Homework vs. Study (1 Viewer)

Beffy

When you add up the time you study in say a week, would you include the time spent doing homework set from school/tutoring?

I seem to spend all the time I have doing homework!!!:mad:

Do some subjects seem to get more homework, or is it my combination (Adv english, 2u/3u maths, phys, chem, bio, IPT), that seems to take forever to get the work done??:confused:

Maybe i'm doing this all wrong, cos I haven't been able to study nearly anything at all, and I have 1 month until my 1/2 yearly's...any thoughts on how I should shedule my time???

All inputs thankfully accepted...:p

schwang_thang

neways, Beffy: i wuddn't b 2 worried...in yr 12 i was kinda worried as well bcos all my time was spent doin homework rather than actually revising n stuff. but when exam time comes, all u'll need r ur notes - just study them n u'll b a-ok :D actually i think most ppl don't study in the non-exam period at all, either

AGB

HSC
this might not be of any help becoz u seem to be getting a lot of homework...but my situation is that im not actually getting that much work (maybe 2 hours a night) and the rest of the time that i have is spent on studyin

i guess the key is discipline...

maybe if u made a list of the hwk u were getting each night in the form of a timetable and stuck to it, there might be sum time left over for study...

in relation to the half yearly's - the teachers would be likely to ease off the hwk in the coming weeks wouldnt they??

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah i dont really do harcore study either - i dont think anyone does. i ALWAYS do my homework each night... which is about 4-5 hours each night... but not 5 hours straight of course!

i do phys, bio, re, english, maths, ipt so theres alot of homework i gotta do...

homework is study in my terms... if you do your homework, studying later will be less troublesome coz you acutally absorb things when you do your homework

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by ToOhEyZ
yeah i dont really do harcore study either - i dont think anyone does. i ALWAYS do my homework each night... which is about 4-5 hours each night... but not 5 hours straight of course!

i do phys, bio, re, english, maths, ipt so theres alot of homework i gotta do...

homework is study in my terms... if you do your homework, studying later will be less troublesome coz you acutally absorb things when you do your homework
congrats...i woud say tooheyz has got it sorted out pretty well. i used to study an hour or maybe two last year....but now i study close to 4 hrs per day on avg. study as in doing hw and some extra work....not actually "studying"

AGB

HSC
i cant really comment too much on this topic as i am only in year 11 (but i am doing two year 12 subjects). every now and then when i have some spare time i will go back and look at topics that we have already finished...i think that it helps keep everything clear, fresh and up to date in your mind - when it comes to the exams, studyin then becomes a breeze!

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Try to set one weekend away to just read through a topic of a textbook for a subject. Just read it through, even if you dont understand it all.

This takes a while, but seriously worth it so things arent absolutely new in class. Then do it again before exams and you sorta feel good now that you understand the stuff you didnt before.

Homework in the middle of these two processes will keep you in good stead.

Ac

Twintip

I just do normal homework and the only subjects that I constantly revise on top of normal homework is 4u maths and philosophy because it is easy to forget how to do stuff quickly in maths and I don't get set any real 'homework' as-such for philosohpy.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
homework should be done, imo if and only if it is relevant for exams and assessments or to help you study ...

the more homework you do, the easier it should be to study (and study effectively) ...

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
homework should be done, imo if and only if it is relevant for exams and assessments or to help you study ...

the more homework you do, the easier it should be to study (and study effectively) ...
I agree. That's what homework should be. Pointless little assignments and so on can go by the board.

ryan

maybe its my classes.. then again it might just be me also, ut i only truly get 2-3 hours of homework a night, some nights i may do up to 5 hours, but mostly its 2 for me, i got geog, 2u math, stand. eng, info tech and design tech.

the reson why i dont get so much h/work could prob be that i got so many free's (6 per week) and i do get quite a lot of work done in this time period.

Beffy

Well u all seem to have your time pretty well set up... a free period I suppose would help, but unfortunately I don't have any!

Does the note you make from homework/class work count as study notes? Or do seperate notes need to be made/typed up to count as study note?

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by Beffy
Well u all seem to have your time pretty well set up... a free period I suppose would help, but unfortunately I don't have any!

Does the note you make from homework/class work count as study notes? Or do seperate notes need to be made/typed up to count as study note?
i do make notes in class, but only coz the teacher wants us to...i prefer to do my own notes under syllabus headings in the format i want and on the computer

there is still sum valuable stuff (for me anyway) in the stuff the teacher gives us, however i dont like to leave any gaps in my notes and i find that this might happen if i didnt do it myself

Rahul

Dead Member
free periods...i have 9! and i do 13 units. if i was to drop sdd i would have around 18!!! .......hmmmm should i?....dont think i will

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
free periods...i have 9! and i do 13 units. if i was to drop sdd i would have around 18!!! .......hmmmm should i?....dont think i will
I did 13 and only had 5 free, plus I had two morning classes :(.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
morning classes are good ... because your usually most alert shortly after wake up ... unless you wake up in class or after class :p

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
morning classes are good ... because your usually most alert shortly after wake up ... unless you wake up in class or after class :p
You should have seen our class, that started anytime from 7.30 to 7.50 depending on when everyone showed up :p

At the start of term we had a bit of energy and when all 6 of us turned up we could get some good discussions going in French. We usually had a table tennis match before and after class too :d. But as the weeks went on we ended up in a semi-comatose state where we heard and saw everythign that went on but barely spoke LOl!

Rahul

Dead Member
i like morning classes coz u r pretty "smart" during that tym, but u do need a while to get the brain working

Originally posted by AGB
i cant really comment too much on this topic as i am only in year 11 (but i am doing two year 12 subjects). every now and then when i have some spare time i will go back and look at topics that we have already finished...i think that it helps keep everything clear, fresh and up to date in your mind - when it comes to the exams, studyin then becomes a breeze!
hey agb, are you acculumilating subjects.good on ya my friend.If studying a breeze for you and you take ur time, you should achieve your goals pretty easily!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)