History & Memory Visual Representation (1 Viewer)

Fenwickinho

HSC
Hey guys,

In a little over a week I have an assessment due on "History & Memory" in which we have to address the statement:

"History is as unreliable as memory"

We have to focus on our prescribed text (The Queen) and TWO texts of our own choosing, and present our findings in powerpoint form. We can use visual and written elements to convey our ideas and reinforce the central message which is being communicated. On top of this, our task needs to be accompanied by a 2500 word written explanation.

I'm not asking anyone to do the assessment for me, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips or ideas to get me started? We've kind of rushed through history and memory before the trials, and I don't think I've fully grasped the idea of it yet.

Also, I have already chosen one additional text (An interview between Andrew Denton and Mark 'Chopper' Read) but I'm not sure what I should choose as the second..

It's between two films - 'Saving Private Ryan' or 'The Rabbit Proof Fence'. I'm thinking about going for the rabbit proof fence, but not totally sure which would suit the topic better. What do you guys reckon?

Or I was thinking about doing "Frontline"?

Any feedback would seriously be VERY appreciated. Sorry about the length of the post - thanks so much to anyone who actually takes the time to read it!

Cheers.

Last edited:

Becky222

Hmm..
HSC
heyy
we have a similar assessment due in less than a week where we have to design a comic and as i have the imagination of a flea its a bit of a problem hahaa

i think the key idea is that you are able to show the interplay between history and memory which links to the quote you were given. e.g. memory can become distorted by the nature of its recollection and therefore cannot be seen as accurate. Similarly it is impossible to get a complete picture of the past through history as it also has its limitations. Some people take the view that it is through the combination of history AND memory that you come closest to gaining access to the past. Although complete access to the past is impossible due to the fallibility of both history and memory.

hopefully that made sense, i think i rambled on a bit but hopefully you get the jist :)

you wouldn't by any chance be able to think of any clever ideas i could incorporate into my comic?

Fenwickinho

HSC
Hey!

Thanks so much for that.. really appreciate it :)

Ideas for a comic.. hmm - maybe you could base your comic around an object or image that represents history (for example, a doll missing a leg) and a group of people looking at the doll from different areas. Their perspectives represent history - one may see only the face of the doll (and not the missing leg) and thus base their perspective of it on that, and another may see the body of the doll - including the missing leg - and base their perspective/memory on that.

Thats all I can really think of off the top of my head haha - its probably pretty useless though!

Thanks for your help anyways :)

Becky222

Hmm..
HSC
Hey
Wow that is such a good idea, too bad i handed it in yesterday. You have quite an imagination :)
Good luck for the HSC :music:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)