How do I manage my time? (1 Viewer)

Dashdorm24

HSC
I'm aiming to do 4 hours a day of study. I usually get home at 3:30, have an hour and 20 minutes to myself which includes a quick nap. Then get started on my work. The thing is with 4 hours of study, breaks are essential and by the time that is finished so around 10pm, i still have a lot of homework left to do while also adding to my study notes so I end up finishing 12:00am. What can I do to improve my routine?

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
First, perhaps you could reconsider the hour and 20 minutes that you have to yourself after getting home. You may wish to start studying as soon as you get home instead of having an hour and 20 minutes to yourself, which would technically allow you to finish studying at around 10:40pm - 11pm instead of midnight. However, this may be a harsh approach, since you likely need a bit of rest after a tiring day of school. Based on this, you could limit the time that you have to yourself to a 20-30 minute nap, which would also enable you to finish studying at approximately 11pm, saving you an hour each day, which you can instead add to your sleep.

Additionally, weekends constitute a great opportunity for you to study, catch up on previous content and/or expand your study notes. Starting at an early time on weekends for instance, can significantly supplement the progress that you make in your studies throughout the week and is therefore something that you may wish to consider.

I hope this helps! :D

Dashdorm24

HSC
First, perhaps you could reconsider the hour and 20 minutes that you have to yourself after getting home. You may wish to start studying as soon as you get home instead of having an hour and 20 minutes to yourself, which would technically allow you to finish studying at around 10:40pm - 11pm instead of midnight. However, this may be a harsh approach, since you likely need a bit of rest after a tiring day of school. Based on this, you could limit the time that you have to yourself to a 20-30 minute nap, which would also enable you to finish studying at approximately 11pm, saving you an hour each day, which you can instead add to your sleep.

Additionally, weekends constitute a great opportunity for you to study, catch up on previous content and/or expand your study notes. Starting at an early time on weekends for instance, can significantly supplement the progress that you make in your studies throughout the week and is therefore something that you may wish to consider.

I hope this helps! :D
Thank you, also in class for chemistry, bio and maths at the moment we have booklets for the entire module/topic. Do you recommend use some of my study time to get ahead on these booklets so I don't get any homework, and make notes prior to class and just nitpick important things the teacher says in class; which gives me time to do challenging worksheets and past papers during class time. Or should I just spend all of my study time doing revision, past papers etc.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you, also in class for chemistry, bio and maths at the moment we have booklets for the entire module/topic. Do you recommend I get ahead on these booklets, so I don't get any homework, and make notes prior to class and just nitpick important things the teacher says in class; while also doing challenging worksheets and past papers?
If you are able to include this as part of your study routine without impacting your health, i.e. maintain a healthy sleep schedule, then you should probably give it a try. Another thing to consider with respect to going ahead in terms of content is to do so at a comfortable speed. Going ahead typically puts you ahead in terms of content compared to your peers (as opposed to having to catch up), meaning that you are definitely capable of making this a comfortable process, including going at a comfortable speed so as to avoid being overwhelmed.

Dashdorm24

HSC
If you are able to include this as part of your study routine without impacting your health, i.e. maintain a healthy sleep schedule, then you should probably give it a try. Another thing to consider with respect to going ahead in terms of content is to do so at a comfortable speed. Going ahead typically puts you ahead in terms of content compared to your peers (as opposed to having to catch up), meaning that you are definitely capable of making this a comfortable process, including going at a comfortable speed so as to avoid being overwhelmed.
Great thank you so much.

icycledough

HSC
I'm aiming to do 4 hours a day of study. I usually get home at 3:30, have an hour and 20 minutes to myself which includes a quick nap. Then get started on my work. The thing is with 4 hours of study, breaks are essential and by the time that is finished so around 10pm, i still have a lot of homework left to do while also adding to my study notes so I end up finishing 12:00am. What can I do to improve my routine?
I'd add a few tips (on top of jimmy's) which personally, I used during my HSC year

Usually in Year 12, students have free periods (obviously, the number depends on how many units and subjects you do), but try to use those as effectively as possible. It can be difficult as you'll most likely have other mates with free periods and a planned study session might turn into a chit-chat, but try to control yourself as much as you can.

Maybe use recess or lunch in the library to get some work. Again, I understand that you need time to eat (which most libraries don't allow) and probably want to use your breaks as you'd like, which is fine. But it's another food for thought if you need it.

Try waking up earlier each day (or on alternate days). I used to wake up an hour earlier as much as I could to get some work done (most likely just some revision or study from a previous day's topic, or getting some work done which is due later on down the track). I found that studying in the morning allowed me to be at my most fresh, and so could concentrate without any other noise (parents, siblings, traffic if you live near a busy road, etc)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)