• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Hmmm should we be helping each other out now for externals?? (1 Viewer)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Teachers , tutors and various people have told me that now since our internal marks are nearly finalised and completed..

People in our cohort should be helping each other out or something for externals ???? because our school marks as a whole now matter or something, so we all have to perform well in my year

can anyone confirm this o_O... im not sure how this process works ??

teachers also said that we should be sharing resources like notes and etc between people in the year o_O is this advised??

josh_blick

HSC
N/A
Of course you should be, the cohort average in the externals is matched with the cohort average in the internals (basically). Therefore ideally your better off going as well as you can in the externals with everyone in your cohort beating you, then they're going to 'drag' up your internal marks. A good result for the cohort is a good result for you at this stage.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Of course you should be, the cohort average in the externals is matched with the cohort average in the internals (basically). Therefore ideally your better off going as well as you can in the externals with everyone in your cohort beating you, then they're going to 'drag' up your internal marks. A good result for the cohort is a good result for you at this stage.

So it does not matter if alot of people beat me in the externals because ideally all our marks would be pushed up right if we all do well??

hmmm so i guess sharing resources with people in our year now is a good thing??? ....

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
loll.. okay then im considering make a resources page >.< with my cohorts hahaha so we can all contribute resources and notes together and yeah push our marks up..

tambam

HSC
So it does not matter if alot of people beat me in the externals because ideally all our marks would be pushed up right if we all do well??

hmmm so i guess sharing resources with people in our year now is a good thing??? ....
To some extent it is beneficial for you, but don't fully diverge alll your best notes/essays because you still want to beat theem in the exxteernal exam.

However, if you are onne of the top students at a low rank scchool, potentially having your sschool prform badlyy in the hscc will disadvantage you,, because the moderation of internal marks might not work in your favour. (Read other threads if you don't kknow how internal marks are moderated)

So to an exttent, you want your coohort to do well, becausse the average of your internal markswill be higher, and your mark will be pushed up.
But remember hsc external is always your own mark, does not depend on other peoplle, so you still want to beat everyone else to get the highest overall mark
(Sorry for typos)

jamesfirst

HSC
It shouldn't matter if they beat you. Because they will bring you up if they do... There's no ranking in external exams.

khfreakau

HSC
It shouldn't matter if they beat you. Because they will bring you up if they do... There's no ranking in external exams.
yeah, this. give away everything to all your friends that you think will help them, the very fact that they might beat you in externals may save you from getting a shitty external mark. there's no reason why you shouldn't give everyone in your cohort as much as you can. giving your notes away will not affect your external mark...

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
im just sharing every resource i hav wiff my cohort. ur not actually going to no wat most of them get for their atar anyway. so theres no point trying to beat them atar wise.

enoilgam

HSC
To some extent it is beneficial for you, but don't fully diverge alll your best notes/essays because you still want to beat theem in the exxteernal exam.

However, if you are onne of the top students at a low rank scchool, potentially having your sschool prform badlyy in the hscc will disadvantage you,, because the moderation of internal marks might not work in your favour. (Read other threads if you don't kknow how internal marks are moderated)

So to an exttent, you want your coohort to do well, becausse the average of your internal markswill be higher, and your mark will be pushed up.
But remember hsc external is always your own mark, does not depend on other peoplle, so you still want to beat everyone else to get the highest overall mark
(Sorry for typos)
This.

HSC
Uni Grad
omg you guys are so competitive

there's a girl like that at my school and everyone hates her

high school is about more than just the hsc

srsly she'll spend 5 years of high school building relationships and friendships with her peers only to be remembered as that arrogant bitch who refused to help others and purposely sabotaged other students in order to get one more mark

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
fuck you are all shit, you should help people before your trials as well.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
omg you guys are so competitive

there's a girl like that at my school and everyone hates her

high school is about more than just the hsc

srsly she'll spend 5 years of high school building relationships and friendships with her peers only to be remembered as that arrogant bitch who refused to help others and purposely sabotaged other students in order to get one more mark
Who is it lol

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
^^Wow, who knew things were so cutthroat a Picnic Point High School!
lol it's not, there's only like 3 people who are really smart, rest are average (this is shown when the top maths class gets an average mark of 20% for a 5.3 test)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
fuck you are all shit, you should help people before your trials as well.
This. Why do some of you cunts have to be so selfish? I helped people before my trials, A guy beat me by 1 mark, so what. He probably needed that 1 mark more than me. I believe in helping people. When I heard a teacher say that before trials we shouldn't be helping each other, I wanted to smash him in the face.

I don't like seeing people fail, unless of course they put in no effort at all to study.

khfreakau

HSC
This. Why do some of you cunts have to be so selfish? I helped people before my trials, A guy beat me by 1 mark, so what. He probably needed that 1 mark more than me. I believe in helping people. When I heard a teacher say that before trials we shouldn't be helping each other, I wanted to smash him in the face.

I don't like seeing people fail, unless of course they put in no effort at all to study.
Haha it's not like people are like deaththroat about this. at my school, even though it's pretty damn competitive, most people will answer your questions if you ask them, i just don't think people would be willing to give away their resources until after trials. besides, the best way to learn is to teach.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
I believe in helping people out, even when competing with them through internals. Even people im going against for first spot, i still try and help them because i see it as a team effort, and I dislike people who will be sad enough to put ranks in front of friendships. We all have the same opportunity, just because you hand someone notes, and they kick your arse, shouldn't hate on them. You both had the same notes, but they obviously worked harder and performed better.

Whilst, some may say, you probably won't talk to them after school, it's likely to be true. However, part of life in the 'Real world' is about working together, and reaching goals. There is too much take these days, and not enough give.

So OP, don't be Jack, and helps others out.

Last edited:

RANK 1

HSC
helping ppl out makes me feel better about myself because it means that im better than the person im helping. thus teaching other people allows me to exert my intellectual superiority

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
helping ppl out makes me feel better about myself because it means that im better than the person im helping. thus teaching other people allows me to exert my intellectual superiority
LMAO, "I thought it was meant to read: helping ppl out makes me feel better about myself because it means that im better than the person who doesn't help others. thus teaching other people allows me to exert my intellectual superiority"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)