help required with related text... (1 Viewer)

^Me^

HSC
well, i am using 'A Foreign Wife' by Gillian Bouras and the movie 'Joyluck Club' as related text, but i couldnt find the notes on either of the texts, can anyone help me out in providing me with the notes..?

or are there better related texts to be used in relating to 'Felikz Skyrznecki, Crossing the Red Sea and Leaving home'?

The question i need to answer is.....

To what extent has studying the concept of physical journeys expanded our understanding of yourself, of individuals, and of the world?
In your answer, refer to your prescribed text, ONE text from the stimulus booklet and at least TWO other related text of your own choosing.

i am not quiet sure how to answer the question, got any example answers..?

THANKS!

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
lol

i think we r doing similiar stuffs. (i mean the poems and the essay question)
writing ur notes for ur own related materials, afterall, if u can find heaps notes on ur related materials, it means they r a bit.. over done wif

for understanding of urself, u can talk about going on a journey can lead to a lost of original identities
u can define "world" as the surrounding which the journey is embarked. so maybe u can talk about how it is challenging blah blah

^Me^

HSC
not that i dont wana make my own notes...its that i dont even have the related text in hand, reserved foreign wife for 2 weeks exact, and my fone still havent been alarmed to get it....went library yesterday and they said that the phag dat borrowed the book re borrowed it twice from the time i reserved it -_-"

and havent got around finding 'joyluck club'...so meh....

thx mitsui~^^

Q

Quynh nhu

need help with essay intro.

Heys :)

The question I need to answer is:

Journeys transform the individual and his or her knowledge of the world.
Assess this statement in the light of your understanding of journeys from the texts you have studied.

In your answer make close reference to your set text, one text from the Board of Studies Booklet, Journeys and a text of your own choosing.

For the set text: Peter Skrzynecki
BOS booklet Journeys: wind in the williows
Text of own choosing: movie Ice Age

i need suggestions with the introduction .. thank you for your help ^^

P

pLuvia

Maybe you can find another book or related text, their are plenty out there for you to choose from. Supplementary Text here

I have found some notes on The Joy luck Club for you

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/joyluck/

Quynh nhu said:
Journeys transform the individual and his or her knowledge of the world.
Assess this statement in the light of your understanding of journeys from the texts you have studied.
First you answer the question (agree or disagree), or reinterpret it, then introduce your thesis statement (which you will need to back up with every text). Introduce your texts that you will use to back up your decision

Last edited by a moderator:

nwatts

HSC
Quynh nhu said:
i need suggestions with the introduction .. thank you for your help ^^
Discuss the question you're given and introduce an argument based around it. You don't need to introduce texts. It's a complete waste of time.

Q

Quynh nhu

^Me^,
'A Foreign Wife' by Gillian Bouras.

It is an autobiographical account of her life as a foreign wife in Greece, coming to terms with Greek culture and society.

Preview of the book
Aphrodite-priest's wife, matriarch, illiterate-has lived in her village in the Peloponnese for eighty-six years. Her struggle and hardship have been echoed by national and international upheavals, by war, dictatorship and famine. In writing of her mother-in-law's life, Gillian Bouras recounts her own difficulties as an educated, independent Westerner coming to terms with a woman so culturally different and so domestically powerful.

Movie joyluck club
http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/j/joy_luck.html << im not sure if that’s one your after ??

Q

Quynh nhu

the only thesis i have in my head atm: "such a journey encompassess enduring impacts on the individual and his/her knowledge of the world" ?? i dont think that's even categorized as a thesis >< neeedd help

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
um. wat is a thesis?? =O??

lol

the Q is realli similar to the topic of this thread
u have to think abstractly in terms of linking ur own issues to the question
coz u neva know wat statement the HSC want u to argue about

"Journeys transform the individual and his or her knowledge of the world."
possible suggestions:
1. P.S. in "leaving home" learned about his vulnerability against the authority (ie. the surrounding, ie. the world) in his journey to the interview
2. the toad in "Wing in the willow"'s accumulation of lists plus the reptition of exclamation marks suggested many things to be learn from going on a journey

and blah
(i am typing from my head. so .. if u need more ideas. juz.. pm me.)

^Me^

HSC
pLuvia said:
Maybe you can find another book or related text, their are plenty out there for you to choose from. Supplementary Text here
I have found some notes on The Joy luck Club for you
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/joyluck/
First you answer the question (agree or disagree), or reinterpret it, then introduce your thesis statement (which you will need to back up with every text). Introduce your texts that you will use to back up your decision
Quynh nhu said:
^Me^,
'A Foreign Wife' by Gillian Bouras.
It is an autobiographical account of her life as a foreign wife in Greece, coming to terms with Greek culture and society.
Preview of the book
Aphrodite-priest's wife, matriarch, illiterate-has lived in her village in the Peloponnese for eighty-six years. Her struggle and hardship have been echoed by national and international upheavals, by war, dictatorship and famine. In writing of her mother-in-law's life, Gillian Bouras recounts her own difficulties as an educated, independent Westerner coming to terms with a woman so culturally different and so domestically powerful.
Movie joyluck club
http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/j/joy_luck.html << im not sure if that’s one your after ??
thx^^

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
Riviet said:
Basically, you relate all your texts to this central idea, the thesis.
oh rite. so ur answer against the Q
basically. =="

nwatts

HSC
Quynh nhu said:
can someone please help mee find study notes on animated movie: Miyazaki’s Spirited Away???

http://www.spiritedaway.com.au/# this is the site im browsing now, but it doesnt have that much info.

thanks
Get the DVD. There's a pdf on it that contains some interesting information, as well as a text-based extra called "the themes of spirited away" with some additional info as to the japanese background of various parts of the film.

Or, perhaps, you could watch the film yourself and *gasp* write some of your own notes?

butterflyxx

HSC
hi,

Does anyone know any poems or song lyrics that relate to the play 'Away' by Michael Gow?

Q

Quynh nhu

heys,
can someone help mee with linking these texts:
Set text – Peter Skrzynecki’s poetry
BOS Booklet – The Wind in the Willows
Own choosing – Movie Ice Age

im not sure what the main ideas of the similarities that each has, n how to keep the essay flowing ..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)