• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How did your maths 1/2 yearly go? (1 Viewer)

switchblade87

HSC
Bad result

My test sucked big juicy testicles..for me anyway. The test was 3hrs long, worth 30%, and I got 44/120 (37%). It was so hard, I knew I had failed when I walked out; Maths was the only half yearly I failed. Its a considerable drop considering I had 55/60 for the first assessment, which was only worth 10%.

Topics in this half yearly included:
PRELIM {30% composition in test}
Basic Arithmetic
Algebra and Surds
Equations
Geometry
Functions and graphs
Trigonometry
Straight-line graphs
Intro to Calculus
Probability

HSC {70% composition in test}
Geometricall applications of calculus
The Quadratic function
Integration
Locus & the parabola
Series

Ah well, still 60% of the course to be tested on... :p

get_born

is it possible if youve failed every assement in maths so far, and still do ok?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
last_chance said:
is it possible if youve failed every assement in maths so far, and still do ok?
yes of course... by now most ppl wouldn't have yet completed 50% of their maths assessments.. leaving u with over another 50% to do well in..

if u've failed from the 100% internal ... then u still have a chance to proove urself in the final HSC exam...

just linking everything up with ur username... ur 'last chance' to pull up ur mark is the HSC... but until then try and improve on all ur upcoming assessments..

speaking of assessments i better get back to revising for my 20% maths exam tmrw...

get_born

physician said:
yes of course... by now most ppl wouldn't have yet completed 50% of their maths assessments.. leaving u with over another 50% to do well in..

if u've failed from the 100% internal ... then u still have a chance to proove urself in the final HSC exam...

just linking everything up with ur username... ur 'last chance' to pull up ur mark is the HSC... but until then try and improve on all ur upcoming assessments..

speaking of assessments i better get back to revising for my 20% maths exam tmrw...
im well aware that there's a chance...(after being told a billion and one times). However, the bottom line is no matter how hard i try nothing ever seems to go right. Does that mean maths is a talent? Or is it something you gotta work at hard?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
last_chance said:
im well aware that there's a chance...(after being told a billion and one times). However, the bottom line is no matter how hard i try nothing ever seems to go right. Does that mean maths is a talent? Or is it something you gotta work at hard?
maths is like any other subject... u obviously need to work hard to achieve... the thing about maths is that usually it's principles accumulate over the years.... so if ur basics are weak then it's gonna be quite difficult grasping year 12 concepts....

For some i must admit maths comes as a talent... u have year 8 kids doing the HSC for maths... umm yeh i think that can be classed as a talent/gift

but more generally... NO maths is not naturally a talent (it can become a talent with hard work and dedication)... maths takes sleepless nights to perfect .. well for me anyways... maths is a subject that requires patience and perseverance... But if ur really struggling at maths... then if u havn't allready done so.. i suggest u get a tutour as soon as possible.. there's no shame in having a tutour... even once a week will help out...

maybe we can help out with ur study techniques... i know my study technique stuffed me up in chemistry.. i spent endless hours studying.. but in reality nothing was going through my thick skull... which eventually led to cramming the night before my exam which eventually led to a bad mark...

oh yeh and most importantly.. even if u've studied ur head off... sometimes ur psychological preperation may lack... the wekend before my maths exam on friday i made sure i knew all the maths content .. and i spent the rest of the week from monday to friday preparing myself psychlogically with a little revision of course... however if i go into an exam scared... frightened.. pressured.. wateva.. i'd probably stuff up...

u probably allready know this but it's good to be reminded every now and then...

corbs18

yeah i was happy with mine as i hav been going shit in all mine since year 11. since yr 12, my 1st assessment i got 55% then my second one i got equal 1st place on 75% which i was happy about to finally get a good mark.

For my half yearly i got 78% which was the top of my class so im now ranked 1 which i am really pumped about so i am more motivated now.

get_born

corbs18 said:
yeah i was happy with mine as i hav been going shit in all mine since year 11. since yr 12, my 1st assessment i got 55% then my second one i got equal 1st place on 75% which i was happy about to finally get a good mark.

For my half yearly i got 78% which was the top of my class so im now ranked 1 which i am really pumped about so i am more motivated now.
congratulations! :)

mel4dan

Hey guys. Im in year 11, and we just did our half- yealy preliminaries. I got 97% in the mathematics paper and topped my class in extension with 81%.

Is this good and how does it compare???

Trev

stix
HSC
HarryKozy said:
Hey guys. Im in year 11, and we just did our half- yealy preliminaries. I got 97% in the mathematics paper and topped my class in extension with 81%.

Is this good and how does it compare???
That sounds like a good mark, but you can't tell how it compares to other schools...
Not until the HSC exam, lol.

FroZenWaffleS

HSC
I got 92% for 2unit and 72% for 3unit.
Couldnt remember somethings for 3unit such as the calculus and lost most my marks in the 1st question in 2unit for being careless.

slix_88

HSC
4u

Hey guys, just wanna know what mark a person is required to get to get into 4U (not required, more preferred). I did my half-yearly this year (YR11) for Math 2 + 3U, and got weird marks. For 2U, I got 94% (too many stupid mistakes) and topped my class for 3U with 98%. Isn't that weird? PS: I go selective - added it in so u would be able to determine the difficulty of the exam.

get_born

slix_88 said:
Hey guys, just wanna know what mark a person is required to get to get into 4U (not required, more preferred). I did my half-yearly this year (YR11) for Math 2 + 3U, and got weird marks. For 2U, I got 94% (too many stupid mistakes) and topped my class for 3U with 98%. Isn't that weird? PS: I go selective - added it in so u would be able to determine the difficulty of the exam.
im not sure...but your in yr 11 getting those marks...good on ya, I say go for 4 unit if you can do it. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)