done the assumed knowledge would put you at a disadvantage because they may start talking about basic concepts in chemistry which may be foreign to you. for example moles or le chateliers principle.

if you can I would seriously consider changing from Senior Science to Chemistry now while you are still in year 11 because if you are bad at chemistry, then you can drop chem and pick up sen science still.

so you can still get in, its just a good idea to have done bridging courses. and bridging courses are usually quite short, couple weeks at most

LynFay

HSC
Assumed knowledge means dipshit. Just so long as your UAI is high enough you're in. :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
But, going into a Science/Mathematics course without any adv. maths behind you or going into a Law/Business course without doing business or legal would be pretty stupid. :)

I doubt anyone would really choose a field so far from their Year 11/12 electives though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)