• We have a few events lined up for the October school holidays!
    Watch this space...

How did you find the chem exam? (1 Viewer)

What do you think you would get as a raw mark?

  • 90%-100%

    Votes: 31 19.0%
  • 80%-90%

    Votes: 47 28.8%
  • 70%-80%

    Votes: 38 23.3%
  • 60%-70%

    Votes: 21 12.9%
  • 50%-60%

    Votes: 12 7.4%
  • 50% and lower

    Votes: 14 8.6%

  • Total voters
    163
  • Poll closed .

jackandmilo

New Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2007
Messages
8
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
Was it easy? moderate? or hard?

What do you think the state's average would be? :confused:
 

Fish Sauce

Active Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
1,053
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
I think at best I'm looking at between 50 and 70.

At worst... I don't even want to think about at worst.
 

amyg238

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2007
Messages
104
Location
Korova milkbar
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
I'm feeling around 80.

I felt really bad for the trials and ended up with 84, which i was really happy with.
 
Last edited:

Fish Sauce

Active Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
1,053
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
Forbidden. said:
I found out the amount of mistakes I made multiplied like what happens two bunnies of opposite gender are placed in a cave together.


?
 

emilymcs

New Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
14
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
horrible. i'll be so happy with 70%.

does anybody know how the scaling works for these exams? if everybody found it hard, do they scale the marks up?
 

andyland

New Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2006
Messages
2
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
emilymcs said:
horrible. i'll be so happy with 70%.

does anybody know how the scaling works for these exams? if everybody found it hard, do they scale the marks up?
yes they do - they never tell you what you got for your raw mark - only a moderated one. they take all the marks and apply them to a bell curve so that there is equal distribution of marks in every subject.

as for the exam - i did find it alot harder then past papers - im expecting a 6 % raw mark drop - hopfully other people found this also haha.
 

cuffed

New Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2007
Messages
3
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
I thought it was alright.
I was angry how everyone thing was bs - impact on society and the environment etc etc. and that I had memorised all these equations and all those stupid water tests for nothing ;___;
I think I got a lot of stuff wrong though </3
the calculations were tricky :/
 

tmde1st

New Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
26
Location
south coast
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
It wasnt that bad. i think i screwed up the chlorine q a bit, but apart from that, it was easier that other exams ive done.
 

Forbidden.

Banned
Joined
Feb 28, 2006
Messages
4,442
Location
Deep trenches of burning HELL
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
Feel free to use this:



tmde1st said:
It wasnt that bad. i think i screwed up the chlorine q a bit, but apart from that, it was easier that other exams ive done.
Yeah, I ended up getting 73,000 ppm of Chlorine ion concentration when in fact sea water has a concentration of about 35,000 ppm.
 
Last edited:

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
1,894
Location
Port Macquarie / Canberra
Gender
Male
HSC
2009
I found it alright. A few questions, notably the Shipwrecks option topic one about the evolution of metals used in shipbuilding as a result of different marine environments, I found quite ambiguous and just had a guess.

I don't remember how to do ppm, but I got somewhere around 70,000+ ppm for the chlorine question IIRC.

Other than that it was OK, some equations etc. I just guessed as I couldn't remember, but it was nice that the big 7-marker was on radioisotopes, which is a topic I'm quite good at.

I'm thinking I may get a raw mark in the 70s, 80s would be nice but unlikely, but I'd love it if everyone found it hard so I get scaled up to 90 or something.
 

simonelye

Simone.
Joined
Mar 18, 2006
Messages
38
Location
Port Macquarie
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
Horrible.
I went shockingly.
I wish no body ever saw my exam paper, let alone marked it.
lol
It was a disgrace.
Itll be 50-60maybe.
Oh well.
no more chem everr.
 

Wooz

^wooz*y^
Joined
Aug 14, 2005
Messages
2,478
Location
Campbelltown
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
Forbidden. said:
If it is then it looks so easy to get Band 6.
Band 6 is prob going to be around 82-83% raw as you are marked according to a marking criteria(one day of pilot marking is carried about before the chem marking begins, thus they setup the marking criteria set against the avg responses of each band mark) for harder questions 3-4 marks+ calculations require a certain amount of working, zero for no working and correct answer. Top chem marks is prob around 96% raw.

The markers in the hsc are going to heavily scrutinize your answers, against a marking criteria, it's not that easy to get a band 6.
 
Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
Joined
Feb 28, 2006
Messages
4,442
Location
Deep trenches of burning HELL
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
Wooz said:
Band 6 is prob going to be around 82-83% raw as you are marked according to a marking criteria(one day of pilot marking is carried about before the chem marking begins, thus they setup the marking criteria set against the avg responses of each band mark) for harder questions 3-4 marks+ calculations require a certain amount of working, zero for no working and correct answer. Top chem marks is prob around 96% raw.

The markers in the hsc are going to heavily scrutinize your answers, against a marking criteria, it's not that easy to get a band 6.
So much for teachers saying "Markers are looking at trying to give you marks."
 

mikietom

New Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
5
Gender
Female
HSC
2007
Forbidden. said:
Yeah, I ended up getting 73,000 ppm of Chlorine ion concentration when in fact sea water has a concentration of about 35,000 ppm.

lol u got that high i got like 5
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top