highest uai with no band 6's (1 Viewer)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
A friend of mine managed to get 94.15 with no Band 6 marks, the marks ranging from 72 (English Extension 1, converted) to 89 (PD/H/PE). :).. Most of these marks were Band 5.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
A friend of mine managed to get 94.15 with no Band 6 marks, the marks ranging from 72 (English Extension 1, converted) to 89 (PD/H/PE). :).. Most of these marks were Band 5.
wow
were the other subjects hard ones?
as that is really something, i wonder if some of these uais are totally screwed! including my own!

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER

What infuriates me more, is that ESL gets more scaling than standard END RANT :chainsaw:
but BOS has nothing to do with scaling.....

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
Well if I were to do Med/Vet, I wouldve done sciences/advanced english/4 unit maths, and for Law and Actuaries, it'd make sense to do economics/adv english/2+ unit maths....so i dun really see your point

on topic, a girl from my school last year got 97 with no band 6's (high 80's in 4u math, 3u math, adv english, chem, bio)
Wrong Minai, you don't see my point. Firstly, you only need very basic mathematics for vet and med, but if you want the UAI required for those courses, you gotta do 2/3 or 3/4 unit maths/english - otherwise in a lot of cases your UAI won't be high enough.

and WALLA...BOS is responsible for allignment/moderation of marks (hence things like "capped" subjects") and I acknowledge that UAC are also idiots (which I should've done earlier, fair enough) because it is they who judge a subject on its so-called difficulty and scale it poorly/well.

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Wrong Minai, you don't see my point. Firstly, you only need very basic mathematics for vet and med, but if you want the UAI required for those courses, you gotta do 2/3 or 3/4 unit maths/english - otherwise in a lot of cases your UAI won't be high enough.

UAC are also idiots (which I should've done earlier, fair enough) because it is they who judge a subject on its so-called difficulty and scale it poorly/well.
Thats a huge generalisation...u dont need to do those subjects to get a high UAI, u need to do well in the subjects u do to get a high UAI..

and UAC doesnt scale subjects on their difficulty, thats not how its done at all

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
UAC are also idiots because it is they who judge a subject on its so-called difficulty and scale it poorly/well.
No, they don't. BOS (or its markers) use discretion in deciding band cutoffs and hence the "so-called difficulty" of a subject, but that has nothing to do with scaling. UAC uses no discretion, the scaling of a subject is determined purely mathermatically by the performance of its candidature across all their subjects. No-one at UAC "judges" a subject.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
[Edit: Excuse any repeated comments... some of you posted before I finished writing my reply.]

First, a few brief points -

1. Standard and Advanced English are scaled exactly the same. The scaled mean for the combined candidature has always been higher than that for ESL.

2. The aligning of marks has no effect on UAIs, because it is your raw marks that are used; not the marks given to you by the Board.

3. As Minai [and walla] said, scaling has nothing to do with the difficulty of a course. The scaling is determined by the quality of the candidature. It is not a subjective determination.

Basically, if you want Law/Med/Vet/Actuarials/etc...you have to do sciences/economics/advanced english/2/3/4 unit maths.
What you are actually saying is "if you want a high UAI you have to take high level courses". You are, however, making a small error of logic. Correlation is not causation.

Consider the type of student who generally takes high level courses. They'd usually be - at the very least - fairly intelligent, and very capable. Surely this is exactly the type of person who should be receiving a high UAI. Students who choose not to take high level courses are, more often than not, less 'academically inclined'. These students are exactly the type who would receive a lesser UAI.

I've seen the scaling algorithms. I can't understand how you can argue that they favour some courses over others.

As a sidenote, many universities take into account your HSC marks when making selections, and it is possible for you to receive an offer even if your UAI is too low. I have a friend who did particularly well in biology and was hence accepted into B Science (Advanced) at USYD even though her UAI was an entire point below the cut-off.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
wow
were the other subjects hard ones?
as that is really something, i wonder if some of these uais are totally screwed! including my own!
They were fairly 'hard' subjects.. No Ext.Maths though..
-2-Unit Mathematics
-Physics
-Chemistry,

is a roflcopter
HSC
yeah chudymaster
the dux of maths said basically the same thing as you

he told me at the beginning of the year that only idiots drop science subjects and that i would get a crap uai.

but on hindsight, even though he came 2nd in the state in 4unit maths and heaps good in the sciences, my "crapass bitching scaling" business studies and economics got me the higher uai

Last edited:

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
[Edit: Excuse any repeated comments... some of you posted before I finished writing my reply.]

First, a few brief points -

1. Standard and Advanced English are scaled exactly the same. The scaled mean for the combined candidature has always been higher than that for ESL.

2. The aligning of marks has no effect on UAIs, because it is your raw marks that are used; not the marks given to you by the Board.

