How do I remember my essay/prepare for assessment? (1 Viewer)

DudeLove

HSC
I've already written my essay for my upcoming assessment task, which requires me to listen to an audio related text and use that in my eassy.

I'm not quite sure how I would go about in preparing for it, do I just continuously read it until i can remember every word?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Remembering every single word of your essay, particularly a generic essay is very dangerous, how do you know the points you are arguing will be incorporated with the related text perfectly? to maximise your marks, you should do several things
1)ask your teacher for a sample audio related text and try to practice your assessment task condition under exam condition-what topic is your assessment task on anyways and have you been given the question?-if your teacher are unwilling, try to ask if anyone knows a previous year student who had done this task and ask them for tips
2)prepare other points-techniques, quotes and ideas about prescribed text-essentially paragraphs that also relates to the question but different from your essay-because the more paragraphs you prepare-the more flexible you can be-and the more likely you are going to answer the question as well as relate that related text to your essay very well
3)make sure you ask the teacher for a marking criteria and after each practice run-get someone to mark your essay for you-whether it is the teacher, tutor, find someone to give you some constructive comments on your essay content and structure-don't just keep practice memorising if your essay potentially have faults within it

Truly I will repeat this, please don't memorise your essay word by word-just remember your overall arguments and techniques and quotes, the more detailed you remember your essay, the less likely you will be able to incorporate your related text effectively, and the more likely the teacher is going to detect this is a pre-prepared essay that does not answer the question in a coherent manner-and that is how you lose marks, hope this helps:) and best of luck for your assessment task:)

DudeLove

HSC
Thanks! Do you have any tips in regards to an audio text? What key things I should note down when listening?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Remembering every single word of your essay, particularly a generic essay is very dangerous, how do you know the points you are arguing will be incorporated with the related text perfectly?

Truly I will repeat this, please don't memorise your essay word by word-just remember your overall arguments and techniques and quotes, the more detailed you remember your essay, the less likely you will be able to incorporate your related text effectively, and the more likely the teacher is going to detect this is a pre-prepared essay that does not answer the question in a coherent manner-and that is how you lose marks, hope this helps:) and best of luck for your assessment task:)
Not when you have a 'super essay'. :haha: All of my essays weren't structured in a limiting conventional manner, as such I was able to answer any question posed.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Not when you have a 'super essay'. :haha: All of my essays weren't structured in a limiting conventional manner, as such I was able to answer any question posed.
Wouldn't call it a 'super essay', just a generic essay done properly.

tutorhunt

HSC
N/A
To answer your question, even though it is advised not to rote learn your essays: not in any order
1. Write your essays out on paper
2. Read your essays outloud everyday
3. Read them on the bus to school/work/etc
4. Record your essays on your iphone/ipod and listen to them

Or remember the core sections, and adapt them to different questions < this will help a lot.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Wouldn't call it a 'super essay', just a generic essay done properly.
Thats what my tutor called it. Haha.

My essay was structured around paradigms of the module concept, as such it organically molded to the syllabus rubric.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Thats what my tutor called it. Haha.

My essay was structured around paradigms of the module concept, as such it organically molded to the syllabus rubric.
Exactly how essays are supposed to be done :) I'm glad someone gets how memorising a generic works. It's like everyone else thinks it's mindless memorisation of garbage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)