Higher Level Integration Marathon & Questions (1 Viewer)

seanieg89

HSC
^ That was good practice!

I need to go out for dinner v soon, so will supply gory details later. In short, the answer can be expressed solely in terms of Apery's constant zeta(3).

1. IBP to essentially reduce the integral to log^2(1+x)/x. (The bulk of the difficulty of the originally posted integral lies in this integral as I see it.)

2. Expand this out to obtain an expression in terms of polylogs of order 2 and 3, but we basically only need to know the value of these polylogs at 1/2 and 1.

3. Special functions funtimes proving some reflection formulae etc to compute these guys.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
^ That was good practice!

I need to go out for dinner v soon, so will supply gory details later. In short, the answer can be expressed solely in terms of Apery's constant zeta(3).

1. IBP to essentially reduce the integral to log^2(1+x)/x. (The bulk of the difficulty of the originally posted integral lies in this integral as I see it.)

2. Expand this out to obtain an expression in terms of polylogs of order 2 and 3, but we basically only need to know the value of these polylogs at 1/2 and 1.

3. Special functions funtimes proving some reflection formulae etc to compute these guys.
I was looking for a polylog-free solution, but I guess this puts the nail on the coffin :(

seanieg89

HSC
I was looking for a polylog-free solution, but I guess this puts the nail on the coffin :(
Eh I wouldn't say that necessarily, I did the integral in a not particularly imaginative way...there could be a clever shortcut.

To me it does seem like computing this integral is roughly the same mathematical "depth" as computing some particular values of the di/trilogarithm though.

Anyway, is there a reason why you were seeking to avoid them?

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Eh I wouldn't say that necessarily, I did the integral in a not particularly imaginative way...there could be a clever shortcut.

To me it does seem like computing this integral is roughly the same mathematical "depth" as computing some particular values of the di/trilogarithm though.

Anyway, is there a reason why you were seeking to avoid them?
because I like a nice balance of low tech and efficient solutions to integrals

seanieg89

HSC
because I like a nice balance of low tech and efficient solutions to integrals
Fair enough, seems a rather subjective matter...to me polylog and polygamma manipulations are okay, but I also have no qualms about using contour integration etc.

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
I think you guys should enrol in Extreme Integration (MATH1052), or if you're feeling ambitious try Insane Integration (MATH3025)!

PM me for details.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Prove the integral diverges if the argument of the exponential does not describe an ellipse.

Challenge: Formulate a generalisation to the above integral in higher dimensions. (Experience with Linear Algebra will be very handy)

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Prove the integral diverges if the argument of the exponential does not describe an ellipse.

Challenge: Formulate a generalisation to the above integral in higher dimensions. (Experience with Linear Algebra will be very handy)

seanieg89

HSC
Oh didn't see you edited it, was the divergence thing always there and I just blind before?

In any case, we can still represent the quadratic form by a symmetric, hence diagonalisable matrix Q. If the quadratic form does not represent an ellipse, then at least one eigenvalue is non-positive, which implies that at least one of the integrals in the above product of single-variable integrals is infinite and we are done.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Oh didn't see you edited it, was the divergence thing always there and I just blind before?

In any case, we can still represent the quadratic form by a symmetric, hence diagonalisable matrix Q. If the quadratic form does not represent an ellipse, then at least one eigenvalue is non-positive, which implies that at least one of the integrals in the above product of single-variable integrals is infinite and we are done.
I think it was there before. I remember answering it in my head but then forgetting to comment on it in my post. Haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)