How belonging related is this? (1 Viewer)

hayabusaboston

HSC
Hey dude,

Yeah, love-based stories are cliché; avoid them because they are, by definition, not creative.

If your stimulus is the poem I'm thinking, 'Rain From Nowhere' by Murray Hartin, you should adapt what it says about belonging.

I have just read the poem and the one thing I got from it was belonging to family.

Unfortunately, that's another HSC grey area; stories like that are quite cliché.

If you're out of ideas, turn it on its head. Someone who lives in the city who just wants a break and feels like they don't belong to family.

Remember, belonging is a multi-layered concept and you can use whatever you want from it. :)

All the best :)
PM if you need any further guidance. :)
ABsolutezeroes suggestions, I have incorporated them.
And LoveHateSchool, I dont struggle with creative writing, I find it pretty easy, I just despise the fact that people label pretty much EVERYTHING as "OMG THATS SO CLICHE!" and sometimes I feel like saying FUCK YOU its not cliche. Im writing a crime thriller novel. From the genre you can already say OMG THATS SO CLICHE cant you? well maybe no, maybe my novel is going to be unique and special.Sigh.

First five chapters of my book are on the bottom of this page, from my website:
http://hayabusaboston.weebly.com/poetry.

Ive written 360 pages or something, now have HSC so will finish book afterwards. Tell me if what I write in those five chapters is "too cliche". I need to know. So I can rewrite and make it more original.

oh and thanks for your suggestions too Chris, they were helpful as well :)

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
ABsolutezeroes suggestions, I have incorporated them.
And LoveHateSchool, I dont struggle with creative writing, I find it pretty easy, I just despise the fact that people label pretty much EVERYTHING as "OMG THATS SO CLICHE!" and sometimes I feel like saying FUCK YOU its not cliche. Im writing a crime thriller novel. From the genre you can already say OMG THATS SO CLICHE cant you? well maybe no, maybe my novel is going to be unique and special.Sigh.

First five chapters of my book are on the bottom of this page, from my website:
http://hayabusaboston.weebly.com/poetry.

Ive written 360 pages or something, now have HSC so will finish book afterwards. Tell me if what I write in those five chapters is "too cliche". I need to know. So I can rewrite and make it more original.

oh and thanks for your suggestions too Chris, they were helpful as well :)
A crime thriller novel could be great, it's not the genre that makes something cliche. I am just telling you this creative story is cliche, Harper Lee couldn't pull it off.

So if you have fantastic creative writing skills, are your essay skills pulling your English mark down?

If you're going to be a published author, HSC English should be a walk in the park.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)