How do second and third round offers work? (1 Viewer)

Bobbo1

HSC
For e.g. is my preferences are:
1) Comm/Law - 99.65 or whatever
2) Comm/adv maths - 98
3) Commerce - 96

And I end up with an ATAR of 99.5 then would it be possible to get a 2nd or 3rd round offer for law?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Depends on what the ATAR cut-off for the main round is. Usually, iirc, cut-offs for degrees in later rounds go up.

Deathless

HSC
For e.g. is my preferences are:
1) Comm/Law - 99.65 or whatever
2) Comm/adv maths - 98
3) Commerce - 96

And I end up with an ATAR of 99.5 then would it be possible to get a 2nd or 3rd round offer for law?
Is this UNSW or USYD? UNSW and USYD don't tend to give 2nd or 3rd round offers for those listed subjects except maybe a few places for law.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Generally if you miss the cut-off for something like law during the main round, the chances that you will get an offer in the succeeding rounds are quite slim. Regardless, if you miss out on your first choice during the main round, keep it there for the duration. Essentially, if the highest choice you missed out on initially becomes available in later rounds, it will be automatically offered. All you have to do is contact the university and state that you will not be pursuing the initially offer degree program because of another offer.

Bobbo1

HSC
Depends on what the ATAR cut-off for the main round is. Usually, iirc, cut-offs for degrees in later rounds go up.
I'm lost, wouldn't the unis want to fill up the remaining positions by lowering their ATAR requirements?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm lost, wouldn't the unis want to fill up the remaining positions by lowering their ATAR requirements?
The cut-off goes up probably because people switch offers around between rounds and the like. Some go down - I suppose those are the less popular ones.

But my course went 98.15 --> 99.95 in a later round, iirc.

Bobbo1

HSC
So just confirming if I put my preferences as in my first post, I will get B Comm/B Adv Maths in the main round of offers right?

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So just confirming if I put my preference as in my first post, I will get B Comm/B Adv Maths in the main round of offers right?
If your ATAR is above the Main Round cut-off, yes. But those change.

enoilgam

HSC
If your ATAR is above the Main Round cut-off, yes. But those change.
This. Cutoffs, like aligning and scaling, changes from year to year. I got into a course first round with an ATAR 1.1 off the cutoff. However, cutoffs are usually pretty stable for most courses.

Bobbo1

HSC
So I can accept this offer (say I get into Comm/Adv Maths) and then change around my preferences for 2nd and 3rd round offers?

enoilgam

HSC
So I can accept this offer (say I get into Comm/Adv Maths) and then change around my preferences for 2nd and 3rd round offers?
If you accept your top preference, then you wont get any second round offers for lower preferences.

Bobbo1

HSC
So you only get 2nd round offers if you get zero offers for main round?? Really confused on this :S

enoilgam

HSC
So you only get 2nd round offers if you get zero offers for main round?? Really confused on this :S
Basically, in the main round offer, you will recieve an offer for your highest preference course which you reach the cutoff (lets say in your situation, you get 99.8 and make comm/law at usyd). If you accept that place, then you wont recieve any 2nd or third round offers. If you were to only get 99.5, which was enough for comm/advanced maths, then you could possibly get a 2nd or 3rd round offer for law/comm only. I think you can also change your preferences after the main round offers. If anyone thinks I'm wrong, feel free to correct me, I only remember this process vaguely

Bobbo1

HSC
Basically, in the main round offer, you will recieve an offer for your highest preference course which you reach the cutoff (lets say in your situation, you get 99.8 and make comm/law at usyd). If you accept that place, then you wont recieve any 2nd or third round offers. If you were to only get 99.5, which was enough for comm/advanced maths, then you could possibly get a 2nd or 3rd round offer for law/comm only. I think you can also change your preferences after the main round offers. If anyone thinks I'm wrong, feel free to correct me, I only remember this process vaguely
Ok, I think I get the idea now, you get accepted into the highest preference course and then for every other course above this preference which you didn't make it into you have the opportunity for 2nd or 3rd round offers - where the chances are really slim. That took awhile, idk why but I still have the selective schools preferences listing lingering in my mind and I keep thinking it's the same thing

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Ok, I think I get the idea now, you get accepted into the highest preference course and then for every other course above this preference which you didn't make it into you have the opportunity for 2nd or 3rd round offers - where the chances are really slim.
Thats pretty much how it works.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Hmm. If you do not get accepted into your first preference all your other preferences are treated equally in the same round... unless of course the other preferences have already been filled out in the main round. So you have to make sure that the first preference is the one you want and the one you know you will get into in either Early January or Main Round. This would help understand the confusion ; http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/faq/offers.shtml

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)