3. As Minai [and walla] said, scaling has nothing to do with the difficulty of a course. The scaling is determined by the quality of the candidature. It is not a subjective determination.

What you are actually saying is "if you want a high UAI you have to take high level courses". You are, however, making a small error of logic. Correlation is not causation.

Consider the type of student who generally takes high level courses. They'd usually be - at the very least - fairly intelligent, and very capable. Surely this is exactly the type of person who should be receiving a high UAI. Students who choose not to take high level courses are, more often than not, less 'academically inclined'. These students are exactly the type who would receive a lesser UAI.

I've seen the scaling algorithms. I can't understand how you can argue that they favour some courses over others.

As a sidenote, many universities take into account your HSC marks when making selections, and it is possible for you to receive an offer even if your UAI is too low. I have a friend who did particularly well in biology and was hence accepted into B Science (Advanced) at USYD even though her UAI was an entire point below the cut-off.
Ugh, I'm wasted on you people. I am doing a lot of correlation to make my points, but it's only fair, because I'm speaking practically, not theoretically.

Whatever your definitions are, I would like to bring to your attention that Industrial technology courses are scaled down from high forties to high thirties and there isn't a God damn way to prevent this. You can work as high as you like, you can top the freakin state for all UAC cares - in the end, your UAI suffers. This, I've learned both from statistical analysis and a friend's results.

Furthermore, let me just illustrate to you how unfair scaling is:
My friend's marks:
eco 94, adveng 89, ext1 eng 48, INDUSTRIAL TECH 95, maths 92, maths ext. 47

His UAI = 97.85

My marks:
chem 90, adveng 93, ext eng 46, physics 91, maths 95, maths ext. 47

My UAI = 99.10

Explain the justice in that?

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I would like to bring to your attention that Industrial technology courses are scaled down from high forties to high thirties
This is incorrect, and demonstrates a misunderstanding of the scaling statistics.

I quote from the full 2002 report:

When reading the table it must be remembered that the Board's HSC mark indicates a standard reached whereas a scaled mark indicates a students position in the course candidature if all students had completed that course. Because HSC marks and scaled marks serve these two different purposes, comparing HSC and scaled marks is of no value, and can lead to misinterpretations that may affect student choices of courses to study.

The only way to determine whether a course was scaled up or down is to subtract 25 from the scaled mean (giving the 'course loading'). A positive loading indicates positive scaling, and, similarly, a negative loading indicates that the course was scaled down. It's impossible to say what anything was scaled from or scaled to, as no information whatsoever is known about raw marks.

Having said that, it is true that Industrial Technology was scaled down in 2003. But that's all that can be said.

Furthermore, let me just illustrate to you how unfair scaling is:
[reformatted by author - plus/minus indicates type of scaling]
My friend's marks:

1. Adv Eng 89 (+)
2. Ext Eng 48 (+)
3. Maths 92 (+)
4. Maths Ext 47 (+)
5. Economics 94 (+)
6. Ind Tech 95 (-)

His UAI = 97.85

My marks:
1. Adv Eng 93 (+)
2. Ext Eng 46 (+)
3. Maths 95 (+)
4. Maths Ext 47 (+)
5. Chemistry 90 (+)
6. Physics 91 (+)

My UAI = 99.10

Explain the justice in that?
Okay. Here we go.

I've altered the order of your courses to make this easier. The marks for the first four courses are directly comparable. Let's deal with them first.

English (Advanced) - You win.
Your mark of 93 is clearly above his mark of 89. There'd be about an 8-point difference between your percentiles.

English Extension 1 - He wins.
His mark of 48 is above your mark of 46. That difference corresponds to about 7% of the candidature. He wins here. Keep in mind that this is a 1-unit course.

Mathematics - You win.
Your mark of 95 is above his mark of 92. Again, this corresponds to beating around an extra 7% of the candidature.

Maths Extension 1 - Draw.
Your marks are the same. No issue.

Of those four directly comparable courses, you come out on top overall. But you probably already knew that.

It's somewhat more difficult to compare the remaining courses. It's not impossible... however, we have to use scaled marks to do it.

Chemistry (course loading: 6.5)
Your scaled mark ~ 44.7/50
This places you at the 94th percentile.

Physics (course loading: 5.3)
Your scaled mark ~ 43.8/50
This places you at the 93rd percentile.

Economics (course loading: 6.0)
His scaled mark ~ 45.6/50
This places him at the 96th percentile.

Industrial Technology (course loading: -8.1)
His scaled mark ~ 38.0/50
This places him at the 99th percentile.

Perhaps I didn't need to go through all of that, but I like to have a clear 'big picture' of what is going on. It's clear now what you're asking... but not entirely clear what you're disputing. How can a student scoring in the top 1% for a course end up with such a (comparatively) poor scaled mark?

