How can i write faster in exams? (1 Viewer)

scora

HSC
forget pen-weights(i.e. the battery taped onto pen), you will get too used to writing with the battery attached that when you finally get to ur assessment and think "hey I should take this battery off coz it'll be lighter than before, meaning i can write faster" and do that, you'll be thinking about how awkward the pen feels in your hand and you'll probably tire your hand out even more.

life92

HSC
OMGAR OVERPOWERED. by 1.4 i mean 1.4k words. thats it by bio/eng class bluding too much, gna try max out my writing speed now xD
lol
Yes 220 words in 5 mins is crazy...
They would finish 2 essays in like 1 hour, or just write LOTS for each essay o_o.
I remember one girl wrote like her 3 essays in 1.5 hours for the trial (for paper 2) and before the test I was asking how long each of her essays were, and they were crazy long...
And when she finished in the exam, she started stapling and everyone turned around and was like WTH O_O...

But anyway, more content = more places to gain marks.. or quite possibly to lose marks.
So basically, if you can write a really good essay but don't have a good writing speed, don't worry about it too much. It'll just be a plus if you can write more.

So it doesn't REALLY matter how much you can write, as long as its reasonable.
Being able to write 1250 words in 40 mins is (what I think) you should be aiming for.
You should make your essay around 1000-1100, and then change your essay (semi-planned of course) in the exam which should bring it up to around 1200.

But yeah, seriously, just practise as much as you can, especially over holidays if you don't have anything better to do.

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
dont fall into the trap of believing more pages = better essay. Firstly you might have smaller writing so kids handing in twice the pages with twice the sized writing will infact equal your content. Secondly wriitng fast induces panic, less thought out ideas and messy uncohesive paragraphs. In my HSC the essay i felt most confident about leaving the exam room was the one that was the least amound of pages (4 with small writing) becuase i knew it was the most organised and planned for.

One tip i will give you, spend a few minutes before writing to plan para1 , para 2 etc with what topic each will be about what techniques etc you will use then use arrows to link idea in each paragraph so you know the ideas flow so you can discuss each idea with reference to each text. Once you have a plan believe me the idea and paragraph will flow much more nicely and you wont have to stop to remember what you wanted to talk about next. (plus my teachers tell me that markers froth over plans).

in short in exams slow down and PLAN your essay and take time to read each paragraph you'll be surprised at all the silly mistakes you make when you rush.

PenguinOfDeath

HSC
practise writing a generic version of the essay over and over. also practise writing all the different variations of the essay that you/your teacher say are likely to come up in an exam. the more you practise writing it, the faster you'll get.
it also helps (especially in english, where you dont know exactly what variation of the question you'll receive) you memorise the key points you want to make, so all you have to do is adjust them slightly in an exam situation, instead of trying to figure out what to write from scratch. if its memorised, it'll come out a lot faster than if you're making it up as you go.

CecilyMare

HSC
actually just write all your essays on paper instead of computer, starting from prelims. I tend to suck at writing on paper because on the computer i can often go back and edit stuff, and idk it just lets me construct messy sentences and then i can take my time to edit it, as well as insert other ideas before others.

practicising writing all essays on paper not only allows to you increase your writing speed, you might even learn to sprout out far more effective sentences in a flow!

ilikebeeef

HSC
Find a pen that suits you and glides to your liking. Sometimes having a really smooth pen is good, but not everyone can write well with a smooth pen.
Smooth pen is good for cursive writing. Scratchy pen is good for printing.

Also, you need to realize that everyone writes different sizes, so some people write really big whilst others write fairly small.
I find that if you write big, to a certain degree, you have momentum (lol) and its easier to go faster, whereas if you write smaller, it sortof restricts the movement of your arm and so you can't write as fast.
It's the other way around actually. Writing fast MAKES you write big.

maybe lose some weight so some fat can drop off your hand and make it lighter, you know
Lol. How about gaining muscle?

Razor009

HSC
Leme Tell u Something D.................Donot bend ur head down stay straight to write faster ....Dont panic and hold ur pen losely......and just practice ......In THIS WAY I MANGE TO WRITE THREE SHEETS IN 10
MINS ONLY >>>>>>TAKE THE ADVICE N WORk

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
This tip has worked for me in my assessment tasks: Tape an eraser or something heavy when you are practicing for your exam this will allow you to practice with a heavier pen and when it comes to your exam take it off. Sounds silly, I know, but when it comes to exams you'll be able to write really fast.

Wonder

HSC
Have you tried writing slightly slanted? I find that I write faster that way.

hasdhil

HSC
Practice makes a difference, try to write everything you do so that your hand gets used to it and it doesn't come as a shock when you do actually write in an exam. Knowing your content helps with writer faster because you don't have to think for a long time about what to write, you just go into the exam ready to write since you know everything. I know that obviously you won't know what the essay will be about but just semi-plan you reponses from before. A good way to know if you are improving your writing speed is by simply just a set amount of time on the watch, like 40 mins, and writing an essay and then at the end of the set time count how many you wrote and so next time set that as a minimum and work from there. Last tip, make sure to have your hand relaxed when writing because when your hands get tensed it slows you down, it's happened to me a couple of times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)