How do I finish the 3U exam? (1 Viewer)

haywire

HSC
I dont know how some people can finish half an hour early, and still get 80+/84.
But just wanted to know some time management or exam skills that I could use to atleast finish on time, if not 5-10 minutes early.
thanks in advance

haywire

HSC
how much time do you take? and how much do you usually get (/84)?

Alkanes

HSC
I think the best is to work as fast as possible. Preferably try and finish Q1-5 in less than an hour. So you can spend the next hour or so to have a good attempt at question 6 and 7.

imZerroo

HSC
try doing q. 1-4/5 as quickly as possible, if possible in 45-50 minutes. practice them like crazy, make sure you dont lose any stupid marks
then take your time doing the last 2/3 questions... you will have approx. 1 hours for them.
then go back and check.
also, as mentioned, dont spend too much time on one questions. esp. if its a 2 marker etc. i tend to think that omg its only 2 marks, why cant i get it etc. dont do that lol

OldMathsGuy

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I think the best is to work as fast as possible. Preferably try and finish Q1-5 in less than an hour. So you can spend the next hour or so to have a good attempt at question 6 and 7.
That's pretty much it in a nutshell. To get through the first 5 questions by about the hour mark though requires excellent proficiency at the basics. Practice just the first five questions from the last decade's worth of papers and see how long they take you. All these questions will be pretty routine and after repeated attempts at this process, you should find yourself speeding up and recognising the short cuts available to you if you know your stuff. Just make sure that if the questions ask you to "show", that you provide enough evidence according to the marks worth of the question.

Question 7 and question 6 upon occasion are a different kettle of fish. These usually require some application of knowledge that is not routine, and cannot be memorized. However, the greater exposure to applying your knowledge you have, the better you are going to get at the harder questions. Better students are able to spot the shortcuts available producing more elegant solutions than their more workmanlike cohort.

Out of all the past papers, there has been a slight trend upwards in difficulty with the 2006 paper being the standout. Part of the reason why this was such a tough paper is that even the best students were struggling time-wise - and thus where usually the best students would have almost an hour for the final two questions, in this paper time for those questions was significantly reduced. So maybe avoid the 2006 paper until you really want to test yourself.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy

apollo1

Banned
HSC
lol i no someone who finished his 3U hsc exam in 40 minutes. but he state ranked so its not really a gud indicator. the average person in the nsw cohort shuld be able to finish the exam with about 20-30 minutes left.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The other things you can do is minimise the number of things you need to work out in the exam. For example, learn the results of Sin 30, 60 etc.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
The other things you can do is minimise the number of things you need to work out in the exam. For example, learn the results of Sin 30, 60 etc.
I don't recommend that. I do recommend being able to evaluate them as quickly as possible in your head however.

Question 1 should definitely be done in less than 5 minutes, same with question 2. Question's 3-5 should be done in probably 25 minutes at most then the rest of the time you can spend on the last 2 questions.

IMO anyways.

hup

HSC
N/A
I tend to finish the paper in an hour

TheCardician

HSC
For 3 unit past papers, my newly adopted strategy is to do Q1-3 in 30 min, Q4-5 in 30 min and Q6-7 in 35-40 min. It's not 30 minutes checking time, but about 20-25 minutes, so it should be alright.

I tend to finish the paper in an hour
Legend.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I generally spend 30 minutes on Q1-Q3, Q4-Q5 is about 20-30 minutes depending on the paper, 20 minutes for Q6 and 30 minutes for Q7. Personally, I think the 2U Q10 is harder than 3U Q7...

artosis

HSC
Q 1-5 in 35mins max. 1hr for Q 6 and 7. and rest for checking.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Out of all the past papers, there has been a slight trend upwards in difficulty with the 2006 paper being the standout. Part of the reason why this was such a tough paper is that even the best students were struggling time-wise - and thus where usually the best students would have almost an hour for the final two questions, in this paper time for those questions was significantly reduced. So maybe avoid the 2006 paper until you really want to test yourself.
After so many years, I still find it weird how most people think the 2006 paper was the hardest. I personally think some other years were a lot tougher...

Comeeatmebro

HSC
I have a question -- often when I do exam, I spend a lot of time in reasoning and explanations of why I did something, as though the examiner was a mathematically illiterate bastard. Question is -- how much reasoning/explanation do you need -- will examiners cut marks off if you don't provide enough?

Like sometimes for a 2mark question -- reasoning shit took up 1 page, whilst the actual working out was about 1/3 of a page.

Thanks guys

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I have a question -- often when I do exam, I spend a lot of time in reasoning and explanations of why I did something, as though the examiner was a mathematically illiterate bastard. Question is -- how much reasoning/explanation do you need -- will examiners cut marks off if you don't provide enough?

Like sometimes for a 2mark question -- reasoning shit took up 1 page, whilst the actual working out was about 1/3 of a page.

Thanks guys

You should be able to do most of your reasoning and explaining in a few symbols. If it takes much more than that, or starts to become words and sentences, then in most cases, you're probably overdoing it.

apollo1

Banned
HSC

Thanks guys
they are not expecting an essay. they just want certain key mathematical words mentioned in ur explanation.

khfreakau

HSC
1-5 as quickly as possible. 15 mins each for 6/7. preferably done in 1hr 15. you really need to speed through the first part of the paper much like you would q1/2 in 4u. if i see something i can't do within 5 seconds, skip and come back later. in 4u this threshold is 1min haha.

michaeljennings

HSC
1-5 as quickly as possible. 15 mins each for 6/7. preferably done in 1hr 15. you really need to speed through the first part of the paper much like you would q1/2 in 4u. if i see something i can't do within 5 seconds, skip and come back later. in 4u this threshold is 1min haha.
Take this guy's advice he's one of the top students for ext 1 and 2 at a school ranked in top 5!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)