The appropriate answer would involve another explanation of the underlying mechanisms of the scaling algorithms. That's already been given a few times in this thread... doesn't seem to be what you're after. In fact I'm not exactly sure what you're after.

Let's try and make things clearer (again):

Fact: Industrial Technology had a scaled mean of 16.9.
This means that the overall academic ability of all students who took Industrial Technology was low. Overall academic ability is measured from the performance of each student in all the courses they took. It's analogous to calculating the average academic ability for every student taking IT, and then averaging all of those averages to give an overall course average. This is how the scaled mean is determined, and hence determines whether a course is scaled up or down.

The rationale: In a course that is taken by students with a high overall academic ability, it is harder for an average student to attain a high ranking. In a course that is taken by students with a low overall academic ability (such as IT), it is easier for an average student to attain a high ranking. Each of these cases must be compensated for - the first course will be scaled up whilst the second will be scaled down. This balances marks across all courses.

Which part of this are you disputing? Do you disagree with the methods used to calculate scaled means? Or do you think Industrial Technology actually has a very able candidature?

I'm assuming that, even with everything I've written, you won't be satisfied after this post. I urge you to tell us exactly what you have a problem with. Pinpoint it. Describe the flaw. Make it blatantly obvious.

Otherwise we could go on forever.

ND

HSC

Basically, if you want Law/Med/Vet/Actuarials/etc...you have to do sciences/economics/advanced english/2/3/4 unit maths.
Not really, my next door neighbour got 99.3 with Drama, Visual arts, 4u english and ancient history. She didn't even expect to get 90, what i nice surprise it must've been.

thehalford

Ok, Back on subject...
One of my mates got mid-80s in everything and ended up w/96.1 UAI.

Adv Eng - 80
Chem - 84
SDD - 86
3u Maths - 89
4u Maths - 84 (I think)
Physics - 87

Not Bad.:)

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Lazarus, I disagree that there is a so called compensated balance between "hard" and "easy" subjects. The data is right in front of you, yet you fail to see that my friend clearly did well in industrial tech. He was undoubtedly placed in a higher percentile than I for my corresponding subject (say phys or chem).

Therefore, for his UAI to be over a point less than mine is somewhat ludicrous (even though I did quite better in adveng and maths, which in a way could be compensated for via his extension english and economics)

So let's get back to the root of what I'm saying - I think everyone who wants a CHANCE of a good UAI should go for high scaled subjects (eg. economics/sciences and higher level english and maths- but NOT exclusively...ND i'm referring to YOU!)

I think it's unfair for teacher to discourage people from doing advanced english to do standard and I think it's unfair that teachers support industrial technology and VET courses when they do nothing for a student's UAI.

I DO acknowledge that if more students do these harder courses, it could either make it harder or easier to get better scaling (Depending on whether the extra people doing it are smarter or dumber)

I guess the only way I can conclude is that the scaling system needs to be erased - forever. :D

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Dash
Ohhh... ur in for it now dude! :p
I agree. Both sides will now be quoting each other, quoting other sources, and we'll end up with page-long posts.
Originally posted by Lazarus
Okay. Here we go.

Let's try and make things clearer (again):

Otherwise we could go on forever.
:eek:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Lazarus, I disagree that there is a so called compensated balance between "hard" and "easy" subjects.
Once again, scaling has nothing to do with the difficulty of a course. Whether the content of a course is "hard" or "easy" is irrelevant, and is never at any stage taken into account. Never.

The data is right in front of you, yet you fail to see that my friend clearly did well in industrial tech. He was undoubtedly placed in a higher percentile than I for my corresponding subject (say phys or chem).
You are making the same mistake you were making when comparing aligned marks with scaled marks. The two are incomparable. In exactly the same way, you cannot compare percentiles betweeen courses. The 90th percentile in physics is not the same as the 90th percentile in industrial technology, unless the candidatures are exactly the same. This is not the case. Your comparisons are invalid.

The ONLY figures that are comparable between courses are scaled marks. Working backwards from the scaled marks reveals the following equivalencies:

Industrial Technology (99th percentile) <-> Physics (75th percentile)
Industrial Technology (99th percentile) <-> Chemistry (73rd percentile)
Industrial Technology (mark of 95) <-> Physics (mark of 75)
Industrial Technology (mark of 95) <-> Chemistry (mark of 79)

Sure, your friend did great compared to everyone who takes Industrial Technology. But the vast majority of students who take IT are not 'academically able' and tend not to do well overall in their courses. If you slot your friend's IT performance into a 'more able' candidature, such as that of physics or chemistry, it suddenly doesn't look quite as good.

I guess the only way I can conclude is that the scaling system needs to be erased - forever. :D
Okay... I'm happy to call it quits now. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)