How did you know (for sure) that your course is the one you want to do?? (1 Viewer)

Brontecat

HSC
So basically I got my ATAR which was a lot higher than I expected (I had plans for getting an ATAR of 60 and then a secondary plan in case i got over 60 but below 70), 87.60 which isn't a lot by this forums standards but i was so stoked.

Anyways my question is has anyone actually rethought the course they're doing after getting their ATAR?? I was going to do teaching but now I don't know.

p.s. How did you know for sure that the course you've chosen is what you want to do??

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
ATAR opens options for you, but don't do a course JUST because you got the ATAR for it.

I know miserable people doing shit courses just because they got the ATAR/UAI

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
A lot of students who have no idea what they want to do will take an Arts course. They allow you to do whatever courses you want to do with the degree and you can of course transfer to a degree that you want to do later on (with credit points, and good marks of course).

Brontecat

HSC
@Tommykins: I'm so afraid of doing that or picking the wrong course because I haven't considered anything higher than about 70 :/

@Aquawhite: What course were you aiming for??

p.s. I was originally looking into Education (primary OR secondary), radiography - with the potential to do post-grad sonography and speech pathology; but mostly education

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
@Tommykins: I'm so afraid of doing that or picking the wrong course because I haven't considered anything higher than about 70 :/
Look into the course structure/ask people about the courses then. There is no shame in sticking to education if thats' what you really want.

Girl at my school got 99.95 uai and is doing arts.

ar7

HSC

p.s. I was originally looking into Education (primary OR secondary), radiography - with the potential to do post-grad sonography and speech pathology; but mostly education
y shuld u change courses after having ur heart set on that course all yr, simply bcoz u achieved better than expected? if nything, u can choose any uni u prefer to do that course or u myt considering applying for teaching scholarships... just a thoguht

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I met a girl who got 99, and she's doing secondary teaching in English. She was so passionate about teaching, and I really admired that.

Don't be afraid to follow your dreams.

:)

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC

If Teaching is what you want to do, do it. Don't think that because you've gotten a higher ATAR that you must do something that requires it. Go with what you want to do and what you'll be happy with.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
You won't really know for sure until you actually DO the course, so many people completely change direction in the first few years of uni because their degree/discipline isn't what they expected. The most important thing is to get into the university system, once you're in you have plenty of options available if it turns out education isn't for you. Don't feel like this is your only chance to get your uni options absolutely 100% perfect, the system is pretty flexible providing your grades aren't dribble.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
You won't really know for sure until you actually DO the course, so many people completely change direction in the first few years of uni because their degree/discipline isn't what they expected. The most important thing is to get into the university system, once you're in you have plenty of options available if it turns out education isn't for you. Don't feel like this is your only chance to get your uni options absolutely 100% perfect, the system is pretty flexible providing your grades aren't dribble.
+1

Just do the course you want. Don't do a course with a higher ATAR cut off just because you can - chances are you will be miserable if you do that.

m.jakaran

HSC
Sorry about dot points but this is pretty much how I did it. Saying that...you'll never really be able to know for sure 100% until you actually start working I guess.

-Work Experience
-Talking to people in that profession
-Talking to uni students
-Think about what subjects you do at school, and which ones you enjoy more than others and why

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)