• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Homosexuality in Australia (5 Viewers)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
No there are not. Scientific source please.

"Show me why we should oppress the rights and freedoms of people that do nothing wrong by society without any credible risks to health, safety or society whatsoever. It is up to you to show me why we shouldn't do so."

"Show me why blacks and whites should be allowed to marry, it is up to you to demonstrate the benefits."

"Show me why homosexuality shouldn't be criminal, it is up to you to demonstrate the benefits."

No it isn't. Yours is the case that doesn't stand up to scientific reasoning.

I was aware of that site without googling it, and have been enjoying the articles it has to offer for about a year now. Please don't be a tool.

Might I add that since you quite clearly are not fully aware of what the Bible has to say, I am fairly certain that I am more familiar and knowledgeable about your fairytale than you are.

Well if you believe yourself to be enough of a mindless fuckwit that you need a 3000 year old book of fairytales to tell you what is right and wrong, be my guest, but don't foist that mindless ignorance of what the real world has to offer on the rest of us.
i hate it when athiest suggest christianity forces beliefs on others athiests although a smaller population are more forceful then all christians put together. we dont go around calling people stupid

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
i hate it when athiest suggest christianity forces beliefs on others athiests although a smaller population are more forceful then all christians put together. we dont go around calling people stupid
and i hate it when christians allow their beliefs to affect the laws which is meant to serve and protect society.

Edit: woman you ignored my post.

Durga

HSC
No, instead you refer to us as 'unenlightened,' which is essentially the same thing.

Name_Taken, most people do believe in a God, but this God is not the Judeo-Christian God.

Name_Taken

HSC
No, instead you refer to us as 'unenlightened,' which is essentially the same thing.
LOL

Mate, I appreciate you may hold some strong views on issues we discucss in NCAP, and you may feel I am hopelessly mistaken on many of these, but frankely just browse around these forums and take in all the personal attacks and outright threats perpetrated by athiests with some deluded justice complex.

Not that I'm here crying about it or anything, but double standards exist.

It would appear that the followers of the "biggoted, homophobic, hateful, bronze-age, genocidal, brainwashing etc etc" religion are capable of being more civil to one another, and to those they don't agree with than those who hypocritically condemn religion.

Name_Taken, most people do believe in a God, but this God is not the Judeo-Christian God.
Worshipping an idol is as bad as not believing.

Last edited:

Scorch

HSC
No, you guys don't call people stupid, merely stand in the way of progress and equality for people that are doing absolutely nothing wrong except according to your Holy Book, which is both scientifically and ethically wrong on many fronts, and call them and their actions unnatural and link them to drug use and other such pseudo-scientific bullshit.

Worshipping an idol is as bad as not believing
To be honest there are Gods out there with just as much evidence for their existence as yours that don't slaughter children and condone rape and such, like this Ahura-Mazda, to whom your God is closely related and was then made a lot nastier.

"biggoted, homophobic, hateful, bronze-age, genocidal, brainwashing etc etc" religion are capable of being more civil to one another
You said that an entire group of people with a different sexual preference to yours endangered society, raped kids, did drugs, beat their spouses and had a mental illness simply because your Bible says that God doesn't like it. This is a far more insulting and disgusting argument than argued by us.

As I said, God also says that if you take prisoners of war in battle, you must slaughter the entire male population and may take the women as sexual slaves. Why don't you try and get that legislated? God did say you should.

Durga

HSC
To be honest there are Gods out there with just as much evidence for their existence as yours that don't slaughter children and condone rape and such, like this Ahura-Mazda, to whom your God is closely related and was then made a lot nastier.

You said that an entire group of people with a different sexual preference to yours endangered society, raped kids, did drugs, beat their spouses and had a mental illness simply because your Bible says that God doesn't like it. This is a far more insulting and disgusting argument than argued by us.

As I said, God also says that if you take prisoners of war in battle, you must slaughter the entire male population and may take the women as sexual slaves. Why don't you try and get that legislated? God did say you should.
+1. Nothing more to really say... I find it funny that you (Name_Taken) have the Christian superiority complex - "No, but our God is the one true God!" (In high pitched whiney voice). There is a thread on RichardDawkins.net - The Official Richard Dawkins Website where they're counting up all the Gods mankind has ever created. The current figure is just under 5500...

boganxcore

HSC
ITT: scorch believes that his arts degree gives him scientific and theological superiority

lololol

Name_Taken

HSC
No, you guys don't call people stupid, merely stand in the way of progress and equality for people that are doing absolutely nothing wrong except according to your Holy Book, which is both scientifically and ethically wrong on many fronts, and call them and their actions unnatural and link them to drug use and other such pseudo-scientific bullshit.
What is the definition of natural then?

If it something observed in nature, and then following an appeal to nature, such "natural" behaviour should be treated as acceptable, then murder, rape cannibalism, infantcide etc etc are all common natural occurances.

Mate, you asked for studies, I gave you studies. Furthermore, you didn't provide studies of your own in the first place, or ones which countered the findings of the ones I posted. In other words I have substanciated my statements, and you haven't.

EDIT: Not to mention the fact I have put up with your total ignorance of my religion and numerous unjustified personal attacks.

I wouldn't think that would be the case, afterall all behaviours are equal aren't they?

That is not what repeated studies in all those areas are suggesting.

Your ignorance of Christianity might be forgiven if you weren't so up yourself and took such passages out of context and then then toted them of proof of your totally misguided worldview.

Its like saying, well in Australian law, it says that members of the armed forces are able to use lethal force in combat operations. Omg, that means Australian law legalises murder! What a horrible country, where people are allowed to kill each other, legally o_O

God told the Iraelistes to do those things, not me. An if you actually bothered reading the Bible you would know that those God commanded the Israelites to conquer were the scum of the Earth and merited their own destruction.

Last edited:

Durga

HSC

If it something observed in nature, and then following an appeal to nature, such "natural" behaviour should be treated as acceptable, then murder, rape cannibalism, infantcide etc etc are all common natural occurances.
Ahh, but those common natural occurances result in unnecessary and unjustified deaths. Homosexuality does not. The reason we are saying homosexuality is natural, is in response to you first stating that it is not.

Mate, you asked for studies, I gave you studies. Furthermore, you didn't provide studies of your own in the first place, or ones which countered the findings of the ones I posted. In other words I have substanciated my statements, and you haven't.

EDIT: Not to mention the fact I have put up with your total ignorance of my religion and numerous unjustified personal attacks.
Now, in response to those studies:

Promiscuity - who cares if homosexuals are more promiscuous? There is nothing wrong with being promiscuous outside of your religion.

Increased rate of STI's - proper birth control use can minimise the rate of STI's in gay men. As I said before and state here again, lesbians have less of a risk of STI's than heterosexual couples.

Mental Illness - wow! You came out of the Bronze Age! Although, unfortunately, you only landed in the 18th Century, the period were homosexuality was commonly thought to be a mental illness. Common scientific opinion now states that homosexuality is not a mental illness. Hypothetically, even if it were, as it does not harm anyone, why shouldn't the be allowed to practice it? It's like preventing autistic kids from studying together.

Subtance Abuse - Gay and lesbian youth bear an increased risk of suicide, substance abuse, school problems, and isolation because of a "hostile and condemning environment, verbal and physical abuse, rejection and isolation from family and peers" Gibson, P. (1989), "Gay and Lesbian Youth Suicide" Oh my, isn't that the exact cause that you're perpetrating here!? My gosh, your indirectly responsible! :O

Domestic Violence - You are right, homosexuals are more at risk than both heterosexual men and women, in relation to domestic violence. This could be helped and minimised with proper education about these issues, namely abolishing the stereotype that only women suffer from domestic abuse. Here is a quote and link to study on this topic. "To do so replicates the societal view that domestic violence isn't possible in gay and lesbian couples and serves to continue to deny the rights of gay and lesbian couples." - Domestic Violence in Gay and Lesbian Couples

Pedophilia - When I first saw this I laughed. The nerve you have to post such a thing, when you belong to the Catholic Church... I don't think this even warrants a response..

I wouldn't think that would be the case, afterall all behaviours are equal aren't they?

That is not what repeated studies in all those areas are suggesting.
Great strawman argument.... No one ever said all behaviours are equal, we're saying they need to be analysed with respect to the harm they cause to society. Homosexuality does minimal, if any harm.

Your ignorance of Christianity might be forgiven if you weren't so up yourself and took such passages out of context and then then toted them of proof of your totally misguided worldview.

Its like saying, well in Australian law, it says that members of the armed forces are able to use lethal force in combat operations. Omg, that means Australian law legalises murder! What a horrible country, where people are allowed to kill each other, legally o_O

God told the Iraelistes to do those things, not me. An if you actually bothered reading the Bible you would know that those God commanded the Israelites to conquer were the scum of the Earth and merited their own destruction.
Are you by chance in favour of the death sentence? Torture? Rape for the crime of living in a land that was promised to someone else by their sky man (and you had no idea of this)? Is the murder and rape of innocent men, women and children warranted by the fact that these people were 'the scum of the Earth?' Could you please explain firstly why they are the scum of the Earth, and secondly why that would warrant the murdering and raping of them (and their innocent, albeit scum-like animals)?

Last edited:

nikolas

HSC
You define it, you guys are the ones throwing the term about. I personally hold the word to be meaningless in the context.

How convenient, that when he uses an appeal to nature it is wrong, but, when you do the same...

I see it as a valid point.

Scorch

HSC
ITT: scorch believes that his arts degree gives him scientific and theological superiority

lololol
Well actually my position as a human being that was given a rational mind and my conscious choice to evaluate the evidence, rather than being a slave to a sadistic, invisible man gives me a proper understanding of the real world, as opposed to fantasies and fairytales.

Not much more to say really, Durga covered it all.

I asked for credible, scientific studies, you gave me outdated studies that are poorly researched and poorly compiled, which is the reason that the scientific community regards your ideas as utter bullshit.

I am not ignorant in the slightest about your religion. I actually know more about it than you, having read your arguments about the Bible.

Titburger

HSC
Man I love it when Christians use the 'Out of Context' Card. It seems to solve all their problems.

NewiJapper

HSC
Titburger said:
Man I love it when Christians use the 'Out of Context' Card. It seems to solve all their problems.
Seems to be one of the only cards they use these days...

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
[youtube] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pup-0dBhRsc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pup-0dBhRsc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)