Homosexuality in Australia (6 Viewers)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

nikolas

HSC
Freakin600 said:
at the end of the quote.:)
ohh rightio! thanks!

but go figure, the first time it seems to work for me is the time i'm saying it never works! =P
Didnt work in this case because there were two [/quote]'s, one that i had written originally and the one you used to quote me.

Last edited:

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
I am a christian with little to no opinion on homosexuality. I've never critically read the passages referring to it, so I don't have enough to base an opinion on I guess.

But all this "homosexual people are evil" "at least I'm not one of them fags" "I'm better than you and I know better than you" mentality is so much bullshit. If you're a christian and condemning people for sexual immorality, your double standards for people and unlovingness is not what God wants from you. Be opposed to it, if you will, but do it in a loving and not a judgemental way. It's not up to you to decide who can have a relationship with God.

Also, people are allowed to live in 'de facto' relationships in australia, which isn't following sex-inside-marriage rules, so isn't it a bit of a contradiction that one sort of union is allowed and another is not? Marriage is not an excusively christian thing, neither.

re: higher up on this page: there are plenty of straight couples who don't do that great a job of parenting, but they're usually allowed to keep and mess up their kids. Argument is invalid.

Last edited:

DownInFlames

Token Member
HSC
nikolas said:
Why oppose it though?
same reasons you might oppose anything. Your values, upbringing, own logical reasoning etc.
I have no arguments I will list here because people with no opinions and no evidence probably shouldn't spout what other people told them.

But really, not everything people think that's against the norm is because they're an awful, biggoted prick who has no capacity for free thinking. For example, people who are christians want to obey what God says, because this is a way of showing honour and respect, and because they respect his way of living as the best way to care for others and for themselves. This doesn't mean despising other people for opposing values that they hold.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
You are all idiots who don't listen. That is not a reason to allow gay people to have kids, it is a reason to not allow those people to have kids.
Give me one solid, scientifically proven research that says these kids will be disadvantaged in any way solely because of their parents sexual orientation and I might believe you.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Discussion over. I won this entire thread 2 pages ago.

Elect me as El Presidento and you guys can have the biggest, gayest weddings ever.

Only if I'm invited.

nikolas

HSC
You haven't answered my question.

DownInFlames said:
same reasons you might oppose anything. Your values, upbringing, own logical reasoning etc.
I have no arguments I will list here because people with no opinions and no evidence probably shouldn't spout what other people told them.

But really, not everything people think that's against the norm is because they're an awful, biggoted prick who has no capacity for free thinking. For example, people who are christians want to obey what God says, because this is a way of showing honour and respect, and because they respect his way of living as the best way to care for others and for themselves. This doesn't mean despising other people for opposing values that they hold.
You have only told me other people may have reasons why they oppose Homosexuality.

I'll ask it again, why do you oppose homosexuality?

E

Empyrean444

supercalamari said:
Give me one solid, scientifically proven research that says these kids will be disadvantaged in any way solely because of their parents sexual orientation and I might believe you.
It's not so much the parent's collective sexuality that will disadvantage a kid who is brought up in a "gay" family. It is more the fact that both parents are of the same gender. As we are all well aware, the role of the mother and the role of the father are in fact quite different in the raising of kids. It is the fact that, in a "gay" family, both parents will be of the same gender, meaning that the child will not receive both roles necessary for his/her maximum and best possible upbringing.

But, on that matter, i have no problem w/ homosexuality in general.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
What about father or mother figures who aren't neccesarily a bio mum or dad? I know this might sound like 'second best' but it works, it really does. Of course kids need family members of both gender. But giving up on parenting solely because you are both female is something I wouldn't do.

nikolas

HSC
Empyrean444 said:
It's not so much the parent's collective sexuality that will disadvantage a kid who is brought up in a "gay" family. It is more the fact that both parents are of the same gender. As we are all well aware, the role of the mother and the role of the father are in fact quite different in the raising of kids. It is the fact that, in a "gay" family, both parents will be of the same gender, meaning that the child will not receive both roles necessary for his/her maximum and best possible upbringing.

Children from Single mother families seem to grow up alright.

metalheaven

HSC
Empyrean444 said:

A good friend of mine can only ever remember living with their father (their mother passed away when they were a toddler) and she's turned out perfectly fine, in fact probably better than "fine".
I'm not discounting the fact that having both a mother and father figure can be quite beneficial for a child, but it does not mean that a child lacking a direct gender-based paternal link is going to be overtly disadvantaged in life compared to a child who was raised in a standard nuclear family.
And besides, the lack of a father/mother figure can often be compensated for to a degree by a family friend, or a close relative etc.

DownInFlames

Token Member
HSC
nikolas said:
You haven't answered my question.

You have only told me other people may have reasons why they oppose Homosexuality.

I'll ask it again, why do you oppose homosexuality?
If you read my posts thoroughly on the previous page and this page you'll notice that I didn't say that I oppose homosexuality, and I also specifically said that I wouldn't list any arguments here, because I choose not to.

I think there are passages in the bible/ info from other places relating to this, I haven't read them/found them and I'm unwilling to make an opinion on it based on what other people have spoonfed me, because that would be shit and irresponsible. I suppose that if I found that God does oppose homosexuality, I would hold it in the same light as having sex outside marriage: I don't hold other people to the same values I have, but I don't do it myself.

DownInFlames

Token Member
HSC
supercalamari said:
http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles/DaileyGayAdopt.php

I think the evidence is pretty slim going both ways. Do a research paper on it when you graduate, babe, and make it a good, objective one not biasing the data.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
DownInFlames said:
http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles/DaileyGayAdopt.php

I think the evidence is pretty slim going both ways. Do a research paper on it when you graduate, babe, and make it a good, objective one not biasing the data.
I did my PIP on social stigmas attached to single male foster parents, the majority of which are homosexual. I came across this argument a million times.

Data is small and often subjective bullshit, but what is there of worth indicates that gender and sexual orientation is not a hinderence to a parents ability to provide an environment for healthy child development.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
DownInFlames said:
can you post it up/ titles/anything?
I dont have the hard copy of my PIP on this pc, but I'll try and find the print out in my bedroom.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
DownInFlames said:
okies thanks =) I'd be interested to see what the research has to say.
My room looks like a bombs gone off
-.o

I'll post it next time Im in here on my lappy.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I will find a heap of credible articles dispelling the myth that homosexuals cannot rear children the same as heterosexuals.

All of the Bible bashing shit I've found to suggest otherwise is flawed. The crux of the issue is that Bible bashers seem to think that sexual orientation has an influence on a persons ability to raise a child or be a good parent. If anybody can produce credible, preferably peer reviewed articles on studies done to suggest that sexual orientation = inability to be a good parent, I'd like to see it. The other argument seems to be that Bible bashers insist growing up in a homosexual environment will lead the child to become more prone to being 'homosexual', perpetuating the idea that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice alone.

Anyway I'm off finding articles . right. naow.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Oh good! The left-wing intelligensia will settle this!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)