Holiday pre-study (1 Viewer)

Rohanco

HSC
I'm Re-studying some prelim stuff and doing the basics in the yr12 syllabus for 2u, reading through Ancient and Bio textbooks making dodge notes (plan to do more indepth notes through out the course of next year), and reading/watching my English prescribed's and related's making detailed notes and practising essays. :) looking forward to yr12 in a weird way Haha

CJBest

HSC
I've written all my notes for all my subjects; Economics, Chemistry, Physics & advanced & ext 1 english (keeping a close eye on the syllabus dot points)...I've read all the prescribed texts for english, as well as a collection of potential related texts that I may use. Furthermore I've begun to draft essays for all the modules for english & the various sections of the economics syllabus. Next wk I'll just focus on 4unit & 3unit maths, and do every past paper I can find. It's been difficult doing 8-10hrs a day, but waking up 5.00am in the morning certainly helps!! Good luck guys, its showtime!

Mdzabakly

HSC
I've written all my notes for all my subjects; Economics, Chemistry, Physics & advanced & ext 1 english (keeping a close eye on the syllabus dot points)...I've read all the prescribed texts for english, as well as a collection of potential related texts that I may use. Furthermore I've begun to draft essays for all the modules for english & the various sections of the economics syllabus. Next wk I'll just focus on 4unit & 3unit maths, and do every past paper I can find. It's been difficult doing 8-10hrs a day, but waking up 5.00am in the morning certainly helps!! Good luck guys, its showtime!
DAMN THIS GUY!!!
i wish i were you right now

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Besides doing 3U & 4U and Year 12 Physics work at tutor, I, by myself, have done nothing really besides looking at random Year 12 Economics content to get a feel for the course.

starshine02

HSC
I've read the first module of biology, reread gatsby, skimmed over some english notes and finished off a few chapters of maths hw. But i also went out a lot so it's a balance i guess.

HSC
Nope.. I really haven't been doing anything since I know it'll be my last holiday to totally chill for a while :\ . Although, I'm planning to read through the first module of chemistry as it is my weakest subject..

enoilgam

HSC
To be honest, I would be taking it easy these holidays. Just read over your texts for english and otherwise relax - you dont want to go all out now only to fizzle out next year around trial time when you need to be on your game. Never underestimate the importance of rest and relaxation when it comes to the HSC. I kept things light during the holidays between prelim and HSC as well as the Christmas holidays and it helped me so much in the long run.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
To be honest, I would be taking it easy these holidays. Just read over your texts for english and otherwise relax - you dont want to go all out now only to fizzle out next year around trial time when you need to be on your game. Never underestimate the importance of rest and relaxation when it comes to the HSC. I kept things light during the holidays between prelim and HSC as well as the Christmas holidays and it helped me so much in the long run.
This lol.

These holidays I've just been going out with carrotsticks, enoilgam, twinklegal, deswa, etc like every second day.

Just relaxing and enjoying it. But have done some maths during it I guess, so I have done some work.

iBibah

HSC
This lol.

These holidays I've just been going out with carrotsticks, enoilgam, twinklegal, deswa, etc like every second day.

Just relaxing and enjoying it. But have done some maths during it I guess, so I have done some work.
+1

Do stuff you enjoy and when you get some free time here and there do some study.

HSC
N/A
Hi Everyone,

Some interesting discussion here! Thought I'd share some opinions on how to approach English these holidays for the 2013'ers looking to get ahead, from the perspective of the state's highest achievers. Having achieved ATARs of 99.90+, our collective opinion is to of course focus on Maths/Science during the holidays where you can do as much practice as possible and 'get it out of the way'. That's of course a valid approach and we encourage it.

However, a commonly made mistake is to not touch English at all because the path forward is perceived as being unclear ('English? How on Earth can I study for that right now, we haven't started anything!!') If you get the right things done, it will make your trials so, so much easier (like, seriously). I've prepared a list to help you guys out.

During these holidays, we recommend that you:
  1. Write your creative! Get something, anything on paper. This is the singular most helpful thing you can do for yourself in these holidays. Once you have something on paper, you can start mouldign it and polishing it all year long. It would be tragic if you had to write a belonging a month in advance of your trials, which is what the majority of students sadly do.,
  2. Read as many of your prescribed core texts as possible (extensive analysis not required, just read/watch and familiarise at this stage). This will allow you to focus on analysis/forming a thesis during class when your peers are learning/watching it for the first time.
  3. Find a related text for belonging, and start having a think about related texts for Module C.
  4. Learn how to approach the reading task, and do as much practice as possible at this stage! This is the section in English where you can guarantee full marks. Practice makes perfect! You will NOT have time to do a reading task (or two) every week when your trials are upon you. Get it out of the way.

We realise that the above list might be daunting, but it's a lot easier to complete than it seems. Get your creative and related texts out of the way, and you'll have a profound advantage over your peers when they're all tripping over themselves to write a creative and find a related a week before their first assessment/trials. At that stage, having had completed the fundamentals during the holidays, you can be perfecting your essays and examination technique. That, is the key to success.

Kind Regards,
Delta Education

Last edited:

Mdzabakly

HSC
Hi Everyone,

Some interesting discussion here! Thought I'd share some opinions on how to approach English these holidays for the 2013'ers looking to get ahead, from the perspective of the state's highest achievers. Having achieved ATARs of 99.90+, our collective opinion is to of course focus on Maths/Science during the holidays where you can do as much practice as possible and 'get it out of the way'. That's of course a valid approach and we encourage it.

However, a commonly made mistake is to not touch English at all because the path forward is perceived as being unclear ('English? How on Earth can I study for that right now, we haven't started anything!!') If you get the right things done, it will make your trials so, so much easier (like, seriously). I've prepared a list to help you guys out.

1. Write your creative! Get something, anything on paper. This is the singular most helpful thing you can do for yourself in these holidays. Once you have something on paper, you can start mouldign it and polishing it all year long. It would be tragic if you had to write a belonging a month in advance of your trials, which is what the majority of students sadly do.,
  2. Read as many of your prescribed core texts as possible (extensive analysis not required, just read/watch and familiarise at this stage). This will allow you to focus on analysis/forming a thesis during class when your peers are learning/watching it for the first time.
  3. Find a related text for belonging, and start having a think about related texts for Module C.
  4. Learn how to approach the reading task, and do as much practice as possible at this stage! This is the section in English where you can guarantee full marks. Practice makes perfect! You will NOT have time to do a reading task (or two) every week when your trials are upon you. Get it out of the way.

We realise that the above list might be daunting, but it's a lot easier to complete than it seems. Get your creative and related texts out of the way, and you'll have a profound advantage over your peers when they're all tripping over themselves to write a creative and find a related a week before their first assessment/trials. At that stage, having had completed the fundamentals during the holidays, you can be perfecting your essays and examination technique. That, is the key to success.

Kind Regards,
Delta Education
I feel good cuz this is what i did :D.
planining on 1 Reading response at least per week until im getting full marks :DDD

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Hi Everyone,

Kind Regards,
Delta Education
Nice Ideas, could even be put in a thread of its own somewhere.

Hila

HSC
^^ Thank you for that Delta Education.
It was what I was starting to do :)
I haven't really done anything yet... Since I burnt out pretty badly in year 11 I decided to relax for one week and get to work next week, to like 'fuel up'.
I've begun reading some of my prescribed texts for English, Frankenstein and 'As you like it' (Shakespeare). I've read most of Birthday Letters last year for fun when we were doing Sylvia Plath, so I'm pretty familiarized with that. I've also begun thinking about my extention2 major work and looking for belonging related text. Ugh, for Ex1 I still need to find four crime fiction books...

Since my next week begins tomorrow :p I'll probably spend some time tying up some loose ends of year 11, rereading some notes and stuff.
I'm going to get some notes of this site of things I'll be doing in my subjects and start familiarizing myself with that. Write some stories and practice essay and take a look at past papers on the HSC to get a glimpse of what I'm working towards. I'm really going to take it easy without overloading on work... Do NOT wanna burn out before the term starts.

Renegader

HSC
Oh. My. God.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
wow fml

ncoul

HSC
Atypical Riverview boy, i'm calling bullshit.

gleeek

HSC
Hi Everyone,

Kind Regards,
Delta Education
Thank you so much, this helped a lot :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)