How do u get a high band 6 in extension maths? (1 Viewer)

HSC
well the question is aimed directly at E4 students who achieved a high band 6 in ext 2 math. i mean how is it possible to do well in a subject that is extremely complex. i've heard that heaps of kids have mucked up in it. so any advice is apreciated.

the titles kinda ironic cause there is no band 6 in extension math, just E4

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
digimonstudent said:
well the question is aimed directly at E4 students who achieved a high band 6 in ext 2 math. i mean how is it possible to do well in a subject that is extremely complex. i've heard that heaps of kids have mucked up in it. so any advice is apreciated.
Refer to some of the stickied threads that discuss tips and other useful knowledge.

But my advice: learn the concept and past papers. That is all there is to it.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
there is no secret, just work hard at it, keep the past papers up, and so long as you are in the top 33% of the state, you will get an E4

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
If you can get 100+/120 raw in an HSC Ext2 paper, you should have a good chance of getting high 90s.

dp624

HSC
yea, i think 100+ raw is about 95+ raw
while i (honestly) had an innate talent at maths, there is simply more to maths than just this talent. understanding the concept is not the most difficult thing. it's pretty much the application. you need to know what to apply where - especially for subjects like integration.
the best way to do this is past papers. textbooks only really help with the concept, as most of them don't have answers like past papers do

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
dp624 said:
the best way to do this is past papers. textbooks only really help with the concept, as most of them don't have answers like past papers do
I thought that practically most 4u textbooks had full solutions you can access to like cambridge, fitzpatrick, terry lee and excel or are you saying that their answers are inappropriate compared to past papers?

dp624

HSC
nah, they're generally quite good, but they're separate. only terry lee actually has answers in the book.
like full worked solutions

plus, past papers is more variety

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
As my Math teacher always tell us, Math is not a crammable subject
It requires constant practice and revision so that the concepts stay in your head
Like someone above had said, it's more of knowing where to apply the concepts in the questions
So constant practice and revision would help you with your understanding of applications

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
you can get a high e4 by getting high marks in exams.

Just.Snaz

HSC
do a thousand million billion past papers. ANY questions you can get your hands on, do them! oh and start from now. don't start doing hsc past papers in the few weeks before your hsc. do them now now now now NOW.

EDIT: and with that, make sure that after finishing an exam and marking it, if you were to go back and do it again, you'd get 100%

HSC
is it possible to get a 97+ with just past papers n my cheap textbook maths in focus? or should i get fritz or cambridge?

HSC
another important question: how do u avoid silly mistakes? do u just have to practise hard out? or is there anything else u can do?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
digimonstudent said:
is it possible to get a 97+ with just past papers n my cheap textbook maths in focus? or should i get fritz or cambridge?
It is possible if you are able to learn how to apply the concepts in different ways such as those needed in the HSC exam using only those texts. The past papers will definitely help in this regard by giving your a variety of questions to practise on.

digimonstudent said:
another important question: how do u avoid silly mistakes? do u just have to practise hard out? or is there anything else u can do?
Try and do questions slowly at first making sure you make no silly mistakes and then go a bit faster and faster, still making sure you don't make any silly mistakes.

I need to do this myself... as soon as i've revised everything i've learn so far aha

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
digimonstudent said:
lol, silly mistakes JUST HAPPEN. It's very very hard to avoid them completely. However, you can probably increase your chance by not panicking, managing your time effectively (so that you can have more time for re-checking), practising a lot of questions so that you become adept at that topic and re-checking your anwers constantly.

For my 2 unit paper, I probably checked about 4 times (the whole paper) to make sure I got everything right... :)

But if you are a careful person, it should only take you twice to get all mistakes....well probably.

xMrRand0m

HSC
lyounamu said:
lol, silly mistakes JUST HAPPEN. It's very very hard to avoid them completely. However, you can probably increase your chance by not panicking, managing your time effectively (so that you can have more time for re-checking), practising a lot of questions so that you become adept at that topic and re-checking your anwers constantly.

For my 2 unit paper, I probably checked about 4 times (the whole paper) to make sure I got everything right... :)

But if you are a careful person, it should only take you twice to get all mistakes....well probably.
On top of that, I reckon a careful and neat set out of your working should eliminate a few of those silly mistakes.

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
A timing strategy is also important. While I didn't get a high E4, it is important to allocate your time properly so u can actually attempt the harder q8.

Silly mistakes r a fact of life, u just have 2 try 2 make as few as possible!

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
i'm wondering if its possible to get a high band 6, just from working really hard, even if ur not that good at maths or do u need to be some genius

dp624

HSC
Nah you can get a ~95 by simply working your arse off. I know someone who did that. But it really really helps if you have innate talent

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
dp624 said:
Nah you can get a ~95 by simply working your arse off. I know someone who did that. But it really really helps if you have innate talent
so what about a 98?

dp624

HSC
no, anythng with like 97+ requires some innate talent.
or like, neglect of other subjects

the gains aren't worth it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)