How are you tested in the HSC for creative writing? (1 Viewer)

nerd_2b

HSC
How do they test you in the HSC for your creative writing? Do you HAVE to use tough, sophisticated good-looking phrases and words to find yourself at the top of standard english? Or can you use simple language to get good marks? What do they test you on???

This is my piece, I Haven't finished it yet. What would I get for this and why?

My heart away from home

“British Airways, flight 321.” I heard my final call to board the flight. The time has come to leave Sydney forever.
“Ok Julia. That’s my call. It was nice talking to you. I would try to see you in the flight and we could talk about our Economics course, what say?”
She laughed, “Now here’s an example of a fine Chief Economist! Sure, no problem, see you later.”

Proudly walking up to the flight attendant, I gave him my boarding pass for verification. I worked so hard for this, and it was due to my HSC success that I was here in the first place with Julia, the state topper in Economics. I was so excited to enter a new beginning in my life, however I was reluctant to let go of my previous life. Leaving Sydney was the most emotional moment of my life; leaving my family, Australian friends and my hometown; which I had never left in my long 19 years of life.

I marched past the departure gate as if I was on my mission to change my life forever. I felt a chill down my spine as I passed the cold air outside the door of the airplane. I had never traveled on an airplane; this was my first time. I was unsure of why I was suddenly hit with fear, but somehow managed to walk myself inside.
A tall male air-hostess recognized my seat number and directed me to the left, where I made my way through. Seat 6C was where I sat; coloured pale-yellow with a food tray, widescreen television and sufficient leg room. The beauties of being in first class made me feel like a Chief Economist already. I quickly got off my seat to see what was going on at the back, observed the flow of passengers along the aisles of the airplane to their seats in the airplane and a man and woman with two kids fighting for the window seat. Also, a bunch of businessmen sat beside me, looking preoccupied into their laptops and listening to music. I confronted one of them with a welcoming and friendly smile. “Hi, nice to meet you. My name is Robert.”
“Hi Robert,” was all I heard from him. He seemed uninterested. Perhaps his earphone was a barrier between us. I no longer seemed to care.

The passengers slowly began to settle down. No one seemed to pay much attention to me and there I was in my seat, terribly afraid of the take off. This was how I felt when literally in the flight.
I always used to think that the airplane was one place which evoked most of my emotions; fear for the flight’s movement, anxiety to meet new people and a new environment, and sadness knowingly I had to leave Sydney for my dream job.

Suddenly, I heard the door shut behind me. A sense of fear invaded my mind and for a moment, I could imagine the seatbelt losing grip to my body. I held on tight and listened to the safety instructions given in front of me. I didn’t know what made my heart panic the most; the intense search for my very own oxygen mask or the fact that I felt unprepared to travel in this flight. Hearing the roaring sound of the engines, I assumed that the place was set for takeoff. The movement of the plane jolted me back on my seat and taxied along to the runway.
The ride seemed smooth and I managed to hold back my fear in an attempt to enjoy this ride. For a moment,

Brontecat

HSC
well written, however it does look suspiciously similar to a story that can be found in the resource area of this website. If it is based on that i would suggest trying to come up with your own original storyline, perhaps based on you life experiences, (as seen in the last paragraph of the markers notes)

these notes may be helpful - they're the markers notes from the 2007 creative writing section of the exam as found on BOS

Section II
Question 2
Candidates used one of the quotations as a central idea in a variety of ways, for example implicitly, as a trigger, explicitly or as an integrated part of their response. A broad range of responses to the question was presented.

Better responses explored the experiences a journey may hold in a form appropriate to audience, purpose and context. They demonstrated structural complexity, cohesion, the use of an authentic, sustained and engaging voice and took advantage of the opportunity the question presented to showcase originality and perceptiveness. The mechanics of language, punctuation, sentence structure and paragraphing were applied skilfully in these responses.

Average responses tended to be recounts of journeys with some literal exploration of the experiences a journey may hold. While complete, they were often linear and predictable.

Weaker responses tended to lack structural direction, be simplistic, clichéd and/or lack a consistent voice. Flawed mechanics tended to impede the exploration of the experiences a journey may hold.

Some candidates were found to have reproduced, without acknowledgement, a substantial amount of sourced work, borrowing storyline, structure and/or language. These responses were regarded as limited in their appropriateness and received marks only for the parts of the response that were original. Candidates are reminded that responses must satisfy the requirements of the BOS ‘All Your Own Work’ policy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)