Help! (1 Viewer)

Gangels

HSC
Does anyone know of a Bass/Barritone jazz piece i could use for my HSC performance. All the pieces that fit my range i've done or are really gay.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Gangels

HSC
Preferably a bass but i can work with barritone. I could Transpose a piece but i dont have that much time. I need a jazz piece by next friday. If you have any suggestions i will grant you eternal life, Give you endless food.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Hmm.
All or Nothing at All, Early Autumn, Let's Face the Music and Dance, Fly My to the Moon (albeit a little overdone :p ), I Got Plenty o' Nuttin', On the Road to Mandalay, I'm Beginning to See the Light, I'm Sitting on Top of the World, Hello Dolly!, It Might as Well be Spring, Love is a Simple Thing, Just in Time, Old Devil Moon, Slightly out of Tune, More, Charade...
A lot of those you may not know or suit you, but that's pretty much what I can think of off the top of my head.
Hope that I was a little help and if not, sorry!

Gangels

HSC
Thanks, that was a great help. I know some of those songs and i didnt think about them. I've already done a few of those but i'll check out the ones i dont know. Thanks heaps

borny

HSC
N/A
have you listened to any stan getz? he made heaps of great recordings playing bari sax... it will give you an idea as to what can and can't be achieved musically.

Gangels

HSC
borny said:
have you listened to any stan getz? he made heaps of great recordings playing bari sax... it will give you an idea as to what can and can't be achieved musically.
We've done 3 perfomances of his. Hes really good. I might actually look into him a bit more though. Thanks.

HSC
NEED HELP!!!

I'm having trouble with timing as I have not done much ensembles.
The topic for our elective 2 was an 'ensemble', so I tried to play with my class mates, however, they just kept saying: "your half a beat too slow/fast" etc.

So I was wondering, does any1 know how to improve it (besides just practising with backing trak etc). Like, should I listen to drum beating (coz I have a pedal) etc????

Please help :(

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
NEED HELP!!!

The topic for our elective 2 was an 'ensemble', so I tried to play with my class mates, however, they just kept saying: "your half a beat too slow/fast" etc.

So I was wondering, does any1 know how to improve it (besides just practising with backing trak etc). Like, should I listen to drum beating (coz I have a pedal) etc????

Please help
IMO, it really just takes lots and lots of practice. :eek: Perhaps try playing through a whole bunch of pieces that you know, with some sort of backing track or metronome or drum beat? And keep doing this a little bit every day until you get it.

If you don't realise when you're out of time, try asking someone to sit with you (classmate? music teacher?) and listen while you're playing along to the backing/metronome so they can tell you when you start slipping out of time. This way you can gradually train yourself to a) recognise when you're not keeping up with the beat, and b) how to fix it.

I hope that helps; I personally can't think of any other good strategies besides practice, practice, practice - maybe other people will have some better ideas?

What instrument do you play by the way?

EDIT: Oh, just remembered a little exercise we did in our music class so we could practice timing, it might work for you: put on a CD or whatever, and as you listen to it, tap your foot or something (we hit a pen on a desk, lol) in time to the beat. Then turn the volume right down so you can't hear it, and try to keep tapping to the exact same beat. (If you know the song, try to keep humming along even when you can't hear it). Then after a bit, turn the volume back up again and see if you're still in time with what's playing. This is also good because you'll soon learn to realise if you have a tendency to slow down or speed up.

Last edited:
HSC
IMO, it really just takes lots and lots of practice. :eek: Perhaps try playing through a whole bunch of pieces that you know, with some sort of backing track or metronome or drum beat? And keep doing this a little bit every day until you get it.

If you don't realise when you're out of time, try asking someone to sit with you (classmate? music teacher?) and listen while you're playing along to the backing/metronome so they can tell you when you start slipping out of time. This way you can gradually train yourself to a) recognise when you're not keeping up with the beat, and b) how to fix it.

I hope that helps; I personally can't think of any other good strategies besides practice, practice, practice - maybe other people will have some better ideas?

What instrument do you play by the way?

EDIT: Oh, just remembered a little exercise we did in our music class so we could practice timing, it might work for you: put on a CD or whatever, and as you listen to it, tap your foot or something (we hit a pen on a desk, lol) in time to the beat. Then turn the volume right down so you can't hear it, and try to keep tapping to the exact same beat. (If you know the song, try to keep humming along even when you can't hear it). Then after a bit, turn the volume back up again and see if you're still in time with what's playing. This is also good because you'll soon learn to realise if you have a tendency to slow down or speed up.

lol, i really like the little exercise you did in class, might give it a go :D.

yeh... i've been practising with the backing track over and over etc again so i can get the timing right. It's just that when it comes to ensembles, i lose confident so quick (espeicially if someone says your a beat too slow/fast etc)

I'm gonna be even more nervous rehearsing my ensemble (for my trials) as I am doin it with a teacher coz there's hardly any drummers in my school lol

btw, i play guitar/electric guitar

Cerry

HSC
NEED HELP!!!

Please help :(
If it's an ensemble where you're the only one being marked, then it's actually their job to keep in time with you. They're there to make you sound good (ro give you someone to blame when you screw up :p), and they should therefore be following you.
If you're all being marked, then the best thing to do is to find someone in the ensemble who is good at keeping time (a drummer or bass player should theoretically be the best, since they're the rhythm section, but it doesn't always work that way), and listen to them. It's sometimes easier to keep time if you're only listening to one part, instead of a whole bunch of them. This is why metronomes are good, assuming you can actually tell when you're out of time (don't feel bad if you can't - there are bands with recording contracts and drummers who are constantly out of time with the rest of the band).
Missanonymous7's suggestion also sounds like a good idea.

Last edited:
HSC
If it's an ensemble where you're the only one being marked, then it's actually their job to keep in time with you. They're there to make you sound good (ro give you someone to blame when you screw up :p), and they should therefore be following you.
If you're all being marked, then the best thing to do is to find someone in the ensemble who is good at keeping time (a drummer or bass player should theoretically be the best, since they're the rhythm section, but it doesn't always work that way), and listen to them. It's sometimes easier to keep time if you're only listening to one part, instead of a whole bunch of them. This is why metronomes are good, assuming you can actually tell when you're out of time (don't feel bad if you can't - there are bands with recording contracts and drummers who are constantly out of time with the rest of the band).
Missanonymous7's suggestion also sounds like a good idea.

haha, thanks a lot, I think you've just boosted my confident haha. yeh... i should just blame them if they're out of time lol, but the thing is the bassist and drummer that are playing for me are teachers haha :p... mmm al well haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)