hey guys, what do you think about australia is it an equal nation? (1 Viewer)

IMPORTANT - Is Australia an equal nation? HAVE YOUR SAY

• YES

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • NO

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • UNDECIDED

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

outwide

HSC
:wave: hey....

I wanna know what everyone thinks about australia being an equal nation that means that no matter what your age, religion, beliefs etc. you still have the same oppurtunities as others?

what do you guys think? :confused:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
No, because there are still many social constructs which create barriers to opportunity which need to be flushed out, but not through force like aa or anti discrimination laws, because these just create resentment.

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
In ideology they say it is, but like many things ideology and reality are not the same thing. For example, women are still heavily outnumbered by men in parliament. While the 'glass ceiling' is said to be non-existent anymore with equal rights, etc, it still exists today. So i would say no.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
taco man said:
In ideology they say it is, but like many things ideology and reality are not the same thing. For example, women are still heavily outnumbered by men in parliament. While the 'glass ceiling' is said to be non-existent anymore with equal rights, etc, it still exists today. So i would say no.
yes thats true, u have always have comparison, compare australia to other nations, and would say australia is the most equal of them all?

outwide

HSC
yeah guys i agree with you all which isn't the best i reckon taco man nailed it well done

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
HotShot said:
yes thats true, u have always have comparison, compare australia to other nations, and would say australia is the most equal of them all?
We're not quite there, but even if I was like, a black woman, I'd rather live here than a more 'equal' country like Sweden.

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
[B said:
taco man[/B]]In ideology they say it is, but like many things ideology and reality are not the same thing. For example, women are still heavily outnumbered by men in parliament. While the 'glass ceiling' is said to be non-existent anymore with equal rights, etc, it still exists today. So i would say no.
Women have every right and can do what ever they want. The only thing is, they have to play by the rules. No special treatment because you're a "girl" you want to play with the big boys you have to play hard.

outwide said:
I wanna know what everyone thinks about australia being an equal nation that means that no matter what your age, religion, beliefs etc. you still have the same oppurtunities as others?
Anyone can win. Most won't because they are either too stupid, or they just don't have the balls.

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Women fare better in society than men. They get better education, better jobs, better rights in courts, better healthcare and all the vestigial remnants of a chivalrous society.

outwide

HSC
IMPORTANT - Is Australia an equal nation?

hey i need to know what you guys think about Australia being an equal nation, that is all people under any circumstances (despite factors such as age, religion, gender etc.) have the same oppurtunities.

please vote, cheers

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Phanatical said:
Women fare better in society than men. They get better education, better jobs, better rights in courts, better healthcare and all the vestigial remnants of a chivalrous society.
i dont mind that, as long as they dont whinge i am happy. whingin bitches.

st-clares-pride

HSC
Females are not equal as of yet but they have more equality compared to what it used to be like.

santaslayer

HSC
st-clares-pride said:
Females are not equal as of yet but they have more equality compared to what it used to be like.
Of course females are not equal. They're starting to gain the upperhand in society these days. :p

Anyway, this thread sounds like an assessment task :p

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
ofcourse its not equal, but i would say it is more equal here than anywhere else in the world. Overhere the inequality means that men get less opertunities where as woman float above them[until they hit the glass ceiling, i dont know where we would be without the good "old boys" network]

atleast we have laws that should protect your rights

women complain about how they are dissadvantaged in the workplace... bullshit. Its just that men are more likely to work harder and work longer hours. Men put their career first, with women alot of them have a break mid-career for a baby, which puts them behind in the game[when talking politics and business]

and as for the prospect of a female prime minister, dont make me scoff. We sure as shit arent ready for that, people complain about Howard going to war in Iraq, with a woman in charge it would be a new war every day!

the fact is that for women to suceed in business and politics, they have to be tough motherfuckers who put their career first above EVERYTHING, work brutally long hours, dont want children and on top of that outcompete the competition at all times.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
st-clares-pride said:
Tell me how is an individual female disadvantaged in society. Don't talk about the average wage because that doesn't account varying circumstances such as whether they have children or not (which is their own choice).

X

xeuyrawp

outwide said:

what do you guys think? :confused:
Clearly it's not equal. A child has less rights than an adult.

yy

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Clearly it's not equal. A child has less rights than an adult.
a child also has less responsibility than an adult

K

katie_tully

Phanatical said:
AND! THEY GET TO MURDER BABIES!

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
The single most defining factor in Australia is social class. A lot of different factors go into comprising a person's class, and lower class/working poor people simply don't have as many opportunities as people of a higher class. Until we have a classless system (not bloody likely anytime soon), Australia will not be an equal nation.

K

katie_tully

What about people of higher class who worked their way up from the bottom? It's not completely unattainable if you have drive and determination.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)