how do people study at uni...? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I made notes from the lecture, detailed notes and never touched a textbook. I then memorised the notes, focusing on understanding them at the same time. I recommend this method :p

what the...how can u make notes from the lectures? the information written on the lecture slides is already summarised and brief...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
what the...how can u make notes from the lectures? the information written on the lecture slides is already summarised and brief...

Don't just copy the lecture slides, actually note down what the lecturer is saying?

antisheep

HSC
Don't just copy the lecture slides, actually note down what the lecturer is saying?
Yeah that's exactly why I don't take lecture slides to lectures... i once had a tutor essentially tell me I'm an idiot for it because it was "inefficient" to take my own notes but I find that I don't absorb or write as much when I have the lecture slides in front of me... I mean why would I? I can just draw a cool circle around one of the words and then underline another and clearly I have made my comprehensive notes... certainly enough to get me through an exam :S

Instead I, like Asylum it seems, find that revisiting the material provides huge benefits so I sit there with my lecture notes, the lecture slides and any notes from the readings and try to fit them all together, the theory being what one may be lacking one of the other two will pick up on... this year I'm finally seeming to be able to manage this juggling act (so far) and I'm understanding everything alot better...

So yes, somewhere in that ramble is why I'm anti lecture slides :p

icecoffee

HSC
Does that mean in 3 years time i'll be able to finally perfect my studying methods? LOL syllabus dot points made everything so much easier!
Thanks for your input though, the anti-lecture slide thing makes sense but the only downside i see is scrambling to write everything down and possible missing some other information. However, that said, it would probably make me more attentive.

antisheep

HSC
Does that mean in 3 years time i'll be able to finally perfect my studying methods? LOL syllabus dot points made everything so much easier!
Thanks for your input though, the anti-lecture slide thing makes sense but the only downside i see is scrambling to write everything down and possible missing some other information. However, that said, it would probably make me more attentive.
it's a different strokes for different folks kind of thing. I found that going into lectures with the slides in hand doesn't work for me. Most people it does seem to work for and it very well could for you and that's great. It's about finding your learning style. And hopefully you'll work out something to get by before third year, lol. But uni isn't just about the content you learn, alot of it's to do with learning how to learn, changing the way you think etc.

And if you're longing for the hsc syllabus points, remember you've got your unit outline. If you understand all the topics outlined in there by the end of semester then you've achieved what you've set out to do.

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
If you can, do your readings before you attend a given lecture, that way you'll already have some minimal understanding of what the lecturer is saying (and thus be more interested/less sleepy), and the lecture will become an opportunity to reinforce the knowledge rather than just your first exposure to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)