highest UAI in history! (1 Viewer)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
According to JUAIseek 2003, laurie wouldve gotten 497.4 in 2003. I know this doesnt mean he got it in 2004 though.

A l

HSC
N/A
Aggregates vary from year to year and cannot be compared between years.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Well I guess you can try out jm's 2004 version, it still gives ~497 for it.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
acmilan said:
According to JUAIseek 2003, laurie wouldve gotten 497.4 in 2003. I know this doesnt mean he got it in 2004 though.
I think he did get 497.4, coz in the UAC pamphlet that I just got in the mail a few days ago, it said that the aggregates for 100.00 ranged from 483.0 to 497.4. I'm pretty sure Laurie would've been the one who got that.

shafqat

HSC
N/A
A l said:
An aggregate is an addition of all the SCALED MARKS out of 500. That means that score comes after the scaling process has been completed. Aligned marks and raw marks are not usually put into an aggregate.

It is hardly possible for anyone to score above 490 as an aggregate at the moment. In order to achieve an aggregate of 490+, a student must top the state or come close to topping the state (i.e. top 5) in nearly all their 10 units provided that the subjects are not capped. I highly doubt anyone would ever achieve this.
See the statistics from 2001-2004 for yourself:
http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/2004-Table-A8.pdf
Go check the state rankings for last year for Laurie Field, and count all the units he was ranked in.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
fakingtheday said:
Haha we all talk about him like we know him.
lol...well, if anything, Shafqat and nit are the ones who can call him "Laurie" since they knew him at SGS :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I have a few classes with him but have never personally met him.

He got:

1st in Classical Greek Continuers
1st in Classical Greek Extension
1st in Latin Continuers
1st in Latin Extension
3rd in Physics
4th in Mathematics Extension 2
11th in English (Advanced)

hasterz

HSC
acmilan said:
I have a few classes with him but have never personally met him.

He got:

1st in Classical Greek Continuers
1st in Classical Greek Extension
1st in Latin Continuers
1st in Latin Extension
3rd in Physics
4th in Mathematics Extension 2
11th in English (Advanced)
its far far far harder to get like 99 for eng adv than 50 for ext 1 and 2 english, even thoiugh they will both = 100 scaled contribution to aggregate. so its actually quite possible to get 500

we need another laurie who instead of doing eng adv, does ext 1 and 2 english. this will then be achieved

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
absolution* said:
Hmm, im pretty sure if i re-did my hsc next year i could at least get into the 99.5+ region. Especially if i only took the subjects i fucked up on.
lol
You are so bitter about not doing Comm/Law @ USyd.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
acmilan said:
Well I guess you can try out jm's 2004 version, it still gives ~497 for it.
JUAIseek approximates the aggregates with a polynomial so you can't use it to get exact values.

If it matches the values on the tables exactly then the other values would be off by more.

HSC
7th Sign said:
some nark at my sisters school got 100 in every subject he did like 2 or 3 years ago, she goes to a selective school so what do you expect......each year like 2 or 3 people get uais of 100 at here school
It says your from the shire.
Best school in shire is caringbah followed by inaburra and then followed by De La Salle.
I think caringbah is the only selective in the school in the shire and they certainly don't get 3 ppl over 100 each year.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
No doubt Henderson has the highest aggregate, after topping 4u maths, latin, 3u latin, classical Greek and 3u classical Greek.

As for Laurie, I would presume he came second, although there was someone who did quite well around 2000. Pity Laurie didn't top maths. Otherwise we would be having a hard time distinguishing him and Henderson.

toeknee

HSC
Jason Hui 88' Second?

sorry AI but you're way off on this one. if 485 was the maximum since the new hsc then using sam no one got 100 uai. THe minimum is about 486.6 aggregate points for 100 uai using sam :D.

Summary:

Jason Hui, Doctor, 496. He's probably second behind that Laurie guy.

I forgot the site and so here's the article

HSC stars 10 years on
(Edited Extract From "Sunday Life" January '99)

Jason Hui, 27, of Sydney Boys' High, came first in the state in 1988 with 496. He studied 4U maths, 2U English, 2U physics, 2U chemistry and 2U economics and is a doctor.

When he arrived in Australia at 13, Hui's English skills were poor. He started year 9 and could barely understand the teacher.

His parents had sent him and his older brother out from Hong Kong to study. They boarded with an Australian family throughout high school and their parents visited when they could. "If you come from overseas with the aim of studying and going to university, you tend to be very focused and less distracted by other things. As the HSC drew closer I just studied whenever there was time. But I loved maths, physics and chemistry so it wasn't a burden.

"Working hard was the norm in my school. It was a fantastic year with a lot of very bright people—there were two 4-Unit maths classes. I think we all pushed each other along and there was a lot of competition. I’m sure I wouldn’t have done as well at another school."

At the time, Hui was tossing up between medicine and engineering and says he probably chose medicine "because there were a lot of engineers in my family and I wanted to do something different." Looking back, it was the right choice. I can’t imagine myself in anything different.

"The amazing thing about medicine is you never stop learning. At each stage you encounter new situations and you have new and difficult decisions to make. That’s what makes it so interesting."

Hui did six years at Sydney University, sharing the University Medal with Mark Gorbatov (88)—a former Sydney Boys’ classmate who came second in the HSC in the same year with 495.

"When I did the HSC, people said it was the hardest exam you ever did. At Uni, you quickly realise that is totally untrue. Exams get harder as you become more advanced and studying and working at the same time is much harder. To work 9-10 hours a day and then get home, have dinner and spend three or four more hours studying is very difficult."

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)