Hemming my school skirt..? (1 Viewer)

CecilyMare

HSC
School is a week away and I still haven't hemmed my school skirt, should I hem it myself? I looked up hemming skirts on the net and it said I needed tailor chalk or tailor marking pen or w/e but I don't have any of those; does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I could use to mark my skirt with?

or

Should I take it to some place where they hem things? (I also don't know of any places)

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
Sure you can do it yourself, I did mine last year [too cheap to get someone else to haha]. You don't need the whole marking pen thing- it sounds weird, but a little piece of dried out soap also works [some better than others]. You'll need to work out how long you want it, leave a bit for the hem, mark it out with a ruler, cut, iron that until it sits nicely, pin, and then start sewing. But I probably missed something out >__o

Good luck, especially with all the pleats. They're the worst ==

CecilyMare

HSC
what colour is the skirt
It's dark blue/green with strange ugly color yellow lines

Sure you can do it yourself, I did mine last year [too cheap to get someone else to haha]. You don't need the whole marking pen thing- it sounds weird, but a little piece of dried out soap also works [some better than others]. You'll need to work out how long you want it, leave a bit for the hem, mark it out with a ruler, cut, iron that until it sits nicely, pin, and then start sewing. But I probably missed something out >__o

Good luck, especially with all the pleats. They're the worst ==
wait what? Cut?

Last edited:
HSC
Eyeliner pencil, lol
Just find the closest tailor to you, I'm sure it'll be about ten bucks.

Sarebs

HSC
Cut if it's like wayyyyyy too long. But if you're cutting use an overlocker, and if you don't have one of those do a zig zag stitch right near the bottom to stop fraying.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
Sewing machine doesn't matter, it just makes things quicker. I don't know, I cut mine but it was only about a square and a half off, it depends on how short you're making it. Although, if you're going to cut, try it on and bend over first. Haha. Just to make sure it's not too short xP

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
I'm pretty sure you'd have to cut.
Unless you got like, a second-hand one which is already shortened.
I remember when I first got mine, it was somewhere mid-calf. And that was a size 8. It's stupid, you could practically make two skirts from the length they give you for one. And it costs as much as two skirts do >>. Our school is gay like that sometimes.
I just got my mum to hem mine :D (But being a curry mum with the whole 'modesty' thing, it was still too long so I have to wear it rolled up at the waist once or twice >>).
Do you have any relatives you can bribe into doing it for you?

musing

HSC
You don't need a sewing machine.

Just a needle and thread will do.

HSC
If you've never done it before I'd recommend you get someone to do it for you. This is where mothers/grandmothers come in handy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)