• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Hillary Clinton OR Barack Obama? (1 Viewer)

Which one would you choose?

• Barack Obama

Votes: 189 76.2%
  • Hillary Clinton

Votes: 59 23.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Will HDTV do to McCain what TV did to Nixon?
The question worth asking.

Muz4PM

HSC
Clinton won Kentucky by quite a margin 65/30. I thought Clinton would do well, but not 35 points.

Obama just won Oregon 58/42 with 83% of the vote counted.

I saw an interesting graphic on Fox, when you look at the primaries won by both candidates, Clinton has won alot of the swing states where as Obama has won alot of Republican states. I guess the questions the Democrats, and the super delegates need to ask themselves, is Obama the strongest candidate? Is he able to withstand a campaign against the Republicans and reach out to middle America?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Hillary has won big states like California, NY, Texas, Ohio and Florida, but the first two will go to any Democrat, the third will go to any Republican.
It's the last two that are the crucial swings.

At any rate, the nomination question has been reframed to "Can Obama win without Hillary as VP?"

Muz4PM

HSC
Iron said:
Hillary has won big states like California, NY, Texas, Ohio and Florida, but the first two will go to any Democrat, the third will go to any Republican.
It's the last two that are the crucial swings.

At any rate, the nomination question has been reframed to "Can Obama win without Hillary as VP?"
Add to that list New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Arkansas, Nevada, even Indiana looks vulnerable.

I really don't think Obama can win without Clinton, or someone like Clinton as VP. As mentioned before, she appeals to the middle, working class white American, your typical swinging voters. I don't think he does that, especially with the various associations he has with Rev. Wright etc, the Republicans will continually use that against him.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah, but would anyone be surprised if McCain... dies.. during the campaign?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
To put it in perspective, 74% of Americans are White; 15% are Hispanic; only 12% are black. If my spidery senses are correct, the Hispanic/Black tension will cancel eachother out electorally, so, assuming that Obama will carry all white liberals, he has to be very persuasive with white conservatives. This is why he was so reluctant to comment of Rvd Wright.
Hillary is taking a cat-o-nine tails to him on this. She knows it's his weakness, she's tearing into him ala Roman guard, Jerusalem. If she cant have the whole pie, she'll demand a slice or else she'll let slip the cake of war. She arguably did a similar thing by her suspicious silence in 04.

The Grim Raper

HSC
He's black and his name rhymes with the most well known terrorist in the world, what more could you want in a president?

Obama bin Laden - FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Does anyone think that Hillary will have a chance in 2012?
I personally think that her looks compensate for her lack of charisma atm, but her efforts to hold back old lady sag is clearly at breaking point. I really think that she'll just look too old to win in 5 years

Muz4PM

HSC
Iron said:
I personally think that her looks compensate for her lack of charisma atm, but her efforts to hold back old lady sag is clearly at breaking point. I really think that she'll just look too old to win in 5 years
She will be 65. Not totally past it, I think her last real chance is now, in four years she could do it, but I agree, she may look too old. That being said, McCain is 72, but he seems to hold his age well and make it work for him in the whole, old, wise, C-in-C image.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Muz4PM said:
That being said, McCain is 72, but he seems to hold his age well and make it work for him in the whole, old, wise, C-in-C image.
But he's a man. Old men get more respect. Old women are old.

HSC
May 23

Hillary Clinton today brought up the assassination of Sen. Robert Kennedy while defending her decision to stay in the race against Barack Obama.

"My husband did not wrap up the nomination in 1992 until he won the California primary somewhere in the middle of June, right? We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California. I don't understand it," she said, dismissing calls to drop out.

Obama's camp immediately fired back.

"Sen. Clinton's statement before the Argus Leader editorial board was unfortunate and has no place in this campaign," Obama campaign spokesman said in a statement.

Clinton made her comments at a meeting with the Sioux Falls Argus-Leader's editorial board while campaigning in South Dakota, where she complained that, "People have been trying to push me out of this ever since Iowa."

Obama, the first African-American to advance so far in the race for the White House, has faced threats, sources have said.

Robert Kennedy, the younger brother of President John F. Kennedy, was gunned down in 1968 after winning the California primary. He had been a hero on the left for his civil rights agenda and calls to end the war in Vietnam.

Barack Obama, who leads Clinton by nearly 200 delegates and has already secured a majority of pledged delegates, has been the subject of threats. Early in the campaign, the Secret Service gave him a security detail at the request of Sen. Richard Durbin (D-Illinois).

Clinton criticized an "urgency" to end the campaign prematurely, saying, "Historically, that makes no sense."

She later issued an apology for the remark.

"I regret that if my referencing that moment of trauma for our entire nation and in particular the Kennedy family was in any way offensive. I certainly had no intention of that whatsoever," the former first lady said.

Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson defended the comments to The Post, "She was talking about the length of the race and using the '68 election as an example of how long the races in the past have gone -- she used her husband's race in the same vein."

Source: http://www.nypost.com/seven/0523200...ll_wont_drop_out__bobby_kennedy_wa_112232.htm
What can she do to go lower? :O

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Iron said:
I think come 2012, if she were to run again, she would be judged more on her comments and actions coming towards the end of this campaign, above any age factor.

Imo, she is only doing herself damage by staying in now against Obama if she was serious about a 2012 tilt. She's kidding herself.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
veloc1ty said:
What can she do to go lower? :O
Oh my! That is scary.
Apparently Bill is lobbying for her to make VP, but perhaps she sniffs this impossibility. There's too much bad blood now, she would somewhat compromise his 'change' bs, and if Obama gave a whiff of weakness by 2012, she'd grin like a wolf and savage him from behind in a flash

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
The nescessity for the Republican Candidate to win has increased tenfold as the chance of Clinton winning the Democratic nombination has plumetted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)