Homosexuality in Australia (2 Viewers)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

hsb39

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Language isn't static. It can and should evolve to reflect the values of a changing society. Heck, I can't resist calling it; fallacious appeal to authority.

Also the definition in a dictionary need not determine what the word means for legal purposes. Since when did the Oxford Dictionary supersede the parliament as the peak law making body in Australia?
I would say that the definition is descrimination rather than the dictionary. I'm not really pointing any fingers at the Oxford Dictionary people (whoever they are).

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Language isn't static. It can and should evolve to reflect the values of a changing society. Heck, I can't resist calling it; fallacious appeal to authority.

Also the definition in a dictionary need not determine what the word means for legal purposes. Since when did the Oxford Dictionary supersede the parliament as the peak law making body in Australia?
I once saw a pastor stand up raging about gay people, and as part of his argument he held up a dictionary and madly pointed to it. It was heaps funny :p

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
lebo accent/

shut up yulleh. allah will kill you if you screw the boys. wallllllah bro.

hsb39

HSC
supercalamari said:
I once saw a pastor stand up raging about gay people, and as part of his argument he held up a dictionary and madly pointed to it. It was heaps funny :p
I love how people try to make the homosexuality argument into something that can be answered in a book.

hsb39

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Sorry my bad - I know this wasnt you but someone was claiming that catholicism was a cult based on the Oxford English Dictionary so yeah my bad. this definition is also similar to the definition in the Macquarie Dictionary (2005) the International Standard Dictionary of the English Language (2000) and Collins Cobuild English Learners Dictionary (1994) which also implies that the marriage should be between a man and a woman.

Using the Marriage Act for definitional purposes only:
"marriage" means the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.
MARRIAGE ACT 1961 http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ma196185/s5.html

Sorry I phrased that wrongly. What I meant to say is that by definition its suppose to be for a man and a woman. I wouldnt consider it as discrimination. Using the Discrimination Act for definitional purposes only the the general idea is that it is not considered discrimination if the grounds of the discrimination directly impact the nature of the activity e.g. it is not considered discrimination if a person does who cannot walk be denied a job which requires carrying heavy objects from one place to another just like it is not considered discrimination if universities deny access to those who have mental retardation (NSW Anti Discrimination Act 1977). Based on similar principles, same sex marriage would directly affect the nature of the activity because it is defined for the exclusiveness of man and woman and hence it should not be considered as discrimination.
I think that it is a little bit more like not letting not letting a person without legs work at a desk job. There is no reason why that person without legs do that over a person with legs, and I believe that something similar applies with marriage. (Although that metaphor there isn't my argument so much as explaining my point... I hate metaphorical arguments.)

hsb39

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Yeah I understand that that would be considered discrimination as it does not affect the nature of the activity but same sex marriage does interfere with the nature of marriage because by definition it is suppose to be between a man and a woman hence isnt discrimination.
When they made marriage about love rather than politics they interfered with the nature of marriage and I surely don't disagree with love based marriage.

~Songbird~

HSC
Gay marriage isn't allowed because the government found a legal loophole in our constituion i.e. the wording that mariage is between a man and a woman. The reason for this is clearly seen in the above poll, there are still some people in the community who believe homosexuality is wrong. Hence, so as not to cause a stir, the government wormed its way out of the problem by citing this tiny bit of the constitution.
I agree wit Nikolas, there is nothing wrong with homosexuality, but unfortunately there are some people who still think there is.

nikolas

HSC
~Songbird~ said:
Gay marriage isn't allowed because the government found a legal loophole in our constituion i.e. the wording that mariage is between a man and a woman. The reason for this is clearly seen in the above poll, there are still some people in the community who believe homosexuality is wrong. Hence, so as not to cause a stir, the government wormed its way out of the problem by citing this tiny bit of the constitution.
I agree wit Nikolas, there is nothing wrong with homosexuality, but unfortunately there are some people who still think there is.
Id still like someone who thinks its wrong to tell me why.

Last edited:

dumarab

HSC
i hope they legalise this and not legalise polygamy.... just to piss of the muslims

:D

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Yeah I understand that that would be considered discrimination as it does not affect the nature of the activity but same sex marriage does interfere with the nature of marriage because by definition it is suppose to be between a man and a woman hence isnt discrimination.
How does the love I have for a woman interfere with anyone's marriage? How does the life I build with the person I love harm society? How does it directly affect you or your life?

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
supercalamari said:
How does the love I have for a woman interfere with anyone's marriage? How does the life I build with the person I love harm society? How does it directly affect you or your life?
CHAOS THEORY !!!!!!!

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
How does it affect the nature of the uni, or marriage or whatever? You mean it makes it more inclusive? That can only be a good thing.

@ Silver Persian: I have all five seasons on dvd and am constantly rewatching them... :)

nikolas

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
the dictionary usually has pretty accurate definitions... and it isnt just one dictionary i relied on... but to answer your question the state, the law, the church...

Love is the main reason why people get married but marriage has always been a social institution even back in Ancient Rome.

Nothing!
So why not allow Gay marriage?

Freakin600

HSC
sup
i'm catholic but i think the whole 'being gay is a sin' or whatever is just ridiculous

like how they'll allow singles to adopt children, but not gay couples. How does that make sense? Theoretically would you not assume that 2 people, despite their sexual orientation, can give a child more care + love etc etc than one person?

So why don't they just allow it?!? -idiots-

I'm sure there are many gay couples that would be much better than other parents

X

xeuyrawp

zimmerman8k said:
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
the dictionary usually has pretty accurate definitions... and it isnt just one dictionary i relied on... but to answer your question the state, the law, the church...
Please read why this is a pathetic argument. I am too sickened to post my own explaination:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_authority
Fucking lol. You're arguing with someone who thinks that social norms come from a dictionary.

Freakin600

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Who says its "suppose to be between a man and a woman" other than the writers of a dictionary?

Marriage Act 1961 [nsw] - for a marriage ceremony to be valid then the parties must be a man and a woman at the date of marriage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)