How do i improve my ext2 results (1 Viewer)

abltres

HSC
I'm the only person doing ext2 maths at my school and I'm finding it really hard. It doesn't help that my teacher isn't that great. My assessment marks so far are 80%, 63% and I'm still waiting for the trial mark to come back. Then I have one more assessment before the hsc. I have a feeling the assessments my school has set for me are really easy and that's why I'm passing. I don't think I passed the trial.

Does anyone know how I can go improve my results, besides doing past papers. Any websites or books that I can use that explains the concepts of each topic in great detail?

I'm barely passing english and chem and bio results aren't too great either and I'm worried I won't get the ATAR that I need to get into uni. I've considered the possibility of going to TAFE if I don't make it in but I would like to give everything I can to get in straight away.

If anyone can help, I need it so badly..thanks in advance<!-- google_ad_section_end --></SPAN>

Top Secret

HSC
Which textbook are you using at the moment? What marks/ranks are you getting in ext1? And how long are you spending on mths a week?

I would suggest attempt as many questions as possible. That's because ext2 is not a subject where most questions are the same. It's more about how well you can think and flex your knowledge/understanding. So, yes, detailed understanding will help. But ultimately, attempt as many questions as you can, so you get a "feel" of multiple levels of questions.

abltres

HSC
Which textbook are you using at the moment? What marks/ranks are you getting in ext1? And how long are you spending on mths a week?

I would suggest attempt as many questions as possible. That's because ext2 is not a subject where most questions are the same. It's more about how well you can think and flex your knowledge/understanding. So, yes, detailed understanding will help. But ultimately, attempt as many questions as you can, so you get a "feel" of multiple levels of questions.
I'm using the patel one and fitzpatrick. Marks in ext1 are:
1st assesment: 97%
2nd assessment: 57%
Second assessment was the half yearlies..not so great. I didn't prepare for it. That's probably why I did so bad but my teacher said it was a hard exam and a lot of the people in the class failed. Coming equal second at the moment. First place is one or two marks more than me. thanks heaps=]

I used to love maths a lot but since I've had this ext2 teacher, I've been slowly starting to hate it and been slacking off in doing some questions. It's her first year teaching ext2 and she hasn't done the work in ext2 since she was in high school. I even had to teach her some of the stuff and considering I don't know much, that's a scary thought that she didn't know the simple stuff. I don't know what to do.

Last edited:

abltres

HSC
cambridge or coroneos are probably the best two.
are those good for volumes as well? ive pretty much taught myself the whole ext2 course with the exception of 2 topics (only because a different teacher taught me those topics but she doesn't know the other topics that my actual ext2 teacher taught me) volumes is the one im struggling with, i didnt even attempt those in the trials because I havent been able to teach myself that yet as we did the whole topic in one lesson just before the exam. I had time to teach myself the other topics so they were okay.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
are those good for volumes as well? ive pretty much taught myself the whole ext2 course with the exception of 2 topics (only because a different teacher taught me those topics but she doesn't know the other topics that my actual ext2 teacher taught me) volumes is the one im struggling with, i didnt even attempt those in the trials because I havent been able to teach myself that yet as we did the whole topic in one lesson just before the exam. I had time to teach myself the other topics so they were okay.
tbh, my teacher is good, i don't use my textbook. pretty sure you should grab a cambridge book, but don't be too daunted if you can't do the harder questions in it, some are realllllllllyyyy hard.

abltres

HSC
tbh, my teacher is good, i don't use my textbook. pretty sure you should grab a cambridge book, but don't be too daunted if you can't do the harder questions in it, some are realllllllllyyyy hard.

aww lucky. i'll try that. thank you =]

K

khorne

Cambridge is really really good. I've self taught half of it...easy to follow, good questions. But now..it's a bit late, no? Do past papers/questions.

