How do main round offers/preferences work? (1 Viewer)

yeah_boy

HSC
Okay so I'm really confused as to how preferences/main round offers work..

1). Am I disadvantaged by putting a sort of..."unrealistic" choice at the top of my preference list (UTS Law - I'm 0.70 under 2010 cut off)?

2). How do main round offers? Say I put, UTS first, Macquarie 2nd, UWS 3rd... Do I recieved a comprehensive list of all my preferences saying UTS - no, Maq - yes, UWS - yes etc...

3).... or is the main round only a YES or NO for my first preference, say UTS - and then is my likelihood of macquarie disadvantaged as spots have filled up from the main round as I put UTS first???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Okay so I'm really confused as to how preferences/main round offers work..

1). Am I disadvantaged by putting a sort of..."unrealistic" choice at the top of my preference list (UTS Law - I'm 0.70 under 2010 cut off)?
No.

2). How do main round offers? Say I put, UTS first, Macquarie 2nd, UWS 3rd... Do I recieved a comprehensive list of all my preferences saying UTS - no, Maq - yes, UWS - yes etc...
You only receive one offer. Each preference is considered in sequence until you get an offer for one of them, then the remaining preferences are not considered.

3).... or is the main round only a YES or NO for my first preference, say UTS - and then is my likelihood of macquarie disadvantaged as spots have filled up from the main round as I put UTS first???
See above.

speedofsound

HSC
in regards to no. 1 - no, you aren't disadvantaged. say hypothetically someone got 97 for their atar, put a course that had a cut off of 98 as preference no. 1 first, and then a course that had a cut off of 96 for no. 2. you would be given first priority for a place in the course for preference no. 2 over someone who got 96.5 for their atar BUT put that course as their first preference, just because you got higher, regardless of the fact that it is lower down on your preference list than theirs.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Basically put the course you really want bad first. Accept whatever offers you get, because if they're lower than your preference there is still a chance you will get a 2nd/3rd round offer for your high preferences. And if your first offer is your first preference, then great :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Are many offers made in the early January round?
Maybe specific course that start early or ones that the university has other stuff for you to fill out and get organised. I.e. Midwifery and Nursing at some unis, MBBS might also be another.

gisellel

HSC
If you accept a first round offer and then you get a second round offer for your first preference can you change to your second round offer?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, as long as you haven't filled out all the paper that they send you for the first offer. Hold onto the stuff they send you until you really have to send it in, then take the offer you want,

iTz Osky

HSC
great thread, i have many questions also.

What is the difference between the 1st round offer on January the 5th and the "main round" offer on the 19th?

Also, if for example we are offered a place and decline, but with to take up the offer in a later round, can that be achieved? any help is appreciated

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
"First Round" offers (Early January Offers) are for deferred applicants, non-Year 12 people and those who were selected by other than Year 12 results. - that was from the UAC Guide

Also define 'decline'.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
great thread, i have many questions also.

What is the difference between the 1st round offer on January the 5th and the "main round" offer on the 19th?

Also, if for example we are offered a place and decline, but with to take up the offer in a later round, can that be achieved? any help is appreciated
I think Shawdowdude just answered your question on the First round Jan 5th offers - you won't get one then.

Everyone will be given offers in the Main Round, unless their ATAR is below all the cutoffs.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I have a question - and, well really it's a scenario based thing. Apparently 'enrolment' for university is around the end of January.

Main Round offers come out on the 19th. Early February offers come out on the 2nd of February - after the end of January.

So how would it be possible to ignore your Main Round preference and wait for the Early February offer? Or is that not possible?

Is there some sort of 'late enrolment' thing so the above scenario is possible?

BHS10

Shining Down On You.
HSC
Are offers received in the mail or email? and how do you accept an offer?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Offers are received via internet by logging on to UAC at a certain date at a certain time. I believe they (the university) also send a letter to you to inform you of the offer - and you accept an offer by following instructions on that letter.

ajdlinux

HSC
I have a question - and, well really it's a scenario based thing. Apparently 'enrolment' for university is around the end of January.

Main Round offers come out on the 19th. Early February offers come out on the 2nd of February - after the end of January.

So how would it be possible to ignore your Main Round preference and wait for the Early February offer? Or is that not possible?

Is there some sort of 'late enrolment' thing so the above scenario is possible?
Enrolment dates and procedures vary by institution, but generally there's special provision for first-year students. For example, at ANU, continuing students enrol in December-January, whilst new first-years generally enrol in-person in early February or during O-week.

Generally speaking, they're fairly flexible about enrolment dates, however if you're late they may charge a fee, and DEEWR requires all enrolments to be completed by the census date (31 March). However, I don't think this would affect acceptance of a February offer.

You can (and indeed, UAC says you should) accept your Main Round offer and complete your enrolment, and then withdraw from your Main Round offer if you choose to accept an offer in a later round.

ajdlinux

HSC
Offers are received via internet by logging on to UAC at a certain date at a certain time. I believe they (the university) also send a letter to you to inform you of the offer - and you accept an offer by following instructions on that letter.
Offers are received through UAC, and generally you accept your offer immediately either through the UAC site or through the university's site. UAC will send an offer letter shortly afterwards, and depending on your institution they may include documentation with that letter, or it may be sent separately.

(Accepting a uni offer is the best feeling ever! :D )

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Ah, so I should accept - and then withdraw if I must. I see.

How do we 'withdraw'? Is it just by accepting another offer?

Akiheart

HSC
N/A
I was just wondering if two people A and B had the exact same ATAR and wanted to get into same course, but A but the course as first preference whereas B put it as second/third preference, would A receive an offer for the course in preference over B? =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)