How do I study at uni? (1 Viewer)

afc123

HSC
I'm doing my 4 cores for a bachelor of commerce. All through school I studied very effectively by re-writing the textbook in my own words. Although I was always left with books and books of notes I could manage with doing a few 400 pages books over the year. I need to hand write my notes as it is the only way I can retain information. I've tried summarising but it does not work for me as I like to have my notes as thorough as possible. Now I have 4 textbooks ranging from 450-750 pages. I don't know what to do because it is already taking me too long to write notes despite me being able to understand them extremely well after going through them.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
You wont have time to do that... all that rewriting thingy

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
How do you study?

Mainly doing the questions and the problems. Writing notes should be something you do last.

afc123

HSC
Writing notes is the only thing I do. I remember everything I write down very well, that's why I stuck to this method. Plus, it's time consuming so I never had time to move on but I didn't feel like I needed to anyway.

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad
i used to do pretty much exactly what you're doing! my excuse is i barely studied until the month before hsc exams so i didnt know any better when it came to uni. so first semester i fell very behind :( you'll need to change this habit now if you're finding it too time consuming. you dont need to write ANY notes to learn something. the time you're taking to put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard could be spent doing at least twice the amount of reading. im doing science so maybe it's different but what i do is:

- read the lecture notes before the lecture if they're available (if not then find what the subject will be and read the textbook or whatever)
- during lectures just sit back relax and pay attention
- answer tute questions before the tute
- if you come across something you dont understand, read the textbook or online until you understand it. practice learning in your mind instead of having to write it down if that makes sense

for exams i do past papers, look over tute questions, read, watch lectures again and make sure i know everything. while doing past papers i might make a sheet of notes if i have to remember formulas or if i see recurring questions that i need to remember how to answer. but that's it :3 and that took me from p,p,c,hd studying 24/7 to c,c,d,hd being a bit lazier than i should have been. oh yeah and a weekly study plan helps too if you dont have one. those r my studyin tipz

enoilgam

HSC
With the vast majority of units, there seems like a huge amount of content, but usually the lecturer will focus on only a few specific things for the exam. The key with uni is identifying what you need to know from the mass of content and that is quite an art form in and of itself. Usually the lecturer will give it away by focusing on certain things, or they will just tell you what they intend to do with the exam earlier in the semester.

UNSW WSC - Scotty

HSC
I used to do that but yeah, doesn't work at uni.

For me what worked was :

i) listen to lecture/go through the notes
ii) go through tutorial questions
iii) repeat ii and go through notes for more examples.

Basically practising the examples was key for me. Nothing else works. I also use tutors a lot although this option is fairly expensive.

Regards,
Scott

iLikeTofu

HSC
Uni Grad
At university, minimal guidance is given by lecturers, tutors and the whole system in general. Content is taught very fast. Luckily for you, commerce is actually okay (difficulty and quantity-wise). I recommend the following:

1. Go to lectures. Even if you don't learn anything in them, it keeps you in the loop with the subject and at least you've been EXPOSED to it. When it comes to assessments/finals, it makes all the difference just having heard certain phrases before and just knowing the structure of the course. Nothing worse than sitting down to study for the finals and looking at what is actually covered in this subject for the first time ever.

2. Find friends - useful, selfless friends. One way to get through uni (and the easiest way too) is to have friends whom you can give and take notes/knowledge. Someone who can really save your ass when it comes to tutorial homework or notes for that mid-sem that you forgot about.

3. Schedule studying/revision into your weekly timetable. Assign a timeslot where you'd study a particular subject. That way, you don't end up neglecting subjects till assessments.

4. Study off LECTURE SLIDES! All exams come off these and if you know how to use them correctly and effectively, you're set.

5. Relax. University is more than about studying and good grades. Join some societies, do some volunteering, get out there and develop skills outside the classroom!

Good luck!
Tracey

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I just chill for the 13 weeks. Then begin studying in stu vac. True story.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I attempt to do all tutorial questions, some textbook questions, textbook readings and practice from the get go, but then I end up getting lost in extra curriculars and that may go behind a bit and hence I end up with knowing the main basics behind the content throughout, but find it difficult to cope with harder questions in exams. Hence when week 13 comes I cram the syllabus, and from stuvac onwards I spam about 60-70 hours of past paper work and answers check a week.

This method doesn't work for everyone and also I cram a ridiculous amount in the final weeks simply because I lose a few weeks throughout the semester where there is no time to study. Hoping to fix that up next semester though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)