How are the scriptwriters MW's going? (1 Viewer)

monique66

phew...that was majorly lucky...i have like 3 copies of it circulaing at one time 2 on either of my computers and one hard copy that i paste into my jounal to fatten it up :p

oh btw be careful with some software for writing scripts because it won't let you copy and paste so test it out first...(trust me the night before i handed my script in for a yr10 long-term writing piece i discovered that the damned thing wouldn't copy into a word document- needless to say i got my dad to type it up :))

robo3687

Tired
HSC
ok well my script is just starting to come together...i love my story that i have...required almost no research and it just came to me one night (which was very handy)

but i do have one question....for screenplays, does the BOS expect a spec script or a shooting script?

Pointy Ears

HSC
ummm, well my teacher whose an ext 2 marker said something along the lines of writing it as a production script- as though it was to be shot, so yea, a shooting/production script.

monique66

AHHHH!!!!
Shooting scripts suck, spec scripts are much better :)
Btw guys, can we footnote things?
Oh well...i think i need to...

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
I don't know if we can foot-note things... I was originally going to, just to make sure theyt knew I wasn't plagiarising, but then I thought 'fuck it'. And didn't. I'd avoid them for the sake of keeping the script pretty.

monique66

But mine is not set in a contemporary time so i need to add them to help let the markers understand the slang. Hey if the shortstoriers can use it then so can i! :D

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
I know what you mean about the short stories... maybe there is a better way of esplaining the slang. What would be like ultra-cool, 50/50 stuff, would be to make the slangs meaning clear by it's context, so it's like the reader learns about the characters world... you know what I mean? Or could you have a glossary at the end of the damn thing... or at the start? I don't know, do what you have to. these are just some ideas.

monique66

Hmmm...but i also want to footnot things that are no exactly slang, eg. a character is reading the bible and i want to footnote the section that he is reading for the markers to see how subtle hints can create meaning...

i think i'll have to talk to my teacher about it. I don't want to spend too much time explaining it in the context or it'll look unnatural if you get what i mean?

monique66

Haven't asked yet, i'll wait till tuesday

Btw, if anybody is using final draft 7 do you know how to create a split screen where i can have simultaneous dialogue and action? its annoying me cause i don't know how to create a table in the program!

robo3687

Tired
HSC
all u need to do is click format then click dual dialogue

:)

also is it absolutely mandatory that we submit this in Arial or TNR? because i really don't want to...i'm loving my courier font...

plus they tell us to format it correctly and having it with courier is correct....

also i was in the video talk at the newtown study day and we were told we could leave our scripts in courier.....so who knows?

Pointy Ears

HSC
Gee, if we could just leave it in courier, that would save a lot of time having to convert it...damn, I'm tempted to leave it in that font now :S
But then again, i dont reckon we should risk it, i mean the syllabus does state that it must be in TNR or Arial font, and then, they want that whole double spacing thing as well...

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
courier is like type-writer font, right? I certainly wouldn't hand my major work in with courier. Why would one want to? (directed especially to robo3687)

EDIT: After looking at my major work in courier font, I got to admit it looks sort of cool! Authentic? Like you've been slaving day-and-night on a retro typewriter! I think it's a little hard to read, which may be the reason why BOS don't allow it.

Last edited:

Pointy Ears

HSC
Yea, and i cbf converting the font with the strict program that im using.
Anyways, have you guys already handed in your report? Cos mines due on thursday, and I'm having trouuble outlining how my research has influenced the realisation of my MW. I mean, since its a story, I've gotten most of my ideas just by...thinking? Its a bit hard to pinpoint how 'thinking' would count as resaerch...does anyone else have that problem?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
bassically, you have to bull-shit and exagurate the extent to which your extensive investigation has shaped your MW... Mine is due to tommorow

robo3687

Tired
HSC
my report was due like 5 weeks ago...lol...

but as for why i would want to leave it in courier, its because they tell you to research the form of a script, and they tell you to format it correctly, and there are bad marks for bad formatting....

and you look on every website and its says to use courier....and theres a reason for that...its a monospaced font meaning every character takes up the same amount of space which lends itself to the script standard of 1 page = 1 minute of performance time

so yeh...its a formatting thing mostly....plus i like how it looks and i don't want to have to change it to Arial or TNR cos it stuffs up the spacing...

gorgo31

HSC
I really, really don't think it matters.

If you take a look at the syllabus, it says the Times New Roman Size 12 Font for every written text-type, but honestly, how many post-modern stories and poetry compilations actually stick to that?

I think it is fair to assume the same goes with scripts and screenplays. Use whatever font / formatting you like, as long as it doesn't impede with the marker's ability to read it.

Pointy Ears

HSC
Hmmm, so how are you guys going?
Finished a few satisfactory drafts?
Finished editing?
Or are you like me and have your trials up now and therefore, don't have the time to concentrate on it as much as you had hoped?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Yeah, finished a pretty solid final (my 4th) draft. Tweaking and general making-more-funny is required but I'm happy with my work as it stands. I mean, I'm a little bored of it, but hopefully the examiners get a surprise! The trials will get in the way, but I'll find a few hours to do some good hard work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)