how do I fight sleep? (1 Viewer)

Aerials

your member for ulladulla
HSC
Ive got a timetable for study and all but it seems like as soon as I get home from school I fall asleep and I wake up two hours later feeling even more lazy than when I did when I came home. How can I fight sleep? Is this just the way I am or do others experience this too? Does anyone have a magic (or other) solution or something? I M DESPERADO :(

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yes, i went through that phase about half through this term! i would just drop dead by 6th period and would fall asleep upon walking in the door at home....but the thing is, i knew y this was happening....i was staying up too late every night and was having trouble getting up in the mornings.

this is all due to my biological clock going completely out of whack in the summer holidays (like going to sleep at 5am and getting up at lunchtime the next day :p)

just go to bed earlier, even if ur not sleepy, just get more sleep AT THE RIGHT TIME...well this was my case but if ur problem sounds similar to mine then just try getting to bed earlier

Affinity

HSC
You're not getting enough sleep if that happens... the only way you can help this is actually sleep..

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The best way to overcome this is to tell your body that 'this is the time I want to study, so keep me awake'.

Do this by consistently making yourself study at the same time everyday. e.g. 8:30-10:30pm EVERYDAY.

Your body will adjust to that time and sooner or later you won't feel as sleepy as you keep doing it. I know this works because I did it.

If you start studying randomly at times you want to, the drowsiness will hit you hard and fast.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by Affinity
You're not getting enough sleep if that happens... the only way you can help this is actually sleep..
Enough sleep isn't always the case. Boredom brings in drowiness.

Have you ever tried getting up from a 9 hour sleep then start studying something you really hate? I felt soo sleepy even after so much sleep.

Affinity

HSC
but make sure you have enough sleep.. coz you will have to save up to allow you to overdraft sleep time the night before exams

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
when im not sleepy and HAVE to sleep...i read the maths textbook, like REALLY read it...makes me fall asleep within exactly 30-40 seconds...never fails :D

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
mmmm... wot i did in the hsc was get home bt 430... go to sleep wake up 7 have dinner... study til 11... take a break... start at 12 for 2 more hrs... then sleep and wake up at 7 in the morning...

sounds pretty hectic 6hrs... but this is only for the last 3months leading up to the hsc...

i think diff ppl need diff amount of sleep... i noe ppl who can go for 1hr sleep b4 the exam and do perfectly fine... while others need at least 10 everynite... how much sleep u need depends on how u cope with not sleeping... lol

if all else fails... then go for coffee and v/redbull... they work... at least in the short term

jenyyy

haha coffee or anything with caffine in it never works for me. the body is up and ready but my mind is gone. sucks :mad1:

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Aerials
Ive got a timetable for study and all but it seems like as soon as I get home from school I fall asleep and I wake up two hours later feeling even more lazy than when I did when I came home. How can I fight sleep? Is this just the way I am or do others experience this too? Does anyone have a magic (or other) solution or something? I M DESPERADO :(
This is my situation. Basically my solution has been to skip school, sleep in all day and then work very efficiently and effectively therefore attaining decent assessment marks. After the holidays in term 2 I'm going to seriously work on a better way of doing this. One of them is something called "chronotherapy", it's probably meant to be done under physician's supervision but it's not like any of us don't stay up for over 24hrs or more sometimes. During the end of the holidays I'll stay up from one day until say 11pm the next day and that should fix all my troubles.

Originally posted by Sarah168
yes, i went through that phase about half through this term! i would just drop dead by 6th period and would fall asleep upon walking in the door at home....but the thing is, i knew y this was happening....i was staying up too late every night and was having trouble getting up in the mornings.

this is all due to my biological clock going completely out of whack in the summer holidays (like going to sleep at 5am and getting up at lunchtime the next day :p)

just go to bed earlier, even if ur not sleepy, just get more sleep AT THE RIGHT TIME...well this was my case but if ur problem sounds similar to mine then just try getting to bed earlier
Yeah that's like me, by the time I got home I'd just fall asleep and have a nap for 3hrs until dinner time. That was probably also causing my problems but it was a symptom of the problem/cause and not the actual cause. I've tried the going to bed earlier technique - it doesn't work for me. I just toss and turn. I usually just toss and turn all night until I get pissed off and do something more productive like eat or read the SMH or The Age online :p

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
i Had the same problem at the beginning of year 11...i used to sleep late and after school sleep for 2-3 hours and then study...the study was not too effective ....so i had to "retrain'' my body and fix my sleeping patterns...so i just stopped sleeping in the afternoons no matter how sleepy i was...at the beginning it was a bit hard...but of course when u do not have enuf sleep, u'd definately sleep early at night!!

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Aerials
MAYBE YOU SHOULD CHANGE THE TIMETABLE TO BETTER SUIT YOU. Like allow time for sleep anf stuff. I say try stay awake when you get home have fun, do some work and then go to sleep earlier than normal

Estel

Tutor
HSC
In response to the original question:

You don't.

untamedanimal

I agree, DONT fight sleep. If you need to sleep then your not going to get much out of studying. In the words of my teacher, you dont have a life during the HSC. You shouldnt be up every night really late.

nike33

go to gym / play sport etc even only ~1 hr a day, it will increase the effectiveness of ur study

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
Originally posted by nike33
go to gym / play sport etc even only ~1 hr a day, it will increase the effectiveness of ur study
Word to that. A lot of people say, I don't have time.... my response, YOU DON'T HAVE TIME NOT TO EXERCISE!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Cyph
Word to that. A lot of people say, I don't have time.... my response, YOU DON'T HAVE TIME NOT TO EXERCISE!
now you sound like one of the guys from Queer Eye...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)