MC Squidge

BOS' Apex Predator
HSC
volumes are hard at first, but then become ridiclously easy. dont know how to learn em without a good teacher tho. d say cambridge tho

chantszhin

HSC
Fitzpatrick is for the basics, cambridge gives you the harder questions, more exam like questions.

abltres

HSC
thanks guys for the advice...i shall try it and hopefully it will get me through the hsc. =]

kwabon

Banned
HSC
yeh just use patels and cambrigde, and use corroneous (dunno how to spell it) for integration.
those books shall be your teacher. before you hit any past papers, try doing most of the textbook questions, that will the lay the foundations for the past papers, and you amy be able to improve on your marks.

good luck.

shady145

Banned
HSC
I'm the only person doing ext2 maths at my school and I'm finding it really hard. It doesn't help that my teacher isn't that great. My assessment marks so far are 80%, 63% and I'm still waiting for the trial mark to come back. Then I have one more assessment before the hsc. I have a feeling the assessments my school has set for me are really easy and that's why I'm passing. I don't think I passed the trial.

Does anyone know how I can go improve my results, besides doing past papers. Any websites or books that I can use that explains the concepts of each topic in great detail?

I'm barely passing english and chem and bio results aren't too great either and I'm worried I won't get the ATAR that I need to get into uni. I've considered the possibility of going to TAFE if I don't make it in but I would like to give everything I can to get in straight away.

If anyone can help, I need it so badly..thanks in advance<!-- google_ad_section_end --></SPAN>
hey im in the same situation, have u considered doing the 2u exam instead and get a high band 6?
this is my teachers first time teaching the 4u course, im the only one in the class, and my teacher, when explaining things goes straight to the text book lol and reads what it says... i can read!!!
my results are 76, 81 and 50 for the trial lol i got a pass XD... the head maths teacher is getting an ex head teacher from a good school to talk to me so we can decide wether or not to do mx2 or 2u.
do you know what paper you did for the trial...
if u want some trial papers to practise go to the link i put up before. http://community.boredofstudies.org...ion-2/166012/ext-2-past-papers-answers/2.html go down to my post and the megaupload link i put up... practice them, anything u dnt get u could probably post on these forums and get them explained
goodluck

abltres

HSC
yeh just use patels and cambrigde, and use corroneous (dunno how to spell it) for integration.
those books shall be your teacher. before you hit any past papers, try doing most of the textbook questions, that will the lay the foundations for the past papers, and you amy be able to improve on your marks.

good luck.
thanks =] i just want a pass and ill be happy

abltres

HSC
hey im in the same situation, have u considered doing the 2u exam instead and get a high band 6?
this is my teachers first time teaching the 4u course, im the only one in the class, and my teacher, when explaining things goes straight to the text book lol and reads what it says... i can read!!!
my results are 76, 81 and 50 for the trial lol i got a pass XD... the head maths teacher is getting an ex head teacher from a good school to talk to me so we can decide wether or not to do mx2 or 2u.
do you know what paper you did for the trial...
if u want some trial papers to practise go to the link i put up before. http://community.boredofstudies.org...ion-2/166012/ext-2-past-papers-answers/2.html go down to my post and the megaupload link i put up... practice them, anything u dnt get u could probably post on these forums and get them explained
goodluck
i did the cssa trial paper. i just did my trial this week and my teacher is on retreat so i wont get it back for while. before it took her a couple of weeks to mark my half yearlies so im not gonna hold my breath.

i dont want to drop ext2 because my english mark is really bad and i only have 11 units. my 11th unit sor is really bad like i havent studied for it all year. good luck with the talk. i think keep mx2 even though it does get frustrating at times but it makes sense to get a band6 in 2u and get a crappy mark in ext2.

abltres

HSC
simple, drop it.

sounds like you should not have picked it in the first place, lol are you passing anything
I'm passing..just not in the 90s....i really like maths and dont want to drop it. i was just asking what books and that i could use to help me get better results...

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Cambridge is good, if a little light on the explantations. Fitz coevers this very well, and Coroneos is ridiculously good on Intergration, which is the backbone of a lot of 4U stuff. Try looking for Derek Buchanan's notes, they're a great way to self teach. Maths Online is probably the best for easier stuff though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)