How do you beat naturally smart people? (1 Viewer)

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
dont be so worried about the guy in your class. focus more on yourself, and achieving your personal best. think of him as a goal, and use competition as motivation.

in the end you are up against everyone in nsw, so the best concept is focusing more on what you are doing than what others are doing

this one

melissa92

HSC
Uni Grad
I think to do really well, study and practice. Use the syllabus well..eg. I beat nearly all of the 3U girls in maths in 2U..and I only do 2U maths..

nathanf

HSC
A blunt object, eg; a club or chair leg etc

alternatively you could study extremely hard and show that hard work does, indeed pay off ^_^

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
^
That was one of the most difficult things i have tried to read in a while =s
I didn't even bother reading =="

dont be so worried about the guy in your class. focus more on yourself, and achieving your personal best. think of him as a goal, and use competition as motivation.

in the end you are up against everyone in nsw, so the best concept is focusing more on what you are doing than what others are doing
+1

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
As the title suggests, how do you beat those naturally smart people? Weird and abstract question, i know but still i can't emphasize my frustration but it's not like i hate them or anything. For example, in the Maths Ext II test that i've done for this term this guy in my grade, obviously brilliant...he ranks 1 in most subjects and probably his worst rank would be in the 10's but that's Studies of Religion..no one really cares about that:p (no offense to you religo's out there :p) So anyway, he is a really bright student, he walks into the exam and tops it beating me and the rest of the guys in 4U by about minimum 5 marks; which i think, is a lot.

It's not like i don't study, because i do about 4 hours every night and a bit in the morning during exam period but not now..i've really relaxed these past days since i'm off for christmas holidays in a few days. (OH YEAH!) Yeah, so anyone have past experiences or related stories? I'm sure in most schools there has to be a genius raping every subject! I'd just like advice on how to chop him in half (mark-wise ofcourse >;D)!
To be honest, I think Tangent has given you the possible answer, but I thought I'd throw some opinions in for having been through it - in case you are not convinced by him. :)

To quote some: "your UAI (or ATAR) will not matter once you have received the offer from the university that you want to study at". If you are arrogant enough you may think that it's an excuse people have to comfort themselves for not having achieved what they set out for, which is fair enough because that does describe a lot of people (oops :shy:), but there is some truth in it otherwise.

I have met *lots* of very very very bright people. At the beginning it was very frustrating - let's face it, who likes to get owned in something that she/he loves doing? :p That was, however, rather silly in retrospect. In fact, I feel fortunate to have met these people because they really do make you learn much faster, not to mention that they are generally really nice people. :) (There are clearly some who are pretentious and/or manipulative, but meh, you just ignore them)

So, does that mean the rest of us are always second-grade? Nope! 'cause we really are cut out for different things. You will realise (I hope) that you are good at something that other people are not, much like duckcowhybrid's idea of a pet subject.

To give you a personal example, I've been quite pathetic at exams since after high school and the only attempt to top a core subject only saw me coming second; later on I realised by accident that I'm really quite good at research (saying something like that about oneself is often weird...); it's been fantastic since then and I'm owning everyone at what I know I'm good at. ;) (Oh, and learning from the smart people of what I'm not good at :p) At the very least I know I can draw reaction mechanisms and understand chemical kinetics better than most. ;)

After a looong detour and back to answering your original question/request: it's pointless. Personally, I think that not only did Tangent give you the best possible answer, he has also given you the best possible solution. :) If worst comes to worst, your UAI (or ATAR... I should really figure this out) doesn't matter at the end of the day" (assuming that you are reasonably smart and care enough to work hard, which seems to be a fair assumption). Also, as a little aside, if you are familiar with the law of diminishing returns, you should try applying that to a model comprised of unit(s) of increase in exam marks, time spent on studying, time for relaxing and time spent with family/friends.

Hope that helps! :)

^That was one of the most difficult things i have tried to read in a while =s
*Nods*!

+1! :uhhuh:

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I would consider myself a naturally smart person - and let me say, it's nigh impossible. Why? The HSC is something a naturally smart person like myself wishes to ace, and therefore where a person who averages 70 will work up to 87, myself, at 85 will work similarly to get 95.

I always remember I am ranked against the state and every mark I can possibly get is valuable - and therefore for the purposes of the HSC, don't even bother, unless you know the person is lazy.

HOWEVER, these people are usually very open to help others - why? When they review things with you, they are applying knowledge they already have but may be somewhat fuzzy on, and help themselves. I'm always open to help - because I've learned that teaching others is a great way to revise material. Use them as a resource, don't suffer in silence, study with them.

Besides, most of the smart people are introverts like myself and would love to have some company around!

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
I would consider myself a naturally smart person - and let me say, it's nigh impossible. Why? The HSC is something a naturally smart person like myself wishes to ace, and therefore where a person who averages 70 will work up to 87, myself, at 85 will work similarly to get 95.

I always remember I am ranked against the state and every mark I can possibly get is valuable - and therefore for the purposes of the HSC, don't even bother, unless you know the person is lazy.

HOWEVER, these people are usually very open to help others - why? When they review things with you, they are applying knowledge they already have but may be somewhat fuzzy on, and help themselves. I'm always open to help - because I've learned that teaching others is a great way to revise material. Use them as a resource, don't suffer in silence, study with them.

Besides, most of the smart people are introverts like myself and would love to have some company around!
A quote by Napoleon Hill - What the mind concieves and believes, The mind will achieve.

If you put your mind to something, Anything is possible. Not doubting your words, But its a bit misleading.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I still think that if two people, one smart, one average, put their mind to study - the smarter would come out higher than the average, as the smart has already a high level of knowledge, or an ability to apply it - and he or she adds on to it.

Tom-Dunlop

HSC
lol.. I know a kid.. tops chem, physics, math, engineering but not english (yay) lol... yeah its not that i hate him or anything.. i just hate his mind -.- lol

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Trick them into believing that you're dumb and when they're off guard, get them.
But to trick people into thinking you're dumb, you have to fail exams. In the HSC year, that usually doesn't work out too well...

Also, I read somewhere that increasing your vocabulary is automatic IQ points. So maybe that can be interpreted as the "I" in IQ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)