How do they check plagiarism? (1 Viewer)

old.skool.kid

HSC
Hey i got done for minor plagiarism and im wondering how they check it?
Do they pour tirelessy through all of your sources, or is there actually a plagiarism detector thing that says if part of your work is the same as something on the interntet??

spence

HSC
There are computer programs, such as Turnitin, which can detect plagiarism. Also, markers generally have a good knowledge of the area, so will recognise where many things came from.

edit: also, your writing style may change when you're using someone else's work. This is usually pretty easy to detect

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The easiest way to check initially for plagiarism on the internet is to copy a sentence or two into google.

Have caught a number of students doing that.

Peartie

HSC
the best thing would be just not to plagerise

but that being said - they catch you through the ways that have been said - google is by far one of the best...if something looks wrong, like your writing style suddenly changes, then a couple of sentences word for word in google will pop up a hit more often than not....

I know someone that plagerised out of a book thinking they wouldnt get done - but they stupidly plagerised out of the Lecturers own book...thats one way they detect it i guess....

Grissom

HSC
its even harder to plagarise nowadays since googles scanned every book in the universe.

HSC
um,

the easiest way to avoid plagiarism is to just reference everything that you used.

even if turnitin spots that u copied or paraprased something, as long as you've referenced that information, then it should be fine.

ive used heaps of stuff from the internet, books etc etc to do my assignments, but ive always referenced every single source that i used and ive never been caught of plagiarism :D

Last edited:

iwannarock

HSC
none of my essays are ever my own words.

i steal everything.

i just reference everything thats all.

its so much easier than plagiarizing.

macca1819

HSC
The easiest way to check initially for plagiarism on the internet is to copy a sentence or two into google.

Have caught a number of students doing that.
Yeah, that's what all my teachers said in high school. This one boy in Year 11 copied and pasted an entire essay from the internet, word for word. Ended up getting 0, lol.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah, that's what all my teachers said in high school. This one boy in Year 11 copied and pasted an entire essay from the internet, word for word. Ended up getting 0, lol.
The consequences can be much more serious at uni, it can see you kicked out, or worse, I had one academic tell us he told the admittance board about plagarism thus making it very difficult for the student to actually become a laywer.

Kiim2507

HSC
Turnitin is nuts.
For marketing they let us see the originality report...it kinda freaked me out because it picks up on absolutely everything...like even if every second word is the same or whatever :S

Peartie

HSC
I know what yuo mean about turnitin...

i did a an essay about germany since the fall of the berlin wall

everytime i used a phrase like "fall of the berlin wall" it picked it up because someone, somewhere had used that EXACT phrase - so when i was able to see what it said it had it as somehing like 40% plagerised......

HSC
a good tutor of mine told us that he personally can't stand programs like turnitin because of its sensitivity.

Peartie

HSC
well unless you tick the "dont include refrences" button the whole bibliography generally comes out as plagerised :p

Peartie

HSC
i know - im not saying they would

im just saying turnitin is really a pile of [usually] useless crap, in that it says you plagerised things you have clearly referenced.... thats just in my opinion....

Odyssey2001

HSC
I hate turnitin, the first time I ever had to use it for an essay I was so scared that I'd get caught for plagiarism I was freaked a few words I’d written may be similar to something someone else wrote. Not that I ever plagiarise but the way the lecturer's talked it up scared the hell out of me last year, and being a first year I was allready scared enough lol.

Lol also funny story I just thought I'd mention because it relates to turnitin. This one person in my class last year copied an entire essay from some American University website (word for word) and put it through turnitin and claimed it as there own, all I can say it LOL biggest idiot of the year! I don't know what happened to them (our tutor wouldn't say anything other than "we're dealing with them") but I found it funny that they were stupid enough to think they wouldn't be caught.

But I mean seriously is it worth it to plagiarise and get zero (ouch!)??